Foundations slightly wrong

richo106

Hi

I have been to my project this morning and just checking over a few things and after a thought I wanted to check my foundations.

The foundations were doing between myself and civils guy but I now think they are about 6/8inch out as the architects drawings are slightly wrong and we used this as a reference point typically.

what options do I have? Can I add another strip next to the footing? I know not ideal but this is the time to do it now

any ideas/advice appreciated 

22 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Assume you saying they are 6" to 8"  out, not insurmountable ask your brickies.

How would they overcome something like that though? 

That’s give me a little hope haha but would be very interested to see how they could do it 

Thanks 

42 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Haha 

they are around 150mm out from being bang on I think 

In what way are they wrong?  Too close together or too far apart?  You might be able to nudge that by building to the edge of the foundation rather than the centre.  Or a compromise and offset the build as much as possible and accept the building might be slightly too big or too small and adjust.

Wrong position?  i.e. the whole building is 150mm offset in one direction?  Who would notice?  is it going to breach a planning condition?  will anybody bother to measure?

It needs to tie in with the existing building as it will be a double storey extension and the side wall needs to line up. 

below is a photo of where the wall needs to be

Can only see where the line of the wall needs to be now we have taken part of the existing garage down 

89225F65-41BC-410D-829D-2170B3B07DB2.jpeg

If the new foundations are 600 wide, are you off the foundation with one of the leaves?  If that is the case and you don't want to reposition the new wall it may be best to break it out and start again.  If it is just a small section you may get away with digging out next to it.  If BC are aware they may ask you to resin some studs into the side of existing to a design by your SE.

Hi Mark

It was a big thing that was overlooked but we are at the position in the build to correct this/decide a solution now

I have attached a couple of pictures that show the arch drawing and then how it should be and with the foundations in position currently in red. The critical thing is matching up with the existing side wall as the extension will be double storey

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as when measuring the other way we thought the measurements were but i went with the advice of the civils guys...to my annoyance I wish i followed this up earlier

Hope this makes sense

Top picture is what is like now, showing the foundations installed (600 wide) and also the nib of the garage that i have moved

Bottom pic - arch drawing

Foundations actual.png

foundations drawing.png

Edited by richo106

Sorry I am still confused.

Can you post a picture zoomed out showing a lot more of the building?

All I am seeing is the corner of an existing wall, forming an external corner, and the way you have the bricks set out that will NOT line up with the existing outer edge of the existing wall.  So I must be miss understanding the picture.  also I don't on the drawing see an external corner with a new wall joining on in the same direction?

All I see is you want to join an extension on so it is NOT in line with the existing?

No I don’t want it to join offset, that bit I have moved on the drawing is how it is in real life.

But as I will be adding another floor on top of it all, the outer walls need to line up.

I am either explaining this terribly or I am being very daft 

So your architect got it wrong?  The plans show the inside of the garage wall lining up with the outside of the continuation of that wall.  The reality shows the last bit of the garage wall offsets to the right compared to the rest of the wall.  And nobody noticed that detail was wrong until now?

6 hours ago, richo106 said:

what options do I have? Can I add another strip next to the footing? 

Add a strip next to the footing to widen it, but also add concrete depth over the existing footing to tie them together, otherwise the two strips of footing might move differentially and you don't want that. Effectively you will have thickened the footing a bit which shouldn't be an issue.. 

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So your architect got it wrong?  The plans show the inside of the garage wall lining up with the outside of the continuation of that wall.  The reality shows the last bit of the garage wall offsets to the right compared to the rest of the wall.  And nobody noticed that detail was wrong until now?

Correct, I have taken the roof off the existing bungalow and discovered the discrepancy 

13 minutes ago, Miek said:

Add a strip next to the footing to widen it, but also add concrete depth over the existing footing to tie them together, otherwise the two strips of footing might move differentially and you don't want that. Effectively you will have thickened the footing a bit which shouldn't be an issue.. 

I was thinking a strip of around 300mm, when you say depth over the footing…how much would be?

51 minutes ago, richo106 said:

I was thinking a strip of around 300mm, when you say depth over the footing…how much would be?

100mm+ at a guess, but run the idea past your BCO as they are the ones who you need to satisfy really. 

This is the typical kind of balls-up that happens when the architect's drawings don't reflect reality. Personally I'd be talking to the person who drew the plan and discuss issues to do with liability for the extra expense the error in capturing the building layout will incur. Perhaps one of our tame in-house practitioners might like to comment?

Well despite me designing our build i used an architect to transfer my pencil and paper drawings to CAD for the council application, he got it wrong three times before I accepted it as correct 🤯

Edited by joe90