My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

23 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

so.....while I was procrastinating about what to do with the RWH header tank I decided to cut out the chipboard for our en-suite shower former. we decided on and bought the 1850mm x 900mm Impey system. I was very fortunate in that the tray was 39mm away from each wall and the blade on my circular saw, by complete chance, was 39mm from the edge of the guard! I set it to 21mm depth so as to not cut in to the posi-joists and let rip! I couldn't do all of it though and had to use the multi-tool for some, which was really slow.

anyway, it's done and the former fits and there's space for the waste between the joists.....just!*

IMG_5087.jpeg.fed138e18afdbd22f0534aa2b2e5e84a.jpegIMG_5091.jpeg.a035c5e64803c5517cad943db41f76a6.jpeg

lovely. but, as always, I have questions!

1. do I need to fit extra support at the right end (it overhangs the joist by about 40mm)

2. do I need supports along the long edges? our joists are at 300mm centres which leaves about 150mm between edges of joists. I'm thinking that the impey should be fine without extra support but thought I'd double check.

3. our tiler wants the tray to be 6mm proud of the floor so he can put board down to tank and tile on to. he doesn't recommend tiling straight on to the 22mm chipboard. What is the best wood to use to raise the former by 6mm? would it simply be 6mm ply? or is there something better?

* I've not actually got the waste out to test yet so that comment is with this caveat. but it 'looks' like it'll fit. 😉 

1. At the end(s), yes, 100%.
  2. No need at all. These trays are the dachshunds danglers.
  3. Put 6mm ply under the tray, then lay the tray on top of that. Your tiler is spot-on, and you just wrap around the rest with more 6mm ply, glued and screwed at 100mm o/c's. 

Are you using the Impey (water-guard?) system eg the membrane to go wall to wall sides and ends?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:
  1. At the end(s), yes, 100%.
  2. No need at all. These trays are the dachshunds danglers.
  3. Put 6mm ply under the tray, then lay the tray on top of that. Your tiler is spot-on, and you just wrap around the rest with more 6mm ply, glued and screwed at 100mm o/c's. 

Are you using the Impey (water-guard?) system eg the membrane to go wall to wall sides and ends?

yep. tiler is going to use the Impey water guard system on the floor and lipped up the wall (I believe) and then we talked about him painting the liquid tanking on the walls. he said liquid on the walls is belt and braces and I'm all for that so we're happy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thorfun said:

yep. tiler is going to use the Impey water guard system on the floor and lipped up the wall (I believe) and then we talked about him painting the liquid tanking on the walls. he said liquid on the walls is belt and braces and I'm all for that so we're happy. 

If no shower door / screen, then be sure to fit hardwood door linings / architraves etc and paint them if so required. They all need to be sat into a fat bead of CT1 and then you'll not suffer any degradation of the timberwork.

• Thanks 1

need to get my master bed en-suite waste sorted out. I don't have a lot of space as directly below the area is our MVHR manifold and there are loads of 92mm MVHR ducts, electrical/network/home automation cables and water pipes below! it is tight.

I'm thinking of running the waste like this (please excuse the rubbish 3D drawing but hopefully with some text it'll make sense)

image.thumb.jpeg.81c6d6c71eacc79d8503c9ea3ee2c82c.jpeg

so, we have double basins and I was going to run one horizontal (with a slight fall) to the other and then straight down to below the floor boards (about 800mm I guess) where it will run for a bit between the posi-joists until it can go 90° down where it will run under the posis and then turn 90° to join the waste from the shower. The basin waste will be run in 40mm solvent pipe. The shower waste will go sideways and then almost immediately drop down about 300mm where it will run horizontally below the posi-joists picking up the basin waste and go into the soil stack via a boss. I really wanted to run the shower waste in 50mm pipe like @Nickfromwales told me but I'm really thinking that 40mm would be simpler to get the fittings for the basin waste to join the shower waste if it was all 40mm rather than getting a 40mm to 50mm swept tee. 

anyway, are those waste runs ok? with those bends? it really is very congested underneath so I'm thinking this is my best bet. here's a photo of the mess that is in those posi-joists.

image.jpeg.8c261182d5a0f8fc84187b39a4ec6091.jpeg

and with annotations!

image.jpeg.1e68eaa4d21d761320d0d5ddcbc8c348.jpeg

I also need to get the bath waste to that same soil stack but that's a whole other story. 😞 

so, long story short, any concerns with that waste run? it 'seems' ok to me but I've been wrong about my plumbing so many times before I would like to get the opinion of those that actually know what they're doing.

ps. forgot to mention that I am building a dropped ceiling below the posi-joists in the room the photo is of (it's the larder) to cover up the MVHR pipes and manifolds. this is why I'm able to run the waste below the posi-joists.

Edited by Thorfun
bit about dropped ceiling.

18 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

need to get my master bed en-suite waste sorted out. I don't have a lot of space as directly below the area is our MVHR manifold and there are loads of 92mm MVHR ducts, electrical/network/home automation cables and water pipes below! it is tight.

