Best wood treatment for new timber garage

joe90

As some of you may know from my other thread I am thinking of building a wooden garage (because foundations etc will be difficult). It comes in kit form, log style 44mm thick, will look “pretty” as well.    However it comes untreated (and I hate painting!). A lot of external wood/fence treatment is fir sawn wood (rough) but this is planed so will not absorb very well. So, any suggestion on what to use now that creosote is no longer allowed. ?

Rye oil - Cedar Cladding Oil / Decking Oil.

https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/deckingoil/

Have done all my cladding with the above, one heavy coat, 12 months on as good as it went on.

Very easy to apply, with a wide brush, soaks in over the next couple of days.

Not expensive and goes a long way.  I will be doing our log building with it, in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Just now, gc100 said:

Go oil based not water based - will last much longer. 

ps my house is painted in barn paint and it’s cheap, easy to go on and excellent finish with zero issues so far 2 years down the road as another option 

48 minutes ago, gc100 said:

ps my house is painted in barn paint and it’s cheap, easy to go on and excellent finish with zero issues so far 2 years down the road as another option 

Can you give me a name please, want to look at all options.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

However it comes untreated (and I hate painting!).

It's nothing like creosote in terms of colour, but SiOO:X should give you 10 yrs + without re-treating.  Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I've used it on the house cladding, and I'll be using it on the garage when I get round to building it.  Planed timber might need a rough sanding first though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gc100 said:

Bedec Barn Paint? I've used it in satin black, amazing coverage and seems to do the job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

It's nothing like creosote in terms of colour, but SiOO:X should give you 10 yrs + without re-treating.  Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I've used it on the house cladding, and I'll be using it on the garage when I get round to building it.  Planed timber might need a rough sanding first though.

Does the wood still go off and grey up nicely? (I’m after something that will for a shed myself)

10 hours ago, joe90 said:

Can you give me a name please, want to look at all options.

Black Barn Paint Woodtech BARNJACKET Acrylic Opaque Woodstain

or Bedec (the original barn paint - more expensive though)

Edited by gc100
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have been on the tinternet and Cuprinol garden shades gets very good reviews, no primer and 6 year life expected .

We used Cuprinol Garden Shades on a small garden bench back in 2015 and it's still looking good. We then painted a small garden shed with the same in 2019 and that is also good. Quite expensive though. We also used Creoseal on a fence and that protected well for several years until we moved house. You can still buy Creosote for professional use.

https://www.creosotesales.co.uk/product-category/creosote-substitute/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I reviewed this year's ago when I had time....Tikkurila. it will be expensive but it'll be a looong time before you paint it again. 

Now this is what is available from the garage supplier, yes expensive but I want a good job 👍

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Osmo uv protection oil. 

Also very expensive, but very impressed so far. 

Well my oak conservatory was treated with that and it disappeared quite quickly so I was not impressed 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

Just heard from the kit garage suppliers (very good at customer relations) and Tikkurila is what they found to be the best and can supply with the garage. However their  colour choice is brown yellow or white 🤷‍♂️which is not great. Decision yet to be made!

Edited by joe90

On 02/03/2023 at 08:01, gc100 said:

Does the wood still go off and grey up nicely? (I’m after something that will for a shed myself)

Yes, a nice even grey.  The only downside is some black mould spots that I'm hoping will fade in time, but you don't really notice them unless you're up close. 

4 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Yes, a nice even grey.  The only downside is some black mould spots that I'm hoping will fade in time, but you don't really notice them unless you're up close. 

That’s fine - I want something to blend into the countryside- the older it looks the better. Just don’t want it to rot!