Guttering

WWilts

They don’t overflow. 

Depends on your length of run and how many linear metres of run between outlets. 

Builds over here don’t have enough outlets. So gutters overflow 

building regs in other countries are an outlet every 6m, but here we just have them on ends of runs. 

Deepflow if you have a large area and not enough outlets. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nod said:

I’d always use deep flow

Hedgehog will be used to trap any gunk.

Hedgehog clips don't fit deep flow.
Perhaps galvanised wire around gutter can hold hedgehog in place, without being too prominent from ground level. White guttering

13 minutes ago, WWilts said:

Perhaps galvanised wire around gutter can hold hedgehog in place, without being too prominent from ground level. White guttering

We have deep flow and I've gone back and forth on getting hedgehogs but most people I have spoken to have said they were crap and removed them. 

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

Half round gutters ok?
What benefits from deep flow gutters?

I have always used deep flow gutter by default, for small increase in cost it just makes sense, even on smaller roofs. I find that it allows for a much better roof gutter transition, allowing a deeper overhang into the gutter, I find it copes better in this increased heavy, more frequent rain we receive and I find that it copes better with some debris without impacting flow. 

Our original house roof on the north side is quite mossy, during heavy heavy rain last summer most was washed into the gutter, even during the heaviest sort of 1:100 year rain, the gutter still coped while neighbours had water overshooting the gutters and battering down over their windows and doors.

I also think it looks better as it creates a much more bold line between facia and roof and helps to hide any little roof edge defects such as undulating edge etc.

I would only use normal stuff on my shed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I would recommend a shoe on a grill so most of larger stuff sits there to be collected.

Second this.

When I redid all the downpipes to the back of the house post extension we opted for square gulleys below each downpipe with a grille and a shoe at the base, in fairness the first iteration was the pipe sitting hard against the grille, however heavy rain dislodged a lot of moss which soon blocked the pipe (makes me wonder how much moss has been washing down the drains over the years), mid-rain storm I went out and slid the pipe up enough to remove the grille, which, by the way was by design, I put 20mm of play in the slip couplers to enable this. I soon redesigned these to shoes/45° bends at the base. Now the rain blasts through and moss gets left on the grille so I am also delighted I am stopping copious amounts of moss making it into my drains. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

We have pine trees all around our get full of needles, real pain in ...

Tell me about it. We have 2 mature pines at the back of our garage, the 2 year old roof is totally green at that end with a layer of algae stuff and the gutters ended up having to be dropped into a sump gulley to catch all the needles and needs cleaning out twice a year. 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, markc said:

what you have done and how.

In a word corbelling.... the building is 200 years old, never had gutters just corbelling to shed the water. Also didn't want to change the ground conditions around the foundation of the building by removing the water.  We have maintained the absorption of the ground around the  building. No DPC either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WWilts said:

Hedgehogs don’t need clips in deepflow - they sit well inside and get caught by the tiles. 

I use these on the bottom of downpipes to catch the rubbish and stop splashing 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/FloPlast-Leaf-Debris-Interceptor-Gully---Black/p/158828

• Like 1