Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

@nod, these two walls in this cupboard I've to plaster, roughly an area 3.5m2. Now I know I shouldn't even ask but I've half a bag of multi left over from when I did the ceiling and half wall back in August...2018. Stored inside with the bag folded over then shoved in a black bin liner. Could I use it? Would adding some cream of tartar work on "old" plaster? I just HATE waste and LOVE pushing boundaries of what's possible! 

As the answer is probably NO, I've already bought a new bag! xD

If no good I'll sprinkle on the over site of a neighbour's shed base to get rid.

Cheers

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Onoff said:

@nod, these two walls in this cupboard I've to plaster, roughly an area 3.5m2. Now I know I shouldn't even ask but I've half a bag of multi left over from when I did the ceiling and half wall back in August...2018. Stored inside with the bag folded over then shoved in a black bin liner. Could I use it? Would adding some cream of tartar work on "old" plaster? I just HATE waste and LOVE pushing boundaries of what's possible! 

As the answer is probably NO, I've already bought a new bag! xD

If no good I'll sprinkle on the over site of a neighbour's shed base to get rid.

Cheers

Should be fine 

Always it bit of crema 

Spreads like butter

• 2 weeks later...

Just when they thought it safe to go into the bathroom...

20190521_180707

@nod, that 6" vertical strip on the left is where a tapered edge butts up to a square cut edge. I've meshed over it but should I fill first with Easy Fill before plastering? Ta.

20190521_180719

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, nod said:

No 

You can simply skim over 

Its worth mixing a few handboards full and coating tapes and beads before you mix your skim

Ta.

Cream of tartar...me being super slow...

Is there a per kilo amount you can add if only mixing small quantities?

For the cupboard ceiling and thin strip above the door I mixed 2.5kg of multi to 1.2l water and slung in a teaspoon of cot.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Ta.

Cream of tartar...me being super slow...

Is there a per kilo amount you can add if only mixing small quantities?

For the cupboard ceiling and thin strip above the door I mixed 2.5kg of multi to 1.2l water and slung in a teaspoon of cot.

You probably won’t need it on a small amount

We put a tablespoon full in a five bag mix 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nod said:

You probably won’t need it on a small amount

We put a tablespoon full in a five bag mix 

Ta. I've read too much cot can cause the plaster to crack. I'll do the wall where the pipe/valve is tonight and the opposing bit above the door. Got to grab one of those internal corner trowels. Mate who I borrowed one off is away.

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

What you doing in there? Just paint to finish? 

Easy Fill first! ?

Then Leyland Super Leytex followed by Dulux Trade Diamond Matt.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2019 at 06:26, Onoff said:

Just when theh thought it safe to go into the bathroom...

20190521_180707

@nod, that 6" vertical strip on the left is where a tapered edge butts up to a square cut edge. I've meshed over it but should I fill first with Easy Fill before plastering? Ta.

20190521_180719

Why are these dimensions not written in Gothic script and Roman Numerals?

Shameful cutting of corners.

SWMBO kindly sprayed the grout sealer this morning so luckily it's been a day we can have all the windows open. The can says wait 24hrs before using as a wet room...

Potentially then the shower can at long last be tested/used...HONESTLY!

2019-05-27_04-08-30

(Trying to get them to wait until my lads back from university as we joked my daughter was to have the first bath, my boy the first shower, me the first use of the wc and SWMBO gets to clean it!)

So whilst it all looks pretty inside, outside is a different story!

One ropey old drain "grate" that feeds into the cess pool via clay pipes.

20190527_142217

Coming in from the left is the old, (white) waste from the upstairs entrance suite. The bath used to tee into that but exits now at that bend under the tee:

20190527_142233

A bit concerned at the angle of the 2" waste for the shower I think is a bit steep (though Nick reckons its OK):

20190527_142248

As a temporary solution (my temporary :ph34r: ), all the black, solvent weld is just shoved together with silicon grease case I'm ever in a position to re-render the walls smooth and possibly EWI.

20190527_154446

(You can see where this window used to be a door, I've still to try and remove the old footings for a long since demolished,  pre us, side extension so I can level this ground up the side of the house).

Eventually this old grate to be replaced with a gulley(?) or whatever needs be but set a bit lower.

20190527_153001

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1