Where do you keep the vegetables

Our new cabin is so well insulated it's a lot warmer than we are used to, as a result the root vegetables are going off very quickly. The whole place is the same temperature, so there  is nowhere cool, so we were wondering. Where do you keep your?

I like to keep my salad leaves and veggies inside the animal I'm going to eat! Best place for the horrid things! :D 

But being serious for just a moment. Take them out of any plastic bags/packaging and lay them fairly loosely (I.e. Not stacked) in a wooden open top and side veg box. Ensure any Bananas are well away from everything else.  

Edited by Barney12

We use the fridge for most of our veggies. Onions being the primary exception which we store in tray inside a kitchen cupboard. Works fine for a couple of weeks or so, by which time we aim to use them up.

15 hours ago, Triassic said:

[...] Where do you keep your(s)?

We will be keeping them in the piggery, outside the heated envelope. Already there are dark mutterings about having to walk 10 meters (there and back).

Ah well, into every life a little rain must fall.

I have a unheared and uninsulated lean to with a back door from the kitchen to access it, i keep my veg out there in a large wooden box with vent holes and it works great. I think i could keep them in the unheated and uninsulated kitchen / house with the same great results.........

All veg (except onions) kept in the fridge.  No reason not to put potatoes in the fridge (they are after all kept in cold storage from the time they are harvested).  Buy what you need for the week, and let the supermarket / grocer worry about storing everything.  

Fridge every time, if you've got the space. Dropping the temperature slows the respiration rate, so it will keep better, longer.  Just be careful with stuff like courgettes and aubergines that are prone to chill damage. 

@Triassic

I think @Cpd might have it.

Do we need to reinvent the concept of the back porch as a well ventilated shaded low humidity space, perhaps with a dark cupboard or shaded racking for veg? Veg racks in there would combine well with eg bike storage.

Even if there are building line issues (eg side door on a corner plot) porches of a couple of square sqm are permitted development.

Or the garage?

My normal reason for not putting potatoes in the fridge (we keep them in our north corridor, which is the same temp as the garage) has been because we have bought a couple of sacks of tatoes in the late autumn to last to the spring - so they won't fit.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I was at an interesting talk a few years back about swedes.  The reason we get flavourless ones now is because they have been breed to last a long time at lower temperatures.

Some vegetable packaging is made with nitrogen inside it to preserve stuff, prepacked salad is one.  Keeps for a week but only lasts a day or two once opened.

My local shop is a 24/7 supermarket, so can just pop in whenever I need something, I let them do the storage.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I was at an interesting talk a few years back about swedes....

I wondered where you were going with that post until I realised you hadn't capitalised the S in swedes 9_9

Edited by NSS
  • Like 1