Jump to content

is this normal carpet fitting procedures? HELP!


TryC
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, TryC said:

i also have 'bubbles' everywhere on the carpet (where it is like an air bubble), the installer said it was because my room is freezing cold and that is why they are there and cannot stretch the carpet - is he taking BS?

They may as well have blamed brexit

Edited by markc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm guessing that the beading is there to cover a gap between skirting and floorboard.  Personally, I'd have taken it off and filled the gap first, then the carpet could have been fitted neatly at the edges. Not sure you can really blame the fitter for that. 

 

The two-tone stuff looks like a join, maybe with the pile running the wrong way.  If they had to put a join in, they really should have made you aware.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

 

Bubbles?

 

I cant see why they are unable to stretch it due to cold. What'll happen exactly?

 

The entire thing looks a bit like you've had "could'nt give a f**k types in here.

bubbles...like if my carpet needed CPR, i could give it cpr, you can see it go up and down like a chest compress.

 

I had the carpet do this in other rooms that we had fitted by other installers (sent by the same carpet company), and I was beginning to think it was normal to have them - although, we didn't have these issues at all when we last had carpet fitted which was so 20 years ago.

 

I don't know what it is, all the couldn't give a F types seem to be coming me lately. I'm having no real luck with the trades of late!

 

They just said the carpet is stiff due to the cold and that the room should be warm to warm up the carpet???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

I'm guessing that the beading is there to cover a gap between skirting and floorboard.  Personally, I'd have taken it off and filled the gap first, then the carpet could have been fitted neatly at the edges. Not sure you can really blame the fitter for that. 

 

The two-tone stuff looks like a join, maybe with the pile running the wrong way.  If they had to put a join in, they really should have made you aware.

i didn't know there was a beading there, yes, i painted it but I just painted it without noting there was a beading. As I said, I never thought the carpet would be fitted the way it has, it had carpet in there before and it wasn't an issue for the fitter back then? they managed to curl it under or whatever they did and make it good. when i took up the old carpet, it was firmly fitted to the floor and was not easy to uplift. I felt the carpet leave the grippers and heard it so, but with this new one, i could probably peel this thing back easily.

 

 

Edited by TryC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TryC said:

i didn't know there was a beading there, yes, i painted it but I just painted it without noting there was a beading. As I said, I never thought the carpet would be fitted the way it has, it had carpet in there before and it wasn't an issue for the fitter back then? they managed to curl it under or whatever they did and make it good.

 

 

 

That isnt the fitter fault as was said above, but I think he could've questioned it.

 

Still, if youd painted it, he may have thought you wanted it that way. All a bit of a shambles really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Makeitstop said:

If you've not paid them yet, I'd be asking questions with retail owner

 

i think i'd ask them to come down and inspect. 

in the last install upstairs, one of the fitters left a black mark, and they said to me, if I couldn't get it out, they would replace the entire carpet in that room. So they should do the same for this one? here's hoping!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TryC said:

Hi, 

 

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

 

We just had our carpets fitted and while the installer advised they could not slip the carpet under the skirting board as usual to get a nice seamless finish (because there was a beading under the skirting board that prevented this). I wasn't sure what he meant this would look like because he was replacing carpet and there were no visible finish issues so I just assumed it would look the same as the carpet being replaced and he was just covering his own workmanship as he also had to look at the work of previously fitted carpets whilst he was here (all fitters sent by the carpet company and not someone I had chosen).

 

Anyway, he has installed the carpet and there is that visible gap between the carpet and the skirt edge and no way in my life did I think this would be how it would be left! as the other carpet was still neatly tucked under.

 

The installer said this is what it will be, as it is a twist carpet and the old carpet is not. I touch the edges and it just goes up and down. This carpet was very expensive and to have it installed like this after such a long wait, to conclude our months long carpet journey, has left me so disappointed.

 

Is this right? twist carpet that cannot go into a skirt because of a beading will forever look like this???

