War and self-building : the possible effects on self-builders

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Odd that, in 1984 I moved to Buckinghamshire. I watched the roads around London become the M25.

Things vastly improved in 1986 when it was completed.

What used to be a 3 hour journey to Gatwick became an hour and a half.

It is still an hour and a half.

Okay I saw the Oxford ring road built, and the A34 dualled from Newbury to the New M40.

Then it all stopped.  the road network was "finished"  Abingdon Wallingford, Didcot, Oxford, and many of the town expanded with new housing estates, all funnelled onto the same roads, no new ones except to link to the estates, No new rail.

And in the last 15 years I was there, my journey to work got slower and slower as more traffic shared the same roads.  Ever tried using the A34 for your daily commute? DON'T do it on a bank holiday Friday.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Last time I made a comment similar to this, it got deleted.

I see that the bank rate in Russia is now 20%.

Worth putting a few quid in surely.

only if you could get it back  and it would be in rubles --so who knows where the exchange will go

If they will give you 20% in dollars --maybe ok -but who knows you could get it back?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

only if you could get it back  and it would be in rubles --so who knows where the exchange will go

If they will give you 20% in dollars --maybe ok -but who knows you could get it back?

Yes, maybe ask for it is white Russian pine, or vodka.  We swapped some old military gear for Bulgarian tinned tomatoes in the early 80s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 13:35, ToughButterCup said:

Anyone trying to buy Siberian Larch then? Or was my build one of the last to be supplied?

My neighbour just bought a batch of Sila (to make his house match ours!) fine. Trick is to get the stuff grown in the French alps :)

https://www.sivalbp.fr/en/wood-cladding/new-age/siberian-larch/

Expect there will be (another) run on that, if there isn't already.

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

That would be a huge textbook.

Can you simplify the question?

Or the very simple answer is 'roads'.

I got some more answers in the the thread I started about infrastructure upgrade. I was particularly interested in the fact that developers can pay to have new electricity substations installed if existing capacity is insufficient.

23 minutes ago, Radian said:

new electricity substations installed if existing capacity is insufficient

Every new development puts a strain on existing supplies. Therefore developers often have to pay for improvements to mains cables and water supplies, perhaps many miles away. Also towards schools, hospitals etc.

It is seldom a better result for existing residents, but not as much worse as it might have been.

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Every new development puts a strain on existing supplies. Therefore developers often have to pay for improvements to mains cables and water supplies, perhaps many miles away. Also towards schools, hospitals etc.

It is seldom a better result for existing residents, but not as much worse as it might have been.

I was the proud purchaser of a new transformer to get my supply on.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

£10k and more? 

If they ever take another supply off it they should recompense you for that share of the infrastructure.

Tbh- I looked at the pole and don’t see it. I’d have thought a nice plaque mentioning me would be nice.

On 28/02/2022 at 08:41, SteamyTea said:

Last time I made a comment similar to this, it got deleted.

I see that the bank rate in Russia is now 20%.

Worth putting a few quid in surely.

dream on

• Like 1