Local paper did a feature on our house.

Our architect asked if we would talk to a journalist in the local paper for a bit of publicity. I said yes as they have been very good and I was happy to do them a favour. 

It turned into a full feature with photos and much more quotes from me than I anticipated. 

I cringe a bit reading it but if you are interested it's here https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/property/3974146/inside-black-fox-barn-a-stunning-new-build-woodland-home-in-angus/ 

There is a paywall wall but just hit the blue x on the bottom banner and you can access it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

You have built a fantastic house, just the way we'd like. I'm very impressed. Thank you for sharing the article, it's inspiring! Who needs art on the walls with those views! 

That's nice of you to say so, thanks.

Unlike the person on the paper's Instagram post who said it was "another featureless laboratory" followed by a crying angry face emoji. 😃

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I take it you had to do a lot of tidying up for the photos?

We're verging on being pathological about not having clutter or stuff, so that's pretty much how we live. Not for everyone I know.

47 minutes ago, MDC said:

Who needs art on the walls with those views! 

The trees march to within a few feet of the house and a stream burbles its way past the property.

Someone is a poet!

Thanks for sharing the article.

I hope, for the sake of the view, that the fields are very fertile and the farmer isn't tempted by grants to plant a forest.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I hope, for the sake of the view, that the fields are very fertile and the farmer isn't tempted by grants to plant a forest

I believe they have all had a very good year around here with wheat and barley so let's hope not.

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The trees march to within a few feet of the house

Like in Lord of the Rings?

Anyway, that sounds better than ' an area of trees was felled to make room for the house.'

Seriously, I assume they are conifers so of no risk to the founds?

The needles might fill the gutters though if that close.

19 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Seriously, I assume they are conifers so of no risk to the founds?

The needles might fill the gutters though if that close.

I don't think we have any conifers, mix of alder, oak, beach and willow. A few alder had to come down for access but that's about it. Red squirrel central here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

It's stunning. Our roof will be similar but the architect has specified zinc. The composite looks tremendous. You are so neat!

Cheers, we went for standing seam steel for the roof and 1st floor. Zinc was a bit pricey for us.

• Like 1

Needs tat to make it homely imho.

Just shout if you need acres of poor quality shelving adorned with knick-knacks, covered in a layer of dust. Ditto ornaments that can't be gotten rid of because so and so bought it for Mum 60 years ago. That and her ever growing collection of cardboard boxes...

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Thats an impressive kitchen.  And impressive self-discipline. Scandi innit..... 

Howdens finest, it was a pig to put in.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Needs tat to make it homely imho.

Just shout if you need acres of poor quality shelving adorned with knick-knacks, covered in a layer of dust. Ditto ornaments that can't be gotten rid of because so and so bought it for Mum 60 years ago. That and her ever growing collection of cardboard boxes...

😉

I can't handle lots of stuff, makes me feel uncomfortable. We have some loft space but deliberately did not put a hatch in so we could not be tempted to store stuff that we would never look at. I'm sure visitors think we are barmy.

Uncluttered space creates calm.

But behind that calmness is a real determination to create that calm. And thats hard work. A constant self discipline to - for example - put things in the dishwasher rather than next it, put shoes away rather than kick them off on the way to the shower, put newspapers in the rack rather than leave them on the settee, put stuff away all the time.

I can't manage it. But when I do put stuff away (Saturday mornings only)  I feel better - organised. For about an hour 😕

Lovely house and view of the Angus hills. I may well have driven down your road when the house was under construction when I bought a second hand chainsaw. 

Who fitted your standing seam roof? 

There’s definitely a balance between a house looking cluttered and looking burgled where they stole everything. 😂 We have friends who live in a similarly empty house. They’ve lived in 20 odd houses and built 4 of them. They says it makes moving easier when you don’t own any stuff. They do have a single picture on a wall of their current place so they may be putting roots down. 

Edited by Kelvin

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Uncluttered space creates calm.

But behind that calmness is a real determination to create that calm. And thats hard work. A constant self discipline to - for example - put things in the dishwasher rather than next it, put shoes away rather than kick them off on the way to the shower, put newspapers in the rack rather than leave them on the settee, put stuff away all the time.

I can't manage it. But when I do put stuff away (Saturday mornings only)  I feel better - organised. For about an hour 😕

Exactly right. I don't think it's practical for most people and it would be no fun for kids to live like this. 

59 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Lovely house and view of the Angus hills. I may well have driven down your road when the house was under construction when I bought a second hand chainsaw. 

Who fitted your standing seam roof? 

There’s definitely a balance between a house looking cluttered and looking burgled where they stole everything. 😂 We have friends who live in a similarly empty house. They’ve lived in 20 odd houses and built 4 of them. They says it makes moving easier when you don’t own any stuff. They do have a single picture on a wall of their current place so they may be putting roots down. 

Thanks!

The roof was done by F D Roofing & Cladding in Glasgow. It's pretty impossible to get anyone local who does this. 

Wife keeps mentioning something for the walls but as yet nothing has appeared.