Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

What would a "proper" plumber do? 

2018-05-22_09-37-05

Solder the joints in situ or off the backing board then clip back on?  (It's marine ply btw). I don't want to burn the wood. Got my protective mat, random sheets of metal etc.

Figure if I lose the pipe clips nearest the elbow/T/elbow I won't melt them! Obviously I've to add short lengths up for the supply and the long drops of the bottom valves.

Edited by Onoff

you will need to solder the T piece at the same time as the elbows. Personally I'd take it off and lay down on a flat surface then solder & lift back unless you are doing a shape that needs to be help in position to get an accurate fit.  No chance of burning wood or melting the clips then.

29 minutes ago, CC45 said:

you will need to solder the T piece at the same time as the elbows. Personally I'd take it off and lay down on a flat surface then solder & lift back unless you are doing a shape that needs to be help in position to get an accurate fit.  No chance of burning wood or melting the clips then.

+1

49 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What would a "proper" plumber do? 

Half, or less, of what you've done so far..............if you were lucky. ;)

"Keep fighting the good fight, Sir" ??

I'm not happy with the symmetry in that last picture :( Going to mirror the hot so it matches the cold. The whole board will probably have to drop later anyway as the upstairs en suite mixer is way too high up the wall in the enclosure. Also has a naff BLUE plastic tray about 6" high which will be replaced...along with the Artex ceiling, non P5, "ordinary" chipboard floor, 3/8" pb walls etc :)

Edited by Onoff

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm not happy with the symmetry in that last picture :(

You

will

never

see

it..........

just solder it up and get on with the next job ..!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

You

will

never

see

it..........

just solder it up and get on with the next job ..!

He will see it !

In his mind it will always be there ; non symmetrical; taunting everyday and every night . @Onoff ; you know your fate , you know your destiny young sky walker . Make them symmetrical or have no peace 

• Thanks 1

Me and plumbing...nah! :( Started late tonight, playing Dad's taxi etc. Flexis will transfer to the two lengths of 15mm. A quick bend in copper should sort the valve to the ensuite shower cold and get rid of the white push fits. Probably have to do a saddle to sort the feed to the hot:

20180523_222929

Down lower where the feeds go off to the downstairs shower. I'll need to joint them:

20180523_222945

Poxy original waste :

20180523_223022

Edited by Onoff

Gotta get this finished if I want a shower tonight! Working in a hot loft I need one too! :)

Ready for soldering. Some cloaking board off cuts to protect the ply:

20180527_144807

A lick of paint and a polish up:

20180527_160510

TF for the olive splitter!  :ph34r:

20180527_164452

Getting there. I'll probably put the flexis higher up so straighter:

20180527_171633

Got to take off the ensuite bar mixer now and add a couple of bends to get it back up and running.

59 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It's a thing of beauty. 

You took the words right out of my mouth :) It's taken all f**ing day mind. No wonder plumbers get  paid so much! And yes, the bend and double one both done in one:

20180527_191603

20180527_191620

20180527_191642

Edit: Got to be bloody careful not to open any of these valves as the sh!tty gate valves the other end are letting by! :(

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

NOT so pretty the other side! :( Cracked tile and holes filled with "silicon":

20180527_200329

Not sure whether to CT1 or Sikaflex EBT these plates back on?

20180527_200358

It's ALL coming out eventually right back to studs/joists so ceiling, walls and floor will be re "boarded".

Edit: CT1'd it all. Next time I touch it it'll all hopefully be coming out in favour of one of those 22mm thick tray things!

Edited by Onoff

B@LLOCKS! :(

I swear I didn't go mad getting this off but it was a vice job to separate it from the back plate. It is knackered and I need a new one. Thread is stripped & it's split up the thin wall bit where the wrench flats are. Guessing I might have to buy a complete new bar mixer!

20180527_211946

20180527_212006

20180527_212021

20180527_212030

Off to have a peruse thru the Screwy's etc catalogue & online.

22 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The back to wall kits are in SFx. 

Link

Yep just looking at those in the catalogue. Don't suppose you recognise the bar mixer?

2018-05-27_10-19-35

The bit I need is less than a fiver online for a pair! :(

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exposed-Thermostatic-Shower-Bar-Valve-Easy-Fit-Shower-Fixing-Kit-Pair-EFK001/311067821140?hash=item486d164454:g:4nMAAOSwVtZaQ4ti

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Hecateh said:

I knew the name (through my kids though) 

But what made me smile was the predictable unpredictability of your response ?  ?

My youngest is very into Panic At The Disco. Surprisingly good.

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My youngest is very into Panic At The Disco. Surprisingly good.

You've intrigued me enough to visit Youtube.  It's certainly a lot more listenable than the techno stuff my son listened to in his teens (he's 41 now.  I generally only heard a less than rythmic thumping through the floor.

I liked Kraftwerk, OMD which I guess were early techno (Yes? No?)

6 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

You've intrigued me enough to visit Youtube.  It's certainly a lot more listenable than the techno stuff my son listened to in his teens (he's 41 now.  I generally only heard a less than rythmic thumping through the floor.

I liked Kraftwerk, OMD which I guess were early techno (Yes? No?)

Kraftwerk, now you're talking. Got loads on vinyl. On my bucket list to see them live. Amazing how many modern artists sample them. There's was a good article about Chris Martin from Coldplay approaching them to use Computer Love on "Talk". He said he was already starstruck and in awe of them plus dreading they would refuse permission.

• Like 1