Where do you get your softener salt?

Adsibob

We don’t have a Harvey’s unit, but our softener was supplied with 4 blocks (ie 16kg) of Harvey’s block salt. I’m about to run out and have a prime account so ordered from Amazon prime 6 blocks (24kg) at £27 inc “free” delivery. Works out at £1.125 per kilo.

Is that a good price? Or can I get it cheaper elsewhere? Is all salt the same, it is it worth sticking with Harvey’s. 

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

We don’t have a Harvey’s unit, but our softener was supplied with 4 blocks (ie 16kg) of Harvey’s block salt. I’m about to run out and have a prime account so ordered from Amazon prime 6 blocks (24kg) at £27 inc “free” delivery. Works out at £1.125 per kilo.

Is that a good price? Or can I get it cheaper elsewhere? Is all salt the same, it is it worth sticking with Harvey’s. 

You mean you don't have Korean bamboo salt, especially imported?

Does you water softener take salt tablets salt too, or are blocks a must? Our softener (Great Water Pro Series 1400) takes blocks or tablets.  May be worth checking the instructions.

If you can use tablet salt, this is avaiable at 60p/kg in 25kg bags at Costco and Wickes amoung other places.  https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hydrosoft-Water-Softener-Salt-Tablets---25kg/p/221263

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

@Dan F I'm looking at the same softener - are you happy with it? A concern is not wanting to reduce pressure/flow rate so like the 1" connections.

cheers

All good so far. Water pressure is good and it accepts tablet salf which is cheaper than the block salt.  Wasn't as expensive and some other brands either from what I remember.

38 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

@Dan F I'm looking at the same softener - are you happy with it? A concern is not wanting to reduce pressure/flow rate so like the 1" connections.

cheers

I went for one which supposedly had a 1" connection, specifically to avoid reducing our flow rate. This is what was marketted as a 1" connection:

https://www.eastmidlandswater.com/1-inch-water-softener-fitting-kit/1383

I was surprised to see that once installed one of the parts (of which there are two, one on the inlet and one on the outlet) is definitely narrower than an inch. See photo below. The photo makes it look like only 20mm but it's probably a 22mm at it's widest point, connecting two pieces that are an inch thick. Now an inch is only 3.4mm more than 22mm. So an additional radius of 1.7mm. Ignoring the thickness of the fitting, the cross section of the fitting would have an area of  380mm2 vs 507mm squared. So whilst the 3.4mm different doesn't sound like a lot, it works out at a difference of 33% which is a lot! So I'm minded to complain to the company that sold me the softener.

0?ui=2&ik=272cb0c1ab&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1740612781158421453&th=1827e61a3073d3cd&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_Di-bjAF1rjj7n3IvCHUUmV9VWmmn0bAQ0_2N-YsTQ3alqccYAh-RvWDZ38x88dSJliEwiAoB8VBCxjt2maK-28XbqJ0plgG6SVqGoKXNftyk-3uFe9QNqL7Q&disp=emb

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Inch BSP is not inch diameter...

So what else is it meant to be? The shoe size? Bloody ridiculous.

More seriously though, could this be having an impact on flow rates? It’s just a 1cm long fitting, but for that 1cm length, the diameter of the pipe is less than the rest of the system.

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

I got mine from @Gone Westand I still haven't used it...

Christ that was a long time ago. I'd forgotten about that, I can't even remember what model it was. Bad news, they don't like being unused for a long length of time. Living here, with naturally soft water, saves us around £70 a year on salt.

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

Christ that was a long time ago. I'd forgotten about that, I can't even remember what model it was. Bad news, they don't like being unused for a long length of time. Living here, with naturally soft water, saves us around £70 a year on salt.

I've read up on reactivating or whatever the resin, you can get a special "stuff" 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

have a look at this on sizing:

https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/bspt.html

but tell us, how much flow do you actually need and where would you see a restriction cause an issue?

I spent an absolute fortune on widening our connection to Thames Water. I was told by them I'd have over 60L a minute. I thought that was an exaggeration, particularly because when I asked them to confirm it in writing they wouldn't. In general flow rates in the house are fine. I've not measured, but everything except one fitting seems to work as it should. But our shower is a rain shower and the experience of showering under it is not great. So that's where an extra litre or two per min would be nice. (Appreciate this is controversial in current drought times.)

Only other option is to change the limit on the PRV. I think it's currently set to 3.0 bar. We could possibly move it up to 3.2 bar, but I doubt we will get much more than that as we never had more than 3.2 prior to the TW connection upgrade and I don't think my issue is lack of pressure, it's lack of flow which is obviously different.

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

have a look at this on sizing:

https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/bspt.html

but tell us, how much flow do you actually need and where would you see a restriction cause an issue?

this suggests I've really been short changed, as the connector i've been supplied is less than an imperial inch, let alone a BSP inch which according to this URL is 33.25!

19 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I went for one which supposedly had a 1" connection, specifically to avoid reducing our flow rate. This is what was marketted as a 1" connection:

https://www.eastmidlandswater.com/1-inch-water-softener-fitting-kit/1383

I was surprised to see that once installed one of the parts (of which there are two, one on the inlet and one on the outlet) is definitely narrower than an inch. See photo below. The photo makes it look like only 20mm but it's probably a 22mm at it's widest point, connecting two pieces that are an inch thick. Now an inch is only 3.4mm more than 22mm. So an additional radius of 1.7mm. Ignoring the thickness of the fitting, the cross section of the fitting would have an area of  380mm2 vs 507mm squared. So whilst the 3.4mm different doesn't sound like a lot, it works out at a difference of 33% which is a lot! So I'm minded to complain to the company that sold me the softener.

0?ui=2&ik=272cb0c1ab&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1740612781158421453&th=1827e61a3073d3cd&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_Di-bjAF1rjj7n3IvCHUUmV9VWmmn0bAQ0_2N-YsTQ3alqccYAh-RvWDZ38x88dSJliEwiAoB8VBCxjt2maK-28XbqJ0plgG6SVqGoKXNftyk-3uFe9QNqL7Q&disp=emb

The steel hose supplied with ours is 3/4inch I.D.   It's the softener connector and vave that are 1" supposedly.  The other end of the supplied hose is 3/4inch.  Specific model is Falcon H-3405 Water Softener Flex Connectors.

• 3 months later...
On 06/07/2022 at 12:38, Dan F said:

Does you water softener take salt tablets salt too, or are blocks a must? Our softener (Great Water Pro Series 1400) takes blocks or tablets.  May be worth checking the instructions.

If you can use tablet salt, this is avaiable at 60p/kg in 25kg bags at Costco and Wickes amoung other places.  https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hydrosoft-Water-Softener-Salt-Tablets---25kg/p/221263

Now priced at 80p/kg. That's an incredible 33% inflation in just 4 months!

3 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Now priced at 80p/kg. That's an incredible 33% inflation in just 4 months!

Don’t tell me, the war in Ukraine! It is being used as an excuse for any price increases 😞

Edited by markc