Rock, Rock and more Rock

6 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Very much in the vein of "Let Stalk Strine" which in the 60s, as students, we thought was hilarious.

"Afferbeck Lauder",  so clever and well observed.

Australian as a foreign language! :)

Seriously, is it worth a look at selling those rocks?

A bulk bag of rockery stone costs £100 or so, and it would save you X loads at £200 (?) each.

It needs the right contact - eg local garden centre attached to a farm, but could be quite a saving. Turning waste into a product is a good strategy.

Or will you (or your neighbours) need some to keep cars off the verge?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Just now, Ferdinand said:

Seriously, is it worth a look at selling those rocks?

A bulk bag of rockery stone costs £100 or so, and it would save you X skips at £200 (?) each.

It needs the right contact - eg local garden centre attached to a farm, but could be quite a saving.

Ferdinand

I did consider the idea of selling our rock. We have what must be close to 100t we've dug out of the ground. But you have to factor in the cost of sorting and moving. Then for us we need as much ground fill as possible for other areas so what goes needs to be replaced with something else (at a cost).

In the end we've decided it will just be re-buried! 

Here's a thought(s)....

Hire a crusher and grade the rocks then fill feature wire gabions?

Crush the rock smaller and fill feature beds. It would be very in keeping with the locale.

Weigh up crusher hire vs skips.

Or just pile them up in a corner of the garden whilst you decide. A passer by may make an offer for the lot!

Again that is really nice stone! Granite?

The trouble with rock, is transport costs.

When we were down south we wanted some for a garden project. Could not find any locally, and refused to pay garden centre prices. We solved it when visiting relatives in Northumberland where it was abundant, and brought back as much as I thought the car could carry, distributed around all the footwells etc to spread the weight rather than pile it all in the boot.

49 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I did consider the idea of selling our rock. We have what must be close to 100t we've dug out of the ground. But you have to factor in the cost of sorting and moving. Then for us we need as much ground fill as possible for other areas so what goes needs to be replaced with something else (at a cost).

In the end we've decided it will just be re-buried! 

Certainly worth keeping anything with a decent face on it.  Very useful when it comes to your landscaping - see my blog for how we used a lot of the larger rock that we dug up:

3 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I've lost count of the tipper loads now. Around 10 so far. Hopefully they'll be finished tomorrow.  

DSC_1697.JPG

Looks like an old Tonka Toy ad! :)

• Like 1

Are you sure that isn't a new harbour?

(Or, as my niece put it when she was about 6: "We're 'avin' an 'arbour in the back garden." (*))

(* In 'ucknall, Annesley and 'arby 'aitches 'ardly 'ever 'appen.)

Edited by Ferdinand

On 28/04/2017 at 21:59, Onoff said:

Does this help understand what Ed's getting at?

Thanks, got a trip to Wickford at end of month, will be useful.

How do a say 'they dropped her in that hole over there', it is a funeral I am off to.