Use space under the stairs

Hi All,

Have you seen any interesting conversions to make use of the empty space under the ground floor stairs?
I have two walls in between the stairs. There is no access at the back as that space is used by the fridge but I was thinking about converting the remaining space under the stairs into some storage for shoes but also for some long storage of food e.g. jars.

The stairs are immediately at the front doors so it makes sense to use it for shoes but there is plenty of space for other stuff.
I think this would be like secret doors at every step but then each step would have to have its own support.

What do you think? Have you seen it anywhere?

When I suggested to my builder that he needed a new site van he whispered to me that it wasn't a good idea because trades would just sit in it all day  drinking tea. 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Here's a selection of videos for you to peruse, and maybe  kickstart your own ideas.

I'm looking forward to making ours - 

In my case is a bit tricky because I have solid walls on both sides so I need to install these shallow and long drawers not on the side.
But this space just begs to be used. This is a decent engineering project for a novice.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of thinking and making and installing those drawers is a job for a pro especially if this is done between two solid walls so I am going to look into converting the stairs into cupboard units instead - a lot simpler.
I think lower steps will have doors on the side and upper steps will become a door in itself so items can be put from above.

Not sure if you have ever come across such solution.

• 3 months later...

My latest idea and I think the easiest is to fit little doors on every other 2nd step and convert the space into 2 step high compartments.
Since I convert these old stairs and each step relies on the other I have to ground or wall support the boards above and below the little doors.
It could well be the compartment includes also the step above then 3 step compartments, doors every 3rd step.
I won't do it to the very top but only halfway down because as you can see on the picture there is a space for the fridge behind the plasterboard from the kitchen side.

Screenshot_2023-04-08_11-22-15.thumb.jpg.d57023fe52be432a8d52ea717e62ddb6.jpg

I store my scaffold tower under the stairs.

Made a shelf, then boxed with a removable panel.

I am currently making some long draws for the bedroom, on the final one at last.

Not that hard to make, once you have made a couple of decent angle plate, then just glue and screw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I converted our under stairs area with pull out drawers.   The runners are weight rated to 90Kg and allow the drawer to be opened fully.  The drawer boxes I constructed were 800mm deep and it enables so much of the space to be used.  The other great advantage, is that due to the space being enclosed it keeps really cool, so you can store food stuffs in there too.  We find potatoes last so much longer as it's cool and dark.   You can store beer in there and it's basically cool enough to drink.

Edited by flanagaj