Semi-final plans --- feedback/critique welcome!

RK6

5 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You could well be right and it can be modelled.  In some places you can just open a window to prevent overheating but in others it will still be oppressively hot.

The 7 figure budget is rather vague.  I would not expect this to cost less than a £1M with a main contractor but you may not want to go too crazy.

There is a Corten house just down from me that was on Grand Designs.  I am not a great fan of the finish and it is not that easy to work with.

Make sure you get detailed costings, especially on the non-standard bits like the retaining wall and the cantilevered roof canopy, before you apply for planning consent.  The interior stuff you can change if you need to but the exterior form and finishes is part of the consent.

Leaning towards K91 or K58 Petersen Kolumba bricks c/w black stainless steel cladding for the roof, but Corten is definitely on the table. Good to know its difficult to work with. 

Estimate is currently £1.5M but I'm expecting that to change when we get a QS in to start running through materials and the build requirements. 

Edited by RK6

2 hours ago, ETC said:

This is no doubt heading for a Grand Design and will most certainly have a “wow” factor.

However:

Where will the bins go?

Where is the boiler?

Is there any fuel storage?

Where will the washing line be located?

Is there adequate storage - Christmas decorations and tree? The hoover and ironing board?

Some thoughts:

Have you thought about handing the plan so that the Kitchen is next to the Utility Room and the Study is next to the bedroom block?

Perhaps think about reducing the size of the Master Bedroom en-suite and/or reconfiguring the layout?

Boiler/plant will either be in the garage unfortunately. 

Bins at the end of the driveway next to the gate into the plot. 

Zero fuel storage in the house minus 2 small cutouts in the living room and dining room. 

Don't plan to have a washing line. 

Storage is definitely something I'm a little nervous about, but I can't help but think that it won't be an issue given the size of the house. If I run out of space, I'm doing something far wrong!

Interesting idea about swapping kitchen and study. I like the idea of the kitchen being the first thing you come to when entering via the Doocot as visitors would. Also like the idea of walking to work in the AM rather than rolling out of bed and into the room next door. Separation between work and play is important for me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RK6 said:

Bins at the end of the driveway next to the gate into the plot. 

Zero fuel storage in the house minus 2 small cutouts in the living room and dining room. 

Don't plan to have a washing line. 

Storage is definitely something I'm a little nervous about, but I can't help but think that it won't be an issue given the size of the house. If I run out of space, I'm doing something far wrong!

Interesting idea about swapping kitchen and study. I like the idea of the kitchen being the first thing you come to when entering via the Doocot as visitors would. Also like the idea of walking to work in the AM rather than rolling out of bed and into the room next door. Separation between work and play is important for me. 

I do like the front door - unassuming and quite hidden - almost apologetic.

I also like the idea of a reflecting pool between the wings of the house - nice and calming.

I’m not sure about the roof wings - very “statementy” but I’d need convinced they were more than aesthetic.

Boiler/plant in the garage should be fine.

Bins at the end of the driveway - for such a lovely house the first thing you’ll see is bins and your heart will be broke running up and down to the bins from the house. If your house is anything like mine you’ll have the empty coke tins, milk cartons not to mention the odd pizza box. You should really consider a dedicated bin store close to the house - perhaps incorporated with the plant.

No washing line - my missus wouldn’t be without one and I’m sure with the wind you’ll get you’d be getting free drying.

You can’t have enough storage.

I do think your shower rooms are a wee bit tight - you might want to think about making them very slightly bigger - not massive - but decent space between the appliances.

The design slightly reminds me of a house just outside Belfast - similar plan form with a swimming pool and partially underground. If I can find a link I will post it.

I think with the corten steel the house will taken on a monumental feel - almost like a Neolithic structure- but the roof could detract from that unless the roof “floated” above the walls.

Take a look at the Giant’s Causeway Visitor centre - see how the architects created something monumental but simple at the same time.

• Like 1

Definitely bins next to the house and drag them up the drive on bin day.  I am convinced my present car had a towbar fitted just for that purpose as it was not wired for towing electrics and the tow ball looked like new.

You will need an outdoor clothes drying area for Scottish building regs.  Of course you could take it down afterwards.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ETC said:

I do like the front door - unassuming and quite hidden - almost apologetic.

I also like the idea of a reflecting pool between the wings of the house - nice and calming.

I’m not sure about the roof wings - very “statementy” but I’d need convinced they were more than aesthetic.

Boiler/plant in the garage should be fine.

Bins at the end of the driveway - for such a lovely house the first thing you’ll see is bins and your heart will be broke running up and down to the bins from the house. If your house is anything like mine you’ll have the empty coke tins, milk cartons not to mention the odd pizza box. You should really consider a dedicated bin store close to the house - perhaps incorporated with the plant.

