My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

12 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

that's an interesting potential solution but i recall @Nickfromwales saying once that flexible waste is bad idea! and he used it once when the customer insisted on it (or something along those lines, although it could've been a 110mm soil pipe from the toilet he was talking about. my mind is a bit fuzzy on those details!)

Can you rotate the pipe going into the ground? And I assume that strap on boss is glued and now permanent? 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can you rotate the pipe going into the ground? And I assume that strap on boss is glued and now permanent? 

sorry. my bad. the boss is not fixed at all. just dry running it to figure out how to get it to work!

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok. Just zoomed in. Not yet made up. 
OK. You need a boss socket / collar then? 

78EC5E67-41D4-4176-8349-60AC75E00ABF.png

yes, apart from the fact that that will make the pipes going away from the soil pipe too far away from the wall. i'd like them to be within the service cavity and i can't find anything less than 45° bend and the soil pipe is too close to the wall to allow that.

make sense?

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Only one of those is open, as supplied, and the other two are “blind” so just saw off the redundant one, drill out the 2 at 90° to each other, and bingo. Rotate so each accept a 45 waste fitting and problem solved? 

i guess i could cut away some of the insulation at the bottom of the wall to give me more space to fit the 45° bends? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

yes, apart from the fact that that will make the pipes going away from the soil pipe too far away from the wall. i'd like them to be within the service cavity and i can't find anything less than 45° bend and the soil pipe is too close to the wall to allow that.

make sense?

Not just that, but you need 2x connections disappearing at 180° from the soil pipe, so you’d need one above the other.

You can go further back (rotate that grey collar more, put a 50mm reducer into and the an M&F (aka street) elbow into it rising vertically, and then fit a 50mm double branch (aka intersection). Then 40mm reducers into each side and pick the pipes up a bit higher up. 

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not just that, but you need 2x connections disappearing at 180° from the soil pipe, so you’d need one above the other.

You can go further back (rotate that grey collar more, put a 50mm reducer into and the an M&F (aka street) elbow into it rising vertically, and then fit a 50mm double branch (aka intersection). Then 40mm reducers into each side and pick the pipes up a bit higher up. 

tbh, not sure what you mean here! 

this is what I was thinking with the boss collar you linked?

image.thumb.png.00266fd28dc98cc8e8c00fce9c0d4a2f.png

or like this with 2 x strap bosses

Untitled_Artwork2.thumb.png.3a648d2161d73ad862544a065ee6873b.png

the boss for the shower needs to be as low as possible to give a required fall from the shower to the soil pipe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crispy_wafer said:

@Nickfromwales trying to piece this together.

So would that be one of these out of the bossimage.png.4e7ed1a40467fcc2c8d85cb6fcb51d25.png  a short piece of pipe to connect one of theseimage.png.3ed8ab1092a3fcc69331d984449e3de7.png then the wash m/c and shower into each branch?, and then a bung in the top.

the problem for me with this solution is the shower waste will be relatively high off the ground. the higher it is going in to the soil pipe the higher I have to fit the dog shower! I do have some lee-way as we're not fitting the shower to the ground but we don't want it so high that it's hard for a smaller dog to get in to.

Screenshot2023-07-17at14_34_55.png.1c08142e457130c32f16a811eda711c6.png

5 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Can you solweld to the orange stuff?, I've never tried thought it was a no go so I replaced all my stubs with black pipe, or is that just an internet myth?

It’s fine as long as it’s cleaned, decontaminated and roughed with some 80grit. 
You need to use “gap filler” cement instead of solvent weld to bond these together successfully. 
I always twist the fittings back and forth a good few times to get the plastics to ‘weld’, and you can feel

when to stop doing it as the glue starts to bond and cure quite quickly after it displaces what’s not needed in the joint. If poss, it’s nice to use solvent cleaner and a lint-free cloth to remove excess glue from the pipe, internally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

If you can't  get osma bends use any other. 

i'm sure i've previously read on here that different manufacturers can have slightly different sizings and so it's best to stick with the same manufacturer! or am i misremembering that as well?

