"Luxury" bath/showeroom planning

This will be on the first floor of our new house. Its not a huge space but enough for a bath and decent sized shower and WC and basin. We are hoping to get planning permission imminently and I am just applying my mind to the building warrant process and in particular what we need to think about asking the architect to include in terms of - plumbing/electrics/flooring etc.

What thoughts we have had so far have centred on the following - we will prob end up fitting a "normal" bath but if we wanted the option for something with jets then presumably we would need to cater for relevant wiring for this? What about extra plumbing requirements?

Similar for shower - presumably one with horizontal jets would require a pump and wiring to power?

WC - my other half is keen on one with the built in washer - so presumably more plumbing and electricity?

What about storage without making the space feel too cluttered?

I think a wet room is possible on a first floor but does this need to be factored in at building warrant stage?

How feasible is it to plan to instal standard cheap/2nd hand items of sanitary ware initially but have the option to upgrade these in time once the budget allows to the type of item I have listed? Can you plumb and wire for the stuff on the wish list and future proof in this way or will that raise issues?

thanks

Any form of jacuzi bath needs power, so you would need to provision a power cable from under the bath to an outside wall where you will have a fuses switched connection unit to feed it. Underneath or alongside the light switch might be a good place. Usually any pump is accommodated under the bath.

Building warrant only needs to know approximate room layout to confirm all activity spaces are allowed for. Changing the layout later is not a big deal.  If you fit a massive bath don't forget it may need a bigger room so you still have all your activity spaces.

Wet room is definitely possible and personally I love them, again you don't need to mention it on the warrant.

No problem fitting a cheap basic bath and changing it later, any cable for a jacuzi bath would just remain in place under the bath, unused, until you upgrade later.

Quite nice to have the bath floor level with the bathroom floor. Also a little touch is to slope the sides in at the bottom.

20190309_210126

2019-06-12_06-41-36

Consider future access to the pump etc:

20190101_191055

20190101_191112

With mine I've had to make it so half the bath surround can be removed.

9 hours ago, markharro said:

How feasible is it to plan to instal standard cheap/2nd hand items of sanitary ware initially but have the option to upgrade these in time once the budget allows to the type of item I have listed?

Are you sure you want jets in your bath. They are never as good as a proper jacuzzi and the novelty will soon wear off. By all means, get a nice spacious bath, but this doesn’t have to be expensive. It is quite a bit of work ripping out sanitary ware, so I would choose wisely and choose once. Put the jacuzzi in the garden.

Edited by Adsibob
  • Like 1

Find the money to do the bathroom once afaic. There will be zero saving long term when you cost changing out baths / sinks / toilets later down the line, and unless you buy a second hand suite now, the cost uplift to buy the final fit suite will be negligible if you buy sensibly now. Tiling and then fixing and sealing up a temporary but fully working bathroom suite will leave holes in wall / floors so will be a pita to resolve downstream imo. 
A lot better to buy an cheap tidy used kitchen, tarted up for the immediate, then remove and replace it when the funds allow. That’ll be a far less involved process, and a much easier route to the finish line. Plus you’ll then have time to test drive the house and make better decisions for the final kitchen fit and finish / layout etc. 

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Quite nice to have the bath floor level with the bathroom floor. Also a little touch is to slope the sides in at the bottom.

20190309_210126

2019-06-12_06-41-36

Consider future access to the pump etc:

20190101_191055

20190101_191112

With mine I've had to make it so half the bath surround can be removed.

That’s a big dose of bling! ... with practical touches ? Does it play Barry White while you soak? ?

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

That’s a big dose of bling! ... with practical touches ? Does it play Barry White while you soak? ?

Oh yes! A cheap set of Bluetooth speakers in the ceiling. They sound really good.

20180416_172853

20180512_214453

20180512_214338

20190410_111034

As the kind soul above pointed out we do lack heating in here. The UFH pipes, towel radiator and body dryer are all in place...just not connected to anything...

(There may be movement on that front, SWMBO has FINALLY cleared the adjacent room, maybe I'll be digging it up soon!)

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

Spa tub look amazing in adverts and sounds wonderful,  in reality they are rarely used and are a pain to clean and keep clean … water hangs around in the pipes and jets and they need regular cleaning and disinfecting

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, markharro said:

Would there not be a major issues with accessing a pump however if/when it broke? 

Yes, potentially.

I debated which way round to have the bath. This way would have put the pump reasonably accessible but you'd have had to climb over the taps:

SAM_3559

So taps are against the wall but with a "quick release" kit:

SAM_4742

With hindsight I could have perhaps lived with just blanking off the tap and waste holes with chrome caps. Better still would have been to have ordred the bath un-drilled! To get at my pump I will have to remove silicone, remove half the bath surround and lift out the bath. All doable, considered beforehand but still a mission.

The original bath conrol box was mounted right undermeath the bath (go figure!). I removed it, extended all the cables and mounted the box in what will be a cupboard in the adjacent room. This room is to be gutted as in walls, floors, ceiling.

20190410_111123

Over the weekend I just volunteered my "union jack", tile cutting services to help my niece with her shower area. It's about 1200x800. Her tiles are a tad over 600x600.

They imo had the opportunity to get it so right but don't "plan" hence make it up as they go along.

The shower "tray" is concrete cast to falls like mine but not as flat. All goes to a long linear drain. Should have set it lower but instead have formed an upstand with houses bricks they now have to tile over / around. Considering they dug down and built the floor back up...doh!

The two 800mm, facing walls are normal plasterboard but plastered and painted. Not even the green, moisture resistant stuff either! The 1200mm wall is rendered Celcon block. She has tanked the tray and internal corners but not done the rest of the walls. Two big tiles together won't quite cover the "tray" length". For the sake of adding another 12.5mm thick plasterboard they could of sorted it. Using a 10mm multipanel with edge and corner trims. God nows how well that will stick to the pb walls now they're plastered and painted! She's got tubes of white, Sticks Like Sh!t.

Told them to ditch the bottom trim and bed the multipanel on loads of clear CT1 then run a bead of silicone that can be periodically renewed when it gets tatty. 

Best I could do. 3mm spacers. Just laid loose.

IMG_20220214_164348.thumb.jpg.5fb0cb98b8e157035e6465caf78c46f3.jpg

Really think she should tank that big wall and tb the returns. I'd not have bothered plastering and painting:

IMG_20220214_161432462.thumb.jpg.66e766fd2afa0a5c3746311c93b7be49.jpg

IMG_20220214_161427406.thumb.jpg.fb51619af16ccfdb7239120c9864ba58.jpg

Took her half a tub of Aquaseal tanking membrane I've got left over and the rest of the tanking tape as she's only gone halfway up one internal corner.

• 2 weeks later...