I'm thinking of running the waste like this (please excuse the rubbish 3D drawing but hopefully with some text it'll make sense)

image.thumb.jpeg.81c6d6c71eacc79d8503c9ea3ee2c82c.jpeg

so, we have double basins and I was going to run one horizontal (with a slight fall) to the other and then straight down to below the floor boards (about 800mm I guess) where it will run for a bit between the posi-joists until it can go 90° down where it will run under the posis and then turn 90° to join the waste from the shower. The basin waste will be run in 40mm solvent pipe. The shower waste will go sideways and then almost immediately drop down about 300mm where it will run horizontally below the posi-joists picking up the basin waste and go into the soil stack via a boss. I really wanted to run the shower waste in 50mm pipe like @Nickfromwales told me but I'm really thinking that 40mm would be simpler to get the fittings for the basin waste to join the shower waste if it was all 40mm rather than getting a 40mm to 50mm swept tee. 

anyway, are those waste runs ok? with those bends? it really is very congested underneath so I'm thinking this is my best bet. here's a photo of the mess that is in those posi-joists.

image.jpeg.8c261182d5a0f8fc84187b39a4ec6091.jpeg

and with annotations!

image.jpeg.1e68eaa4d21d761320d0d5ddcbc8c348.jpeg

I also need to get the bath waste to that same soil stack but that's a whole other story. 😞 

so, long story short, any concerns with that waste run? it 'seems' ok to me but I've been wrong about my plumbing so many times before I would like to get the opinion of those that actually know what they're doing.

ps. forgot to mention that I am building a dropped ceiling below the posi-joists in the room the photo is of (it's the larder) to cover up the MVHR pipes and manifolds. this is why I'm able to run the waste below the posi-joists.

Now you know why my ceiling looks a mess 🤣👍

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

but I'm really thinking that 40mm would be simpler to get the fittings for the basin waste to join the shower waste if it was all 40mm rather than getting a 40mm to 50mm swept tee. 

You can use one of these in the 50mm swept T if you wanted

FloPlast Solvent Weld Reducing Coupler 55mm x 43mm White - Screwfix

Edit:

I've been faffing with solvent weld this weekend and am using a couple of the above for the bath waste and basin

Edited by crispy_wafer

7 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

You can use one of these in the 50mm swept T if you wanted

FloPlast Solvent Weld Reducing Coupler 55mm x 43mm White - Screwfix

Edit:

I've been faffing with solvent weld this weekend and am using a couple of the above for the bath waste and basin

Could work, thanks. Will consider putting 50mm back on the table.

once I have confirmation that my waste run plan is ok I can plan the parts I need. 

3 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

image.png.b9c14f81840cdb1ff94e4b607ecdccf9.png

my efforts for the day!

overdone the clips as it ended up a bit cut and shut in places.  But once the ceilings up I'm not going to see it.

image.png.a3003b6e4054a29aded42e0f8e9cbdb0.png

image.png

Looks good to me! I don’t think you can have too many clips. 

• Thanks 1

So when you decide to start, do a dry run without glue pushing the pipe in the fittings and orientating as required.

once happy put marks across the pipe and fitting so when gluing you have a reference mark to align..

• Like 2

Sketch and plan looks ok to me.  I'm not sure you could make it any more efficient.  I try to think of a main spine for the heavy volumes of water, then branches for the smaller volumes, but then I don't make a living from this so take with a pinch of salt!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Sketch and plan looks ok to me.  I'm not sure you could make it any more efficient.  I try to think of a main spine for the heavy volumes of water, then branches for the smaller volumes, but then I don't make a living from this so take with a pinch of salt!

It was more the vertical drops. Not sure if that’s a bad thing or not! But, tbh, not sure how I could do it without them. 

I recall nick mentioning something at some point about noise issues when water drops vertically from height, so may need some sound insulation.  Or you could drop vertically to the floor above then use a couple of 45's to bring it into the horizontal'ish run.

4 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I recall nick mentioning something at some point about noise issues when water drops vertically from height, so may need some sound insulation.  Or you could drop vertically to the floor above then use a couple of 45's to bring it into the horizontal'ish run.

It’s above the larder so not worried too much about noise and I’ll stuff Rockwool in the dropped ceiling anyway. If noise is the only issue then I’m in the clear!

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Push all the pipework together dry fit . Mark a line on each bit matching a line on the next . Glue with tiger seal or similar so no pressure to get right in 3 seconds . Easy peasey !

Why are we now using Pu glues to fix solvent weld joints, and not solvent weld glue?

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why are we now using Pu glues to fix solvent weld joints, and not solvent weld glue?

Ffs ! It has been suggested many times on this forum ! ; as it allows time to fix joints ! . Usually I do normal solvent weld but on a tricky joint where I might need a bit of play I go pu route as it buys time . Ultimately does it matter ? . 
Honestly ! Follow advice on here . Quote it back at a later date . Then told it’s wrong !! 

34 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ffs ! It has been suggested many times on this forum ! ; as it allows time to fix joints ! . Usually I do normal solvent weld but on a tricky joint where I might need a bit of play I go pu route as it buys time . Ultimately does it matter ? . 
Honestly ! Follow advice on here . Quote it back at a later date . Then told it’s wrong !! 

Just unsure if it's actually fit for purpose? Solvent weld is all I've ever used / recommended, as it dissolves the plastics and "welds" the 2 mating surfaces together.

FWIW, I cannot recall reading here and this being said, but that doesn't mean I didn't, I just cannot recall.

Chillax, it's just an online forum where folk say stuff.

• Like 2

@Nickfromwales. qq. i have one shower waste that runs in a straight line to the soil stack that is 800mm away. do I really need to upsize that waste pipe to 50mm just for that short distance? seems a bit crazy and introducing extra joins for the reducers at each end for such a short run.

image.jpeg.7b5ef40e6103c7eadfe0e88a04ed211c.jpeg