No washing line - my missus wouldn’t be without one and I’m sure with the wind you’ll get you’d be getting free drying.

You can’t have enough storage.

I do think your shower rooms are a wee bit tight - you might want to think about making them very slightly bigger - not massive - but decent space between the appliances.

The design slightly reminds me of a house just outside Belfast - similar plan form with a swimming pool and partially underground. If I can find a link I will post it.

I think with the corten steel the house will taken on a monumental feel - almost like a Neolithic structure- but the roof could detract from that unless the roof “floated” above the walls.

Take a look at the Giant’s Causeway Visitor centre - see how the architects created something monumental but simple at the same time.

The wings offer shade to the huge expanses of glass, but mainly, they make the house look like a monolithic structure from Dune... Can't dress them up any better than that. You nailed the idea with lighting though, there will be a strip of lighting around the join between all wings and walls in an attempt to make them look like they're floating. :)

Adding today's iteration of the floor plan. Building regs killed the hidden cinema room idea, but we're working on a compromise. I've also added the accessible shower room in the utility area, and created a bigger space for servers and house tech off the study. 

You're onto something with the tightness of the shower rooms. Looking to see what can be done now. Thanks!

Screenshot_2021-12-08_at_21_37_14.png

Edited by RK6

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Definitely bins next to the house and drag them up the drive on bin day.  I am convinced my present car had a towbar fitted just for that purpose as it was not wired for towing electrics and the tow ball looked like new.

You will need an outdoor clothes drying area for Scottish building regs.  Of course you could take it down afterwards.

Okay, I can't ignore a bunch of you saying the same thing. I'll need to have another think about the bin situation as I hadn't properly considered it and neither had the architect. 

Wasn't aware of the requirement for a washing line. Good to know, thanks!

57 minutes ago, RK6 said:

seriously, dig into the hill a bit more and put the plant next to/near the cinema. you could have rooms there that don't need natural light so it's perfect for a cinema, gym, plant room etc.

means you won't have to use up your garage with plant.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RK6 said:

Separation between work and play is important for me.

I think this point is all too easily overlooked. From personal experience, my advice to people who plan to work from home is to take every opportunity to minimise temptations to slip seamlessly between home and work as it is both counterproductive and can become a pressure-cooker for stress. We deliberately left an 'air gap' between our home and an outbuilding we recently extended to operate our business from. It may mean making a quick dash when raining but that's an important part of the overall philosophy. It would have been all too easy to link the buildings and wander from room to room but now the conscious decision to 'go to work' then 'come home' feels much better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

seriously, dig into the hill a bit more and put the plant next to/near the cinema. you could have rooms there that don't need natural light so it's perfect for a cinema, gym, plant room etc.

means you won't have to use up your garage with plant.

Hadn't thought about that, but that could be a stroke of genius. No idea what the regs are for plant rooms, guessing they need to be fireproof and have decent ventilation, but not sure what else. If they can be underground then it could be the perfect solution to free up some precious garage space! :)

2 minutes ago, Radian said:

I think this point is all too easily overlooked. From personal experience, my advice to people who plan to work from home is to take every opportunity to minimise temptations to slip seamlessly between home and work as it is both counterproductive and can become a pressure-cooker for stress. We deliberately left an 'air gap' between our home and an outbuilding we recently extended to operate our business from. It may mean making a quick dash when raining but that's an important part of the overall philosophy. It would have been all too easy to link the buildings and wander from room to room but now the conscious decision to 'go to work' then 'come home' feels much better.

Huge +1 from me.

I've been working remotely for 5+ years now, and this point is my biggest learning. I know all too well how easy it is to over work and ramp up stress to unhealthy levels, so the separation was something I made very clear in the brief. 

Having the office outside of the main structure would be ace, but for now, keeping the study at the other side of the house should do the job. 

Looks awesome. How you configure it, I always think, down to personal preference so I won't offer any advice - unless you want to hear of our experience with SageGlass. 

A 4-car garage does however demand the question from a petrol-head as to what will you be keeping in it? 

• Like 1

I just had an amazing idea (as I said previously it's easy to spend other people's money!). could you have a 'secret' garage built in to the hillside with a hidden door (think Batman and his Batcave!). you could still have the normal garage for the 'normal' cars and have the secret agent/Iron Man/Batman type garage for the 'special' cars.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 19:09, RK6 said:

Hey everyone!

Design and planning is progressing well for my partially subterranean house in Scotland. You guys are all much more experienced than me, so I'm sure you've got some great feedback that would benefit the build.

Lots of details yet to be worked out (including water/power/heating/cooling), but I'm very excited to be progressing from the initial design phase to the detailed planning phase.  

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 19.11.58.png

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 19.10.44.png

Seems a bit lacking in bedrooms for me given the size and scale of the house. Maybe it is just for a couple and kids moved out so technically loads of spare but thinking to the marketability of a house of the value of this, I think at least another bedroom would be good.

