has anyone got a wind turbine?

Mike_scotland

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

It is a 6 kWp arrary, the p means peak and a 15 kWh battery system.

[6kW / an hour = 1.667 J and 15 kW / an hour = 4.167 J]

What if we don’t have a swanky keyboard? Can’t see any options on my iPhone keyboard for uppies and downies, but haven’t looked very hard as usual! 

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What if we don’t have a swanky keyboard? Can’t see any options on my iPhone keyboard for uppies and downies, but haven’t looked very hard as usual! 

Don’t need to.. it’s on the editor on the top bar so you can do it from there… 

46EAF8EB-0AB2-4C7B-B68F-603C7FEF27CF.thumb.jpeg.9a7bebc10b32f9312d1f311d8d9ab6fe.jpeg

59 minutes ago, DOIGAN said:

sorry mean 15k/W battery storage

kW is power, so think of that as how many horse power your car engine has.

kWh is energy, so think of that as how much fuel the tank holds.

Now the watt, and the watt.hour, are derived units under the SI system.

The SI system does not have many base units, and as far as we are concerned, distance [m], mass [kg], time [s] and temperature [K] cover just about all we need.

A watt is a joule per second, a joule is a unit of energy.

As these are all very small units we generally multiply them, the the k [1000], M [1,000,000] and G [1000,000,000].  This makes no difference apart from less zeros to type.

Some base units are often combined and named after a person, and this is where it gets really silly.

A persons name has the first letter capitalised, but if written as a unit, it does not, except at the beginning of a sentence.

Joule is a man, joule is a unit of energy, J.

Joule is a unit of energy, J, named after Joule.

An hour has 3,600 seconds in it.

A small turbine is something I am still thinking about.  Everyone says it will be disappointing.  But I still feel I want to play with more types of renewable power and an tempted to take a punt on this for not a lot of money. https://www.vevor.co.uk/wind-turbine-c_10731/vevor-wind-turbine-generator-kit-12v-wind-power-generator-300w-w-mppt-5-blades-p_010372870276

I am sure someone will be along to dissuade me.....

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am sure someone will be along to dissuade me

Not big enough.  The smaller they are, the less efficient they are.

You could stick it on the top of your boats mast, then run a small dehumidifier, via battery storage, to keep the cabin a bit less (or is it fewer) damp. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A small turbine is something I am still thinking about.  Everyone says it will be disappointing.  But I still feel I want to play with more types of renewable power and an tempted to take a punt on this for not a lot of money. https://www.vevor.co.uk/wind-turbine-c_10731/vevor-wind-turbine-generator-kit-12v-wind-power-generator-300w-w-mppt-5-blades-p_010372870276

Was thinking about something like this just to top up my storage batteries, we get almost continuous wind here in Orkney so even at 15hrs per day if might produce about 6kw. Am unsure if they can just be added to my Solis hybrid inverter of if a stand alone one would be required.

Anyone know?

12 hours ago, DOIGAN said:

Was thinking about something like this just to top up my storage batteries, we get almost continuous wind here in Orkney so even at 15hrs per day if might produce about 6kw. Am unsure if they can just be added to my Solis hybrid inverter of if a stand alone one would be required.

Anyone know?

Depends on the number of inputs and the max loading of your inverter. Best to speak to their tech support dept tbh, vs risk damaging anything. 

• 11 months later...
On 30/10/2022 at 08:58, ProDave said:

Did you ever do it and did it work? Just been researching them but they don't seem to be worth the outlay. Most seem to recommend separate inverter for grid tied systems. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 15:29, saveasteading said:

Experts needed please.

You don't need an 'expert'.  You *need* someone who knows what they are talking about!... and they are like hen's teeth, sadly.

Lots of rather negative sentiment towards wind in this thread and I can see why.  It has been traditionally much more expensive than PV in terms of bang for buck but with the advent of good (ie Li-based), cheap batteries and electricity prices trippling (not to mention the same happening to new mains electricity supply costs) I think it's time battery + wind got another look.

The other issue is *location*.  I'm on a Hebridean island and have access to the data from a 100kW turbine a few hundred metres away.  Typically, for the 4 months of winter Nov-Feb, the *average* wind speed here (or at the turbine site) is 8+m/S.  That's *average*... for 4 months of the year when electricity use is highest!  Even a very modest turbine would make a huge dent in the average households energy use with that much wind on tap - assuming you have the flexibility of storing it n a battery for se when it is needed, not just when the wind is blowing a hooly.  A 1kW HAWT would generate 12kW/day easy.  Cost? Under £1k (+installation) plus another £4k for a decent chunk of 10kWh battery/5kW inverter/2kW turbine controller, again plus installation (not beyond the realm of competent DIY, of course).

But ideally you would want a good-sized PV array for summer, too.  4kWp would do for most people especially if they space/water heat with a heat pump (or wood burner, of course).

But, like I say, there just seems to be a complete dearth of users with good experience of small scale wind and the time/inclination to write about it.

1 hour ago, martinwinlow said:

, like I say, there just seems to be a complete dearth of users with good experience of small scale wind and the time/inclination to write about it.

It is because they are crap.

Just read this old study, then think that the two main UK manufacturers of small turbines have gone bankrupt, never to reappear.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378778807002939

Edited by SteamyTea

1 hour ago, martinwinlow said:

Nov-Feb, the *average* wind speed here (or at the turbine site) is 8+m/S.  That's *average*... for 4 months of the year when electricity use is highest!  Even a very modest turbine would make a huge dent in the average households energy use with that much wind on tap - assuming you have the flexibility of storing it n a battery for se when it is needed, not just when the wind is blowing a hooly.  A 1kW HAWT would generate 12kW/day easy

A quick look at a data sheet shows a 1kW turbine at 8m/s produces 2500kWh per year, so is you stained 8m/s wind speed all year you may get

2500 / 365, 7kWh per day, nearly half what you are claiming. Good dent but not a 12kWh dent. But the turbine and pole is £4k, not £1k.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Well, the price and performance obvs depends on the specific turbine and mount design...  eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163822754038 - an iSTA Breeze 1kW 48V turbine and controller for £730 and if you mount the pole to a suitably strong gable wall the cost of the mount would not exceed a few hundred pounds.  This one would produce 300W at 8m/s. So, as you say 7kWh/day but I'd think you could do the same arrangement with a 2kW turbine (noise issues aside) for relatively little more money... and that would give a pretty good payback time - by PV standards at least.  In a modern well-insulated house with next to no space heating requirement, that would pretty much take care of your electricity needs (albeit you'd have to add the battery cost to that).

But my point was that prices of kit have come down a lot and the cost of electricity has gone up *a lot* in recent years and it just seems a shame that practically no-one is looking at this market - apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

Small wind turbines are only really best suited to houses where there is no affordable grid connection - which from a commercial perspective is probably not enough places in UK.

PV in northern latitude winters produce little output in many places so a turbine is a good option compared to getting grid connected (I was quoted £250,000 for a 2 mile installation).

My 1.9kW PV array (same latitude as Glasgow) does the job in summer but produced only 270Wh today and we're not even in Dec/Jan yet.

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone. I'm newly into solar and will be getting my PV installation done next week. However, I've noticed that between my pair of semis and the next pair, the Venturi effect works well enough to regularly pull newly planted plants out of their pots and give established potted plants a good slapping around! Does anyone have any experience of vertical wind turbines - to top up the batteries during the night or in long periods of overcast? Seems a shame to not use that free wind. I was thinking of installing one at 1st floor level.

Mike