 

 

20211202_164506.jpg

 

20211202_204608.thumb.jpg.fab610df9b7e436d8c75e5599eff5d14.jpg

 

Our 80-20 twist up against skirting sealed to the floor for air tightness. No concerns from fitters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

 

20211202_204608.thumb.jpg.fab610df9b7e436d8c75e5599eff5d14.jpg

 

Our 80-20 twist up against skirting sealed to the floor for air tightness. No concerns from fitters. 

sigh, carpet envy. but do u have issues same as mine? with the skirting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So multiple issues

 

The unneeded beading should have been removed first, before the skirting was painted and before the carpet was fitted.  the fitter should have advised this when he came to measure.

 

If the carpet needed a bit patched in with a join, was it an unusually large room with one dimension longer than the roll width of your chosen carpet?  could you not have found a carpet with a roll width wider to avoid a joint?  Did the supplier not suggest this?

 

And I don't buy the can't stretch it theory.  did you actually see them using a carpet stretcher?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So multiple issues

 

The unneeded beading should have been removed first, before the skirting was painted and before the carpet was fitted.  the fitter should have advised this when he came to measure.

 

If the carpet needed a bit patched in with a join, was it an unusually large room with one dimension longer than the roll width of your chosen carpet?  could you not have found a carpet with a roll width wider to avoid a joint?  Did the supplier not suggest this?

 

And I don't buy the can't stretch it theory.  did you actually see them using a carpet stretcher?

i visited the online store, a guy came to measure, quote, i bought they came over the course of several months and sending no less than 6 fitters (for the 3 jobs in waves) as some fitters came without the correct stuff at times (i.e., no underlay, no plates, no ...carpet), having expected me to provide it for some reason? (no, I don't have a secret carpet stash in my house).

 

If you are suggesting the area where it is two-tone colour is a patch join - no, I didn't even know they would do this, I would of thought they would have measured up and provided me with the right sized carpet before fitting. Is my understanding of your meaning correct??

Edited by TryC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

a family member had taken this photo of the new carpet, I have only just seen this - the backing is already damaged :(

 

is it my fault to expect quality for price paid or do we need to check everything over countless times ? defo agree with you @ProDave when you say there is an importance of trusting your supplier and fitter!!

20211202_211235.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit late but..

Normally the grippers are fitted about 8-10mm away from the skirting not right against it.  The carpet is hooked over spikes on the gripper then tucked down into that gap. See this vid.. Skip to 1:48...

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Temp said:

Bit late but..

Normally the grippers are fitted about 8-10mm away from the skirting not right against it.  The carpet is hooked over spikes on the gripper then tucked down into that gap. See this vid.. Skip to 1:48...

 

 

yes! the grippers were fixed to the floor like this originally (two of these fitters, just used the same ones installed), even though I paid for new grippers in the package, the fitters said they were still good to use and so used them - or maybe they were being lazy and didn't want to remove the old and put in the new I am not sure?

 

I did ask, they said the grippers are good for 20 years and I said that carpet they are removing is 20 years old already (!). They carried on regardless and used the old one.

 

Yesterday's install, they just used the same grippers too, but put new ones where there weren't any i.e., the fireplace - which came well after the carpet many years later. Never had an issue, with the carpet around the fireplace lip, it was in there snug, because it went right over it I suppose, but now, if you press it, the carpet goes up and down.

 

I do distinctly recall there being a little gap between gripper and the carpet - for sure on your comment about being tucked into that gap, that is what I thought it would be done like, as what was done in the carpet that was replaced! tuck and tidy!

 

I am not having much luck with tradespeople in general it would seem. I think once I get this once sorted, I hope for better luck with tradespeople in the New Year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By that last photo the bead is for the wooden floor.

 

If you want one, the neatest fix I can see is to replace the bead with a larger bead say 7-8mm bigger to cover both the edge of the carpet and any damage you do carefully taking the old one off.

 

Attach the new one with a bead of silicone, having painted it first if required, and it will then be removable with a knife next time.

