Wife has decided we need cooling next year

JohnMo

Been told we need cooling in the lounge and possibly in the bedroom (about 10m away from lounge) for next year.  So looking for advise

So two options, as I see it.  May be others?

1. Get a heat pump with cooling, run through the UFH, most expensive option.  Not sure how good it is compared to aircon

2. A2A, least expensive option, but depending on how many units I need could be more expensive.  Could run in heating mode also if required.  Not sure how to size?

Not keen on pulling house apart to fit something and wife not keen on external units (but may have to live with one)

Have seen through wall aircon, but input vs output doesn't appear that good.

Water cooled aircon, main water in and then to drain, seems a waste of water.

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Think I would have shrunk some of the south/west facing windows, trouble is we have great views, seemed a shame to miss out on them.

could you fit external blinds or shading to reduce the solar gain whilst allowing you to keep the large windows and views? might alleviate the need for active cooling.

although, we're having AC and also have external blinds so if you want it go for it. 

We have big overhangs over the windows which is great until mid afternoon and the the lower sun going down to west get in.  The internal blinds work quite well, but not good enough.

Will have a look at external blinds also, thanks

2 hours ago, m0deller said:

Did you go for a solar reflective coating on the windows? Seems to make quite a difference

Thought the window over hangs would be enough, but unfortunately the sun gets in late afternoon to early evening.

19 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Been told we need cooling in the lounge and possibly in the bedroom (about 10m away from lounge) for next year.  So looking for advise

How many story building?

I find cooling in UFH on our ground floor "works" fine but creates a pool of cool air 1 ft off the floor downstairs that does nothing to help the building as a whole feel cool.  FCUs upstairs are much more effective. (Conversely, the UFH is excellent for heating in winter)

Edited by joth

Is it worth the cost for the few days/weeks it’s required?, I have no heating upstairs but for the odd week or so in winter extra heating is required the plan is just plug in heaters. Why not consider portable air con units you can pull out of storage when required?

9 hours ago, m0deller said:

Did you go for a solar reflective coating on the windows? Seems to make quite a difference

We recently had our south-facing patio window re-glazed.  The solar reflective coating (and a better grade of double glazing) definitely make a massive difference.