Do foundations look right on house purchase?

Hi,

buying my first house. Planning permission was granted in 2006 and work on the foundations has started. As far as I understand this means the planning permission stays valid. 

my question is do the foundations look correct? I know it’s not the best photos and I don’t know much but should the brick work not go up to the edge of the concrete. It looks like there’s no room for a void.

any help appreciated 

2D4CAAF1-1B6D-4EA6-AE92-1621270D46E6.jpeg

It looks very narrow to me, either as an extension or a garage.  Surprising as there is plenty of room to make it wider.

To be honest I see possibly enough room for a whole new house?  Have you investigated that possibility?

• Thanks 1

Looks unusual. Looks like the slab has been extended to the inside face of the outer leaf. Just means that the inner skin will be built off the slab - I’d normally ask for reinforcement if this was the case-especially since the DPM looks like it has been installed below the slab. Also has implications for DPC/DPM locations and for depth of cavity.

You should check with Building Control-they will have inspection notes of what was built and will confirm if they are happy with the construction. They should also have a record of the proposal including the sub-floor construction.

Extension plans.pdfimage.thumb.png.0a8ef4a0e54cb84e4140a87de5240d82.pngAttached the plans and what I found on the building control website. Won't let me view any files. 

I agree it looks like it was a garage as the bricks are a different colour on the side of the house where it would have been. However, no record of demolition of a garage and the bank at the front of the house would make it inaccessible. 

On 10/10/2022 at 12:15, ETC said:

Looks unusual. Looks like the slab has been extended to the inside face of the outer leaf. Just means that the inner skin will be built off the slab - I’d normally ask for reinforcement if this was the case-especially since the DPM looks like it has been installed below the slab. Also has implications for DPC/DPM locations and for depth of cavity.

You should check with Building Control-they will have inspection notes of what was built and will confirm if they are happy with the construction. They should also have a record of the proposal including the sub-floor construction.

It could be a raft

On 10/10/2022 at 07:51, HazG said:

buying my first house.

Hello HazG

Fantastic, still remember when I bought my first house, was a flat but great feeling. You are a step ahead already!

Yes, the general concept (particularly in Scotland) is that once you get the thing poking out the ground you have satisfied all the planning condition in terms of a "start" Check the planning portal to make sure they notified planning that they have started work.

Before you think about the founds and the floor slab can you tell us why the seller did not complete the build.

You'll get loads of help here on BH but to get the best out of it then you need to start at the very beginning.. and work up from there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 23:40, Gus Potter said:

Hello HazG

Fantastic, still remember when I bought my first house, was a flat but great feeling. You are a step ahead already!

Yes, the general concept (particularly in Scotland) is that once you get the thing poking out the ground you have satisfied all the planning condition in terms of a "start" Check the planning portal to make sure they notified planning that they have started work.

Before you think about the founds and the floor slab can you tell us why the seller did not complete the build.

You'll get loads of help here on BH but to get the best out of it then you need to start at the very beginning.. and work up from there.

Hi, 

The seller did not complete the build as I believe the couple divorced at the time and neither wanted to fund the works