 

You will need something to hold it in place briefly whilst the silicone sets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so, an update with the carpet. The shop wants me to remove the beading before they will re-fit as this is something they do not do. I just don't understand why this is now a problem, if the previous carpets was OK with this and now suddenly it is a problem - the carpet they replaced was in place for 20 years and we had carpet in before that in-situ for about 10. So 30 years no issues, but now they are blaming the beading in place that is properly (most likely) older than me! I really don't understand.

 

Anyway, now I have to remove this beading that looks very much in place - how I don't even know. I don't even know what is hidden under the beading or what it is covering, if it isn't there just to cover a gap between the skirting and floorboard.

 

The two-tone carpet, they said is because the carpet has been rolled up and upright for 6 months or what not, that it will come out and is not a fault (i was never told this could even happen, I didn't know it would happen). I pointed out I was not a carpet expert and would not know this. They said I need to give it a week before they can decide whether to replace it or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i would roll back the carpet from the edge, remove that bead (get a handyman in if you can't do it yourself) and you will probably need to re paint the skirting.  Then get the carpet fitters back to resolve it.  With the bead gone, they will not have an excuse for it not fitting properly.

 

The damaged backing to the carpet is probably not an issue, it is not often they lay with a stock edge against a wall, usually all sides of the room are trimmed to fit and that less than perfect edge will have been cut off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only reason (I can see) fir the beading is to hide a gap under the skirting or if laminate flooring was laid (which you say it was not). I am not a carpet fitter but have laid carpet in the past. Did they come out and measure up for the carpet before fitting?, if so I am surprised that person did not mention the beading as I can see it might cause a problem (and in my opinion not look good. If they have asked you to remove the beading before they lay the carpet they must be supplying new carpet as it will be too short!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The only reason (I can see) fir the beading is to hide a gap under the skirting or if laminate flooring was laid (which you say it was not). I am not a carpet fitter but have laid carpet in the past. Did they come out and measure up for the carpet before fitting?, if so I am surprised that person did not mention the beading as I can see it might cause a problem (and in my opinion not look good. If they have asked you to remove the beading before they lay the carpet they must be supplying new carpet as it will be too short!!!

yes, the sent a guy round and he measured up, but he would not have checked the skirting boards? and would not have seen the beading either because the carpet that was replaced was tucked under nicely and it covered the beading and the bottom part of the skirting. 

 

That is exactly what I said about the carpet then being too short (once I remove the beading), but they said no, the bubbles once the carpet is stretched would provide that 'extra' carpet to go under the skirting board once the beading is gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TryC said:

the carpet that was replaced was tucked under nicely and it covered the beading

I don’t understand that bit, but hey if they are going to re fit after you remove the beading that’s great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

i would roll back the carpet from the edge, remove that bead (get a handyman in if you can't do it yourself) and you will probably need to re paint the skirting.  Then get the carpet fitters back to resolve it.  With the bead gone, they will not have an excuse for it not fitting properly.

 

The damaged backing to the carpet is probably not an issue, it is not often they lay with a stock edge against a wall, usually all sides of the room are trimmed to fit and that less than perfect edge will have been cut off.

but difficult to roll as the guy stuck it down with glue - I dunno, is there some sort of carpet spray/glue?

 

There are some parts that I can get my fingers down to peek into, but I don't want to damage the carpet - then it is my fault. This is probably the reason why they want me to remove the beading - if I damage the carpet, the onus is on me. or the handyman if he damages it.

 

Thing is, what is the beading is there for a greater purpose that I do not know about and by removing it, I get more issues (whether it is there to keep down the pesky squeaks in floorboards, I have no idea)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joe90 said:

I don’t understand that bit, but hey if they are going to re fit after you remove the beading that’s great.

sorry, i don't have photos of the original carpet that shows the skirting board haha. the carpet basically was tucked in regardless of the skirting board with the beading on it. It was nice and seamless. not that what I have now, which looks like the carpet is cut too short and you can see a flapping gap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...