Neighbour selling without Planning Permission

Becks1974

Hello,

My Neighbour has inherited the house that he is currently renovating (he actually lives next door to the house he is renovating).  He has made some substantial changes to the property, he has moved bathrooms around, built a massive raised patio at the back of the house (10m long x 2.5m wide x 1.5 m high), changed the front of the property to incorporate a double off road parking bay - we live in a conservation area.  

He has NOT got any sort of planning permissions for any of the works he has carried out - I know he has to have permission for the raised patio area as it is above 300mm high (plus the fact it is in a conservation area).

Since he inherited the house we have not got along and he has made our lives a misery with all the works he has done.

He has now decided to sell the property without any of the required permissions.  I know he will have to fill in the necessary homebuyers pack declaring works that he has done, however he is deceitful enough to not declare any of the work, or at least play it down so it looks like he doesn't need planning permissions.

My question is, will he actually get away with selling the house without gaining Planning permissions?  Or will it eventually catch-up with him?

Sorry if it seems really petty on our part, but he really thinks he can swan around and do what he wants without thought to those around him.

It could catch up with him but Its very rare for there to be much come back.  Usually the new buyer discovers the problem and decides to try and just ride out the 4 years that the planners have to take enforcement action.   

About the changes..

PP not needed for the internal changes to the bathrooms unless it's a Listed Building. New drainage might require Building Control Approval. 

I don't think PP is needed to pave the front garden even in a conservation area - provided the new surface is permeable or he deals with the rainwater run off on site.  He might need permission for a dropped kerb if he didn't have a driveway at all or he has made the existing dropped kerb wider. 

When did he last sell something? These days solicitors are far keener on checking paperwork.

Part of this sound OK wrt Planning and Building Control, some not.

One option is to let them sell it if you want rid of the project next door.

Another one is to ring up the Conservation Officer, Planning Office or BCO with an innocent "is this OK" query. Probably useful to query something that can be seen from the road.

You need to reflect very carefully on whether you want to do this.

Thanks all - I can't just sit back and do nothing as we have worked hard to obtain necessary planning consents for our extension to ensure we get everything right - he is so smug and swans around thinking he can do as he pleases - I might just lodge a formal notification to the enforcement department - it's just they take forever to sort things out by which time he'd have probably sold the house and it would fall on the new owners (which I wouldn't want).

With regards to his new bathroom, he moved it from downstairs to upstairs, so it would have been subject to Building regs, however I know he can just sort this by taking out an indemnity insurance which is cheaper than building regs.

43 minutes ago, Becks1974 said:

Hello,

My Neighbour has inherited the house that he is currently renovating (he actually lives next door to the house he is renovating).  He has made some substantial changes to the property, he has moved bathrooms around, built a massive raised patio at the back of the house (10m long x 2.5m wide x 1.5 m high), changed the front of the property to incorporate a double off road parking bay - we live in a conservation area.  

He has NOT got any sort of planning permissions for any of the works he has carried out - I know he has to have permission for the raised patio area as it is above 300mm high (plus the fact it is in a conservation area).

Since he inherited the house we have not got along and he has made our lives a misery with all the works he has done.

He has now decided to sell the property without any of the required permissions.  I know he will have to fill in the necessary homebuyers pack declaring works that he has done, however he is deceitful enough to not declare any of the work, or at least play it down so it looks like he doesn't need planning permissions.

My question is, will he actually get away with selling the house without gaining Planning permissions?  Or will it eventually catch-up with him?

Sorry if it seems really petty on our part, but he really thinks he can swan around and do what he wants without thought to those around him.

Does it impact you? Has the house been externally visually impacted? If not I would leave him alone.

If he is a total p**** then maybe fair enough, report him. Or just live and let live and don't let it bother you.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 3

How much of this is because you don’t like him versus it actually impacting you. If there is no impact to you then move on and forget about it. If you do complain and he finds out then it’s likely he’ll get all the necessary permissions should there be any needed and he’ll just make life more difficult for you. In life some things are worth the fight and some things not. Choose carefully what you will fight for. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Becks1974 said:

Thanks all - I can't just sit back and do nothing as we have worked hard to obtain necessary planning consents for our extension to ensure we get everything right - he is so smug and swans around thinking he can do as he pleases - I might just lodge a formal notification to the enforcement department - it's just they take forever to sort things out by which time he'd have probably sold the house and it would fall on the new owners (which I wouldn't want).

With regards to his new bathroom, he moved it from downstairs to upstairs, so it would have been subject to Building regs, however I know he can just sort this by taking out an indemnity insurance which is cheaper than building regs.

Dont understand this.

So, you followed the rules, and he didnt, possibly, though it doesnt sound as bad in terms of rule breaking as you like to think.

Let him sell it, and hopefully get a beter neighbur. Why prolong it?

Plus of course, if you raise, what is essentially a dispute, you will need to declare it if you sell your house.

The decision about buying is up to the buyer. If they are happy, thats their shout. I just did the same. Not a single planning or BC cert apart from the last 3 years. Do i care? No.

Like others I am a bit confused as to whether the guy just annoys you or there is an actual issue with the work done impacting you. If if doesn't;t actually affect you then forget about it.

In the next street, someone bought a listed house and started renovating it. I saw wood paneling from inside in a skip and checked, but no listed building application had been made.

I simply filled out a form informing the council. They sent someone along to check if work was being done without required permissions.

I got an email back saying nothing yet had been done which needed permission, but it would and they would be applying for it. I didn't believe they would have applied for permission, but the issue was dealt with. I just wanted to make sure that no work was done on a listed house without the correct permission as it would be a shame to ruin it. It is also a criminal offence, according to my architect (I haven't checked).

If you think work needs permission just inform the council, simple as that. If it is all within the rules he will get permission if there is an issue he will have to change it back. I would not consider this a neighbour dispute, anyone can notify the council of work without planning permission.

When we sold out last house we needed every single drawing from building control and planning for every piece of work we had ever had done. I doubt he will be able to easily sell it with obvious recent work and no permissions.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AliG said:

I just wanted to make sure that no work was done on a listed house without the correct permission as it would be a shame to ruin it.

Knock them down and build better houses.

(had a listed place once, never again)

1 hour ago, Becks1974 said:

plus I wouldn't want him as our immediate neighbour as he is a selfish git

Be thankful that you don't have @joe90 as a neighbour.  He bankrupted his neighbour, by sticking to the rules.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Be thankful that you don't have @joe90 as a neighbour.  He bankrupted his neighbour, by sticking to the rules.

Come on, be fair, he bankrupted himself and just tried to take his frustration out on me.

3 hours ago, AliG said:

I got an email back saying nothing yet had been done which needed permission, but it would and they would be applying for it. I didn't believe they would have applied for permission, but the issue was dealt with. I just wanted to make sure that no work was done on a listed house without the correct permission as it would be a shame to ruin it. It is also a criminal offence, according to my architect (I haven't checked).

Yes - unauthorised work to an LB is criminal.

Can get expensive.

There are strange corners to the law, such as if an 'orrible 1970s conservatory was on the building when listed it is protected.

And their tend to be fewer as you go N in England, aiui as Pevsner was more hurried up there and he was used as a bit of a guide.