Garage door configuration

jamiehamy

Looking for some thoughts to help me decide on this. We're about to start the garage walls and I need to decide whether to go for a double garage door or two singles. 

My thinking is that two singles is probably best as it will be easier too get cars into position as the garage is 6.5m wide(assuming I use it as a 4 car garage rather than try squeeze 6)

Possibly more privacy when working as can have one door open for light and air (it's pretty much underground). 

The only problem is that undoubtedly I'll want to put a car trailer in and singles will be too small. 

Double:

Most likely cheaper

Can get most unusual thingsin. 

Bit of a pain lining cars up every time if I want space between them. 

If I went single,  they'd need to be a decent width - do these things come in 'standard' sizes or just get made to measure? 

Also. How high can I have them? I was thinking roller doors as I want at least 2m if not more to ensure I can get a pop top campervan in. I'm assuming with roller I can pretty much have any height (and width)  door? (ceiling is 3m).

I need to decide by next weekend latest so would be interested in thoughts that might sway me one way or other. 

Thanks! 

Guest Alphonsox

We went for a couple of large insulated sectional single doors. Our choice was based mainly on local wind speed considerations rather than internal requirements. Quality doors are made to measure and can be made in most sizes as required.

Double, large door is surely much easier all round.

If you are worried about parking cars side by side, then paint a couple of lines. Think supermarket car park.

Single doors just restricts your options. What happens when you get a Rolls Royce? You'll never get it through a single door.

• Like 1

I've put a lot of thought into the same issue Jamie and from a post I put up on here, firstly sectional doors would be best for keeping draughts out (I assume as you've building it in ICF, it will be a proper work space even in winter).

2 single doors = 4 points for draughts as opposed to 1 large door obviously has both sides. I like you like the idea of being able to open one side as opening a large door lets all heat out in winter and less privacy. But with 2 single doors, I think you're more limited to your arrangements inside the garage at the sides, 1 large door you can easily put a car anywhere you want.

Difficult one.  We went for a 'double' door and it's fine, but I can certainly see the benefits of two single doors if you intend having two cars in the garage on a regular basis, as it would be a lot easier getting the second car in and out.  A lot depends how you intend using the garage.

My thinking with the double is that it would be around 3m-ish wide - if it's in the centre then there's a lot of space at either side. A would never need a wider door than that but you would need to manoeuvre cars parked behind the door to fit both in side by side (two parked cars being more than 3m). Argh. First world problem,  I accept that.  

Single not as flexible but double maybe less practical than you'd expect? 

Double = MUCH bigger lintel to span the gap = less height.

2 singles = 2 much smaller lintels = more height.

I am having a roller door so it can be custom made to have maximum opening size, in particular maximum height (I want to get my Landy in with the roof rack on)

5 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I wondered that too.......................

It just seems mahoosive. Not even a small hovercraft is that big :-p

Hmm. For day to day.  Two single fit the bill but probably. A decent sized double or slider is going to be more practical in the long term. The lintel just gets cast with the ICF pour,  just need to ensure it's suitable propped. Wind wise there is no issue as the location is very sheltered. I just worry about someone ramming. The garage door to get on (its at the roadside). Detachable bollards on the inside should do. External ones allow opportunity to defeat.  

I knocked down a garage with two singles and replaced with a double door. Much easier to get in. Anything wide like an SUV or trailer is tough with a single door.

Was the 3m width a typo? With 6.5m garage width I'd be going for a door between around 5.5m wide. Then positioning the cars should not be a problem. You can go up to 5.5x2.75m in a sectional door without issue. If you look at the Hormann brochure or others it gives you the possibilities. Larger doors might be more expensive special orders.

I have a double and a single on the new place. I considered a side slider but it would take up too much room inside the garage. They are also considerably more expensive and there is less of a choice of manufacturers and suppliers. 

To give you an idea I had quotes for a 5x2.5m 2.5x2.5m Hormann sectional. Including electric operation and windows which add to the price. Fully fitted they were roughly £3600 and £2500, so that is a big saving on a double versus two single doors. A white door with no windows would prob be a few hundred cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 09:01, AliG said:

I knocked down a garage with two singles and replaced with a double door. Much easier to get in. Anything wide like an SUV or trailer is tough with a single door.

Was the 3m width a typo? With 6.5m garage width I'd be going for a door between around 5.5m wide. Then positioning the cars should not be a problem. You can go up to 5.5x2.75m in a sectional door without issue. If you look at the Hormann brochure or others it gives you the possibilities. Larger doors might be more expensive special orders.

I have a double and a single on the new place. I considered a side slider but it would take up too much room inside the garage. They are also considerably more expensive and there is less of a choice of manufacturers and suppliers. 

To give you an idea I had quotes for a 5x2.5m 2.5x2.5m Hormann sectional. Including electric operation and windows which add to the price. Fully fitted they were roughly £3600 and £2500, so that is a big saving on a double versus two single doors. A white door with no windows would prob be a few hundred cheaper.

Thanks @AliG

Door is going to be 5026x2700 high (finalised it at the weekend :)  Good to get an idea on prices - not as bad as I feared, although I'd like a pedestrian door built into it.