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

You can join most angles together with a pair of bends, if you have enough length.  If you can't  get osma bends use any other. 

also seems a moot point as I can't find anything but 45° or 90° bends in any manufacturers waste pipes. 😞 

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

also seems a moot point as I can't find anything but 45° or 90° bends in any manufacturers waste pipes. 😞 

I used all Floplast in my last build because I wanted to be sure every fitting fitted together. Floplast do a good range, but no good if you've already started.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-solvent-weld-bend-135-white-50mm/29473

19 minutes ago, Gone West said:

I used all Floplast in my last build because I wanted to be sure every fitting fitted together. Floplast do a good range, but no good if you've already started.

i used Floplast for all my 110mm pipework but when i was researching the waste pipe i found the Osma Wavin stuff from CityPlumbing was cheaper than the Floplast stuff.

21 minutes ago, Gone West said:

but this is still a 45° bend. no one seems to make a 22.5° bend for plastic waste pipe.

image.thumb.jpg.6df5a99ae96982d4bbdf4ece344a8fd1.jpg

Apologies for the shite drawing. My desktop just snuffed it. Tidy.

So, you chisel out a bit of the floor, if you need to get low as a slugs scrotum, and do as per the above. 
A 50mm strap on boss with a vertically rising M&F bend into it, with the male 'spigot' of the bend sawn down to get it as close to the boss as possible, then rotate the soil pipe clockwise until the M&F bend is as far around as possible. 
Then you fit another M&F bend into the first and you’ve got a universal joint which can come off at any angle. 
2x M&F bends cut down will only be apart the thickness of the pipe, so you’ll only get 50mm rise from FFL. Should be plenty fall for the dog shower tbh. 
Use a space saver shower trap to keep the tray as low as possible. 
89C212F4-56C3-48C5-AA81-35DC044B54A8.thumb.png.cb69bc4316946af4eef2644a344fc5d7.png

You could even rise into that intersection branch (instead of the second M&F 90 bend) and do both inputs via the single boss, if there's room to sneak a 40mm waste around the back of the soil pipe. Just use a few M&F 45's in the 40mm waste to get you around it maybe?

31 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

image.thumb.jpg.6df5a99ae96982d4bbdf4ece344a8fd1.jpg

Apologies for the shite drawing. My desktop just snuffed it. Tidy.

So, you chisel out a bit of the floor, if you need to get low as a slugs scrotum, and do as per the above. 
A 50mm strap on boss with a vertically rising M&F bend into it, with the male 'spigot' of the bend sawn down to get it as close to the boss as possible, then rotate the soil pipe clockwise until the M&F bend is as far around as possible. 
Then you fit another M&F bend into the first and you’ve got a universal joint which can come off at any angle. 
2x M&F bends cut down will only be apart the thickness of the pipe, so you’ll only get 50mm rise from FFL. Should be plenty fall for the dog shower tbh. 
89C212F4-56C3-48C5-AA81-35DC044B54A8.thumb.png.cb69bc4316946af4eef2644a344fc5d7.png

29 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You could even rise into that intersection branch (instead of the second M&F 90 bend) and do both inputs via the single boss, if there's room to sneak a 40mm waste around the back of the soil pipe. Just use a few M&F 45's in the 40mm waste to get you around it maybe?

think this will take a little time to digest. I'm sure I'll have further questions but I need to think about your solution and draw it up!

thank you once again for your valuable input.

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

I’ll see if I have fittings on site tomorrow and mock it up / post pics. 

Thanks! Was going to go to City Plumbing and just buy the stuff to see if it works. Shouldn’t cost me more than a tenner and it’d prove once and for all that I’m not tight! But if you can that’d be amazing. 

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should be plenty fall for the dog shower tbh. 

ps. to be honest I actually want to use a very deep trap with a removable 'filter' type thing so the boss doesn't have to be completely at floor level. I want it to act like a catch-pit type thing so I can easily remove any mud and other stuff that comes off the dog. I've not researched them yet though but surely they exist?

Edited by Thorfun