Houses build for the future

NickK

Hi,

Most mainstream developers don’t seem to build 4 bed houses with possible future needs in mind - decent size bedroom and bathroom on ground floor. Sometimes there is small study and utility that can be changed to bathroom but then what about utility? In short, has anyone seen or managed to design average sized house (say around 130sqm) with future needs in mind? I guess bungalow may be the answer but it’s not for everyone and 2 storey will be more economical to build. Thanks

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

But, if all new houses get sold, then they are what people want, and too cheap.

I'd argue that this doesn't demonstrate that it's what people want, merely that it's the only choice they've got. Price is a another question but looking at the profits of the large developers, the margins are good and people are only paying that price due to restricted supply. 

I don't think it's in developers' interests to look at future needs, rather to bank the money they can now and look forward to another sale tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, SimonD said:

I'd argue that this doesn't demonstrate that it's what people want, merely that it's the only choice they've got. Price is a another question but looking at the profits of the large developers, the margins are good and people are only paying that price due to restricted supply. 

I don't think it's in developers' interests to look at future needs, rather to bank the money they can now and look forward to another sale tomorrow.

Well yes, and no.

It is local councils who decide the future needs, and we vote (or usually don't vote) them in, so that is the choice of the people. 

Price is a difficult one, regardless of supply levels, developer profitability, or need, if something is being sold out and someone cant buy it, then it is too cheap.

The problem is really distribution of sales, not the actual product/service on sale.

Or ignorant purchasers.

If people were really struggling to find anywhere to live, they would go to the selling agents and point this out every Saturday morning.  The selling agents, who seem to have no problem selling homes, will not see a problem otherwise.

41 minutes ago, NickK said:

Most mainstream developers don’t seem to build 4 bed houses with possible future needs in mind 

They don't build for current needs. They build what the legislation and lack of checks and balances permit them to, knowing they can sell everything they build due to the restricted supply.

• Like 1

Around us new houses are more expensive than older housing stock, even on the same site.

People want new, prepared to pay extra, even if it's smaller, they think there's no decorating etc, heating costs are low etc. even if the house has an EPC B or C rated.  Decorating hopes soon fade when 12 months later the house is full of cracks.

All fair points. I guess everything comes with experience. When we bought our first house, downstairs room and bathroom was never on our wish list. Now with so much more knowledge from here and other resources, I would certainly build with future needs in mind.

I think councils should make this provision compulsory in planning stages but I guess house price would be higher and hence some people would be priced out. Just can’t win, I guess

The usual problem with 4 bed houses is that you end up with a large landing which make all the bedrooms smaller. Mainstream developers don't give a sh*t what customers want as there is enough demand for their current range of boxes.  Their shareholders are there real customers - harsh but true.  Many self builders have lovely 4 bedroom homes, but with only 130sqm you are going to struggle to fit everything in. 

I put the drivers down to a mixture of:

+ housing economics (i.e a deliberate land shortage) which causes the big developers to make ticky tacky boxes, built to low standard, with the smallest possible rooms and on the smallest possible plots. Yes, they can sell all they make.

+ largely uncontrollable LPAs who are there to protect the status quo and support the big developers in their aim above - the big developments are the easiest way for the LPAs to meet their targets.

+ lowest common denominator regs partly for 'affordable housing' which usually means 'low quality' housing.

+ fairly dumb consumers who until very recently haven't given a fig for energy efficiency and/or how their house is constructed.

I probably wouldn't bother to build if I could buy the kind of thing I want.

• Like 1

Square boxes with two rooms and toilet downstairs and four small bedrooms upstairs is easy to ‘design’ and fit on small plots. We’ve designed ours so that we could live downstairs should we end up incapable of climbing the stairs. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

Many self builders have lovely 4 bedroom homes, but with only 130sqm you are going to struggle to fit everything in. 

I have 3 bedrooms in out 150 square metre house.  That is comfortable with decent sized rooms.  4 bedrooms in 130 square metres is probably not what most self builders really want.

• Like 1

Agree with size v comfort sizes dilemma. I was just curious.

I did have a go at various version and best I managed to achieve was about 160sqm for 3 decent size upstairs bedroom, bathroom and en-suite. Then bedroom, bathroom, utillity and everything else downstairs.

Ultimately, build your own to get exactly what your heart desires 😀

• Like 1

A small developer near us has started putting bungalows on all his developments. He was forced, on a four plot development, to build bungalows by the LPA and they sold like hot cakes! On the next development of five plots, two were bungalows and they sold first while the large four and five bedroom houses hung around while people haggled over the asking price. Bungalows are suitable for everyone but not everyone can or, indeed, wants to live in a house. It could be said that it is discrimination against the disabled to build a whole development with no single storey houses available.

We found it wasn’t possible to buy the kind of property we wanted in the areas that we wanted to live in (2 bedrooms upstairs, 2 bedrooms/studies downstairs, dining kitchen, utility, living room). Chalet bungalows got closest, but we couldn’t find one big enough.

We had to compromise in the end (extended chalet with one study in a garden room, kitchen a bit small and no downstairs shower) so will have to move when stairs become an issue.

I’m pretty envious of the self-builders as it would be marvellous to get just the layout we really want.