65C top-up water for a bath?

puntloos

So.. I am aware ASHPs lose a lot of efficiency above a certain temperature, so I imagine my hot water tank to sit at say say 50C. 

But here's a use case: if you have a 38C warm bath, and the water starts to cool down, you might want to top up. The most water-saving method of doing this is of course having the top-up water as hot as possible, so 65-ishC would perhaps be ideal while keeping somewhat safe. 

Are inline 'water heat boosters' (presumably electric) a thing? Something that would on demand take 50C water to 65? And is this a good idea or am I overthinking things?

Fair. Perhaps the cost of a water heater creates so much waste (just by its production) that the overflowing lukewarm water lost occasionally (I don't linger in baths that often anyway) is better for the world.

But still, if this is one 25 quid bobbin one puts into a void somewhere.. 

1 hour ago, puntloos said:

top-up water as hot as possible, so 65-ishC

It's just illegal, so no issues really - that sort of temperature can kill a child and do adults no good either.

1 second at 60 to cause 3rd degree burns!

Recent case where child had run a bath unsupervised and jumped in.  Not sure if child died or just badly burned, but mom/dad ended up in prison I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting points here. Yes 65C water, as it exists in (gas-heated) cylinders is super hot and can certainly do damage, but - handwavingly, if you have a tub of say 35C water, to get it to 38C by using 44C water you need to replace (aka throw away) half of the bath.

Heated bath is intruiging @joth but that particular one is certainly way too weird :)

• Like 1

How about bonding an electric UFH mat onto the underside of the tub backed by some  roll insulation. 

You might even be able to avail of a thermostatic function, should work for those who like to read entire novellas in the tub. 

Jesus. I leave you lot alone for a few hours and now we have a bath with a heated blanket.

65°C out of a bath tap is no longer permissible. That’s lunacy. The most a bath hot tap or mixer can have coming out of it is 46°C, above that is an instant b-regs failure.

So “NO”. 

• Like 3

On 15/02/2023 at 21:16, Jenni said:

My heat pump installer said to just run the immersion / legionnaires cycle on bath night.

He's an idiot.

That cycle should be performed early hours of the morning, ideally in line with an EV car charging ( cheap rate ) tariff, and scheduled as to purposefully avoid scalding someone.

• Like 1

I like a toasty soak but I'll have to guess as our tub is too big and nukes the full tank for a half bath. 41 would be my guess. I'm sure we got warned visiting Japan about temps over 43 in the onsen. Those were too hot for a long dip. 

Reminds me... Need to lookup compact Japanese style short deep tubs for when I get round to sorting the bathroom in 2025.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2023 at 13:44, Nickfromwales said:

Jesus. I leave you lot alone for a few hours and now we have a bath with a heated blanket.

65°C out of a bath tap is no longer permissible. That’s lunacy. The most a bath hot tap or mixer can have coming out of it is 46°C, above that is an instant b-regs failure.

So “NO”. 

If the cylinder is heated to anything above that, how would you reduce the temp coming out of a non-mixing bath tap? I've only measured the temp at our kitchen tap (as it's the furthest away from the cylinder) and that was ~ 55c. One bath's in the same room as the cylinder so I'd expect it to nearly match the stat temp. 

56 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

If the cylinder is heated to anything above that, how would you reduce the temp coming out of a non-mixing bath tap? I've only measured the temp at our kitchen tap (as it's the furthest away from the cylinder) and that was ~ 55c. One bath's in the same room as the cylinder so I'd expect it to nearly match the stat temp. 

I put a thermostatic mixing valve on the hot outlet of the cylinder, set to 550C, and if the bath tap is not thermostatic, another TMV has to go in to cap the bath at 46oC.

"We have the technology" :) 

• Like 1