38 minutes ago, NSS said:

Looks awesome. How you configure it, I always think, down to personal preference so I won't offer any advice - unless you want to hear of our experience with SageGlass. 

A 4-car garage does however demand the question from a petrol-head as to what will you be keeping in it? 

The garage is a bit of a beast, and something I've always wanted. It's going to be 8m x 15m so bigger than my first house at 120m2. Little bit ridiculous, but I need workshop space in addition to clean storage for bikes and cars. 

Would definitely be interested in hearing your experience with SageGlass if you don't mind sharing?

Edited by RK6

33 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I just had an amazing idea (as I said previously it's easy to spend other people's money!). could you have a 'secret' garage built in to the hillside with a hidden door (think Batman and his Batcave!). you could still have the normal garage for the 'normal' cars and have the secret agent/Iron Man/Batman type garage for the 'special' cars.

I really wish I didn't see this comment. I'm destined to a life of beans on toast after this build. 

• Haha 1

On 06/12/2021 at 19:09, RK6 said:

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 19.10.44.png

What's the reason for the driveway going up a hill, round the top and back down again?

It would be a lot easier to turn right and straight round the bottom where it is nearly all level to the garage before excavations?

• Like 1

The garage is a bit of a beast, and something I've always wanted. It's going to be 8m x 15m so bigger than my first house at 120m2. Little bit ridiculous, but I need workshop space in addition to clean storage for bikes and cars. 

My garage is about 6m x 12m and is too small ?‍♂️, it’s full already and my day to day car is not In it. NOTE, do not call it a workshop on your plans as VAT is not reclaimable on a workshop but can be on a garage.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What's the reason for the driveway going up a hill, round the top and back down again?

It would be a lot easier to turn right and straight round the bottom where it is nearly all level to the garage before excavations?

Short answer is theatre. There wont be much house visible from the approach, and there will be even less visible when you park and start walking towards the main entrance which is via the existing ruined Doocot to the north. I also didn't want the driveway to kill the impact the view out to the front of the house so wrapping around the back made best sense. 

I also have another entrance to the plot 250m to the east of the house which I may join to the road shown in the plan at a later date which would provide direct access to the garage by skirting around the outside of the plot. That way there would be an entrance for me (to the garage), and another for visitors (to the Doocot). 

• Like 1

Would definitely be interested in hearing your experience with SageGlass if you don't mind sharing?

Yes, but which cars?

We're on the south coast so a long way from your location, but we have relatively little glass compared to your design. Probably easiest if you spend a few minutes reading the following thread (or searching the forum for SageGlass) and then let me know if you have any questions, or I can put you in touch with their UK sales guy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My garage is about 6m x 12m and is too small ?‍♂️, it’s full already and my day to day car is not In it. NOTE, do not call it a workshop on your plans as VAT is not reclaimable on a workshop but can be on a garage.

Time for 4 post car lifts? I'm aiming to clear 3m in internal height (hopefully 3.2 like the rest of the house) to enable stacking in the future if I run out of space. 

• Like 1

Just now, NSS said:

Yes, but which cars?

We're on the south coast so a long way from your location, but we have relatively little glass compared to your design. Probably easiest if you spend a few minutes reading the following thread (or searching the forum for SageGlass) and then let me know if you have any questions, or I can put you in touch with their UK sales guy.

Thanks for the link, will have a read tonight.

I sold my cars and bikes when I left the UK a few years ago as they weren't really special enough to justify holding onto. That said, I'm trying to close a deal on a Testarossa as we speak (been my dream car for years), and I'm also waiting/hoping for a build slot for the 992 3RS whenever its announced. That'll be it for the foreseeable, although I will buy a daily whenever I move back permanently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RK6 said:

Time for 4 post car lifts?

I have been looking for a two post car lift but at my age I won’t be doing anything serious, also mine was built under permitted development (whilst fighting successfully for planning) so I am limited with height. ?‍♂️, just need to build a shed fir my tractor and implements to free up space.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RK6 said:

I sold my cars and bikes when I left the UK a few years ago as they weren't really special enough to justify holding onto. That said, I'm trying to close a deal on a Testarossa as we speak (been my dream car for years), and I'm also waiting/hoping for a build slot for the 992 3RS whenever its announced. That'll be it for the foreseeable, although I will buy a daily whenever I move back permanently. 

Funnily enough, having sold my Aston a month or so ago (someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse), i have a much more modest Porsche on order, and am keeping my eye out for an RS4 Avant.

Edited by NSS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RK6 said:

Meant to add before posting previous reply, I have to admit I know very little about Ferraris as they've never been on my radar (not sure why other than that I have an aversion to red cars), but the Testarossa is definitely an iconic design. 

• Like 1