Banging sound

Moggaman

Hi. We moved into new home in July. It is block build with 150mm cavity. We have Widespan slabs sitting on ground floor walls. Block walls upstairs. It is a 1.5 storey rectangular  house with a simple A roof where the rafters rest on a 2 beams 12m long beams that span from gable to gable.

Beams are supported across its span by upstairs block walls. 
thing is …. Every night there are multiple loudish bangs… may 10 every night…probably during the day too but we are not there. It sounds like if someone hit the wall with their hand or a mallet.. it’s difficult to understand where it is coming from… my best guess is that it sounds like it’s coming from the gable walls….has me confused and a bit concerned. I have since been looking all around the house in detail…and notice many hairline cracks on the walls…none are more then hairline but there are quite a lot especially over the doors

any guidance please 

I came here to make some joke about the Ministry of Sound having banging sound.

But reading the post, sounds possible it's roof trusses shifting slightly as the temperature cools, and noise transmitting through to the walls. Is it more noticeable on hot days with cooler nights?

1 hour ago, joth said:

I came here to make some joke about the Ministry of Sound having banging sound.

But reading the post, sounds possible it's roof trusses shifting slightly as the temperature cools, and noise transmitting through to the walls. Is it more noticeable on hot days with cooler nights?

Not sure really… every night 

How exposed to wind is the building?

Need to define banging - not only in sound but also time between bangs, time of bangs, what the conditions are outside when it happens.

Have seen roofing felt not fixed, under tiling, flapping in the night when the wind is in a particular direction....

Very hard to say.

In our last house the developers had not put the bracing into the roof and had not actually fixed the roof properly to the frame. They had to strip off all the tiles and fix it.However, this only resulted in strange noises when it was very windy. Otherwise you would not have known.

In our current noise the bath makes a single bang a couple of hours after use as it contracts. We have one drain pipe in a ceiling that appears to rub against something and can make a creaking noise when hot water passes through it.

Again in our old house the conservatory would make quite a few bang/creak noises as it cooled down in the evening.

If it is not windy then I would think it is to do with expansion and contraction as temperatures change. Monitoring when it happens might help. It might well get less bad as the weather cools down and as the house settles.

You can get loud noises from materials having different thermal expansion coefficients when they're joined together and cooed or heated. An example of this we suffer from is a steel portal frame supporting the timber joists of a flat roof coupled with coach bolts. The kind of noise this makes is a single sudden bang. I wouldn't describe it as a crack, as it's much deeper in tone, but it is very brief. The mechanics involved is when friction is overcome and the energy stored in stretch or compression is suddenly released.

We have a large fiberglass flat roof on our extension which wraps around the property and most days it lets off some large crack / bang noises. Where the nigh time temp has dropped recently its let of some whoppers throughout the night, really wakes you up. Only been a year so its still early days on weather its going to collapse or not.

My workplace however is a 20 year old industrial unit, one of those two tone grey ones and the noises it emits are immense. Aluminium cladding on a steel structure......sounds like people are walking around on the roof / mezz. Really creepy at night. 

7 hours ago, Radian said:

You can get loud noises from materials having different thermal expansion coefficients when they're joined together and cooed or heated. An example of this we suffer from is a steel portal frame supporting the timber joists of a flat roof coupled with coach bolts. The kind of noise this makes is a single sudden bang. I wouldn't describe it as a crack, as it's much deeper in tone, but it is very brief. The mechanics involved is when friction is overcome and the energy stored in stretch or compression is suddenly released.

Sounds like me… someone mentioned to me that the 11m long I beams I used should ideally be spliced for expansion… so my 11m long I beams go from gable to gable supported twice in between with concrete walls. They are mortared in at the ends … perhaps there is some tension / energy there?

Just now, Moggaman said:

Sounds like me… someone mentioned to me that the 11m long I beams I used should ideally be spliced for expansion… so my 11m long I beams go from gable to gable supported twice in between with concrete walls. They are mortared in at the ends … perhaps there is some tension / energy there?

Deeper in tone and brief … good description .. what I was trying to describe 

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

How exposed to wind is the building?

Need to define banging - not only in sound but also time between bangs, time of bangs, what the conditions are outside when it happens.

Have seen roofing felt not fixed, under tiling, flapping in the night when the wind is in a particular direction....

It’s not wind. That’s definite. As the poster below described it’s not a crack or a bang , deeper in tone to that and brief .

maybe hours between. I only hear them at night … that might be just cause I’m not around during the day and haven’t been in the house that long 

Just now, Moggaman said:

It’s not wind. That’s definite. As the poster below described it’s not a crack or a bang , deeper in tone to that and brief .

maybe hours between. I only hear them at night … that might be just cause I’m not around during the day and haven’t been in the house that long 

Definitely not felt or tiles