is this normal carpet fitting procedures? HELP!

TryC

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

We just had our carpets fitted and while the installer advised they could not slip the carpet under the skirting board as usual to get a nice seamless finish (because there was a beading under the skirting board that prevented this). I wasn't sure what he meant this would look like because he was replacing carpet and there were no visible finish issues so I just assumed it would look the same as the carpet being replaced and he was just covering his own workmanship as he also had to look at the work of previously fitted carpets whilst he was here (all fitters sent by the carpet company and not someone I had chosen).

Anyway, he has installed the carpet and there is that visible gap between the carpet and the skirt edge and no way in my life did I think this would be how it would be left! as the other carpet was still neatly tucked under.

The installer said this is what it will be, as it is a twist carpet and the old carpet is not. I touch the edges and it just goes up and down. This carpet was very expensive and to have it installed like this after such a long wait, to conclude our months long carpet journey, has left me so disappointed.

Is this right? twist carpet that cannot go into a skirt because of a beading will forever look like this???

20211202_164506.jpg

Yes crap job, does not matter what type of carpet they laid, it’s wrong! Anyway, carpet does not go under the skirting. Smells a lot like bull shit. If the carpet shop supplied the fitter get them out to inspect it and report back.

• Like 1

Carpet very rarely goes under the skirtings, never seen it.

The grippers go around the room, normal a gap between gripper and skirtings.  Underlay goes inside grippers to fill room.  Carpet is stretched on to the grippers

Carpet cut and rolled into gap between gripper and skirtings.

Either, no gripper, not stretched correctly, or cut under size.  We have twist pile and the edges are tucked under.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes crap job, does not matter what type of carpet they laid, it’s wrong! Anyway, carpet does not go under the skirting. Smells a lot like bull shit. If the carpet shop supplied the fitter get them out to inspect it and report back.

will do! thanks for your advice. i will call them in the morning, as the fitter is due to come back tomorrow

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Was there a gap under that beading, which (I assume) was there first?

If not, how is he supposed to get it underneath?

(Not criticizing, enquiring.)

F

i cannot recall to be honest. he just showed me the beading. but my other carpet did not look like the one now 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Carpet very rarely goes under the skirtings, never seen it.

The grippers go around the room, normal a gap between gripper and skirtings.  Underlay goes inside grippers to fill room.  Carpet is stretched on to the grippers

Carpet cut and rolled into gap between gripper and skirtings.

Either, no gripper, not stretched correctly, or cut under size.  We have twist pile and the edges are tucked under.

I'm not sure to be honest, that is what he said to me, when he said I wouldn't get a tidy finish because there is beading under the skirting board. But my other carpet, which I guess is not a twist, I do recall it was tucked under and pinned down onto the gripper - sorry, i do not know the correct terminology. But it looked tidy at the end of the day. Not like the current new carpet which looks like a small animal as gnawed around the edges.

33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Can you post a picture of this "beading under the skirting"?  I am not sure what you mean?

I had a google search. the first image is what I saw and on top of that is the skirting board - I live in an old house, so who knows what they were smoking when they built it! even the skirting board goes into the actual wall in some places!!

I don't have any photos of under the carpet, didn't think I would need it as I didn't think my carpet would ever be installed in this way. The second and third image is of the skirting boards but it is quite far away and you cannot see the beading under it (note, the bead is not all around the room, just in the area the fitter showed me I am sure.

I think he thinks it is acceptable because when he came to fit, the old carpet, I actually pulled off the grippers so I could paint the skirting boards (the white was done by me recently). So, i think he may think this is what my carpet looked like and not folded under and neat and tidy? the second image is of the underlay and the grippers are wooden strip with nail like things in it

Screenshot_20211202-191537_Chrome.jpg

20211202_191451.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-191425_Signal.jpg

4 minutes ago, TryC said:

just also noticed the two-tone colour in the corner of my room. is this a cut and patch? it is the same on the other side too

20211202_194423.jpg

This looks like a compression mark where the carpet has been folded. Should really have been neatly rolled, as that helps to prevent marks like this

Edited by Makeitstop

6 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

You said you had carpet previously, and yet the image shown above shows beading that's often used to edge laminate flooring.

Was your skirting like that image above?

yes, we have always had carpet in that room, that beading was there before i guess. it is an old house, they built things a lot differently back then! even how they put in the picture rails was a sight when we removed them!"

6 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

This looks like a compression mark where the carpet has been folded. Should really have been neatly rolled, as that helps to prevent marks like this

will the two-tone colour go away or do i have to live with it forever?

i also have 'bubbles' everywhere on the carpet (where it is like an air bubble), the installer said it was because my room is freezing cold and that is why they are there and cannot stretch the carpet - is he taking BS?

19 minutes ago, TryC said:

yes, we have always had carpet in that room, that beading was there before i guess. it is an old house, they built things a lot differently back then! even how they put in the picture rails was a sight when we removed them!"

Well, then I guess you're stuck with what you have unfortunately. Still, I do feel it's a bit crap of the fitter to just whack new stuff down without making clear the issues your existing floor posed.

If your skirting had none of that pointless beading, the gripper would be tacked approx 10mm from the face of it, and the carpet is wedged down behind the gripper, where it then sits tightly up against your skirting, as it is held in place by the spikes on the gripper strips.

What you have there will be because the beading is actually stopping the gripper getting "closeenough" to the face of the skirting, and so, by the time the carpet is driven down behind the gripper, it hasn't got the chance to be close enough to the face of the skirting.

To me, the fitter should maybe have pointed that out (or you should have known) that the beading is not supposed to be there when using fitted carpets.

What you have now is the appearance that the carpet was cut short. Not nice

Edited by Makeitstop

4 minutes ago, TryC said:

i also have 'bubbles' everywhere on the carpet (where it is like an air bubble), the installer said it was because my room is freezing cold and that is why they are there and cannot stretch the carpet - is he taking BS?

Bubbles?

I cant see why they are unable to stretch it due to cold. What'll happen exactly?

The entire thing looks a bit like you've had "could'nt give a f**k types in here.