I do not recommend Cortizo Windows or the company that made them.

gc100

If they were manufacture supply and fit at least you only have one firm to chase.

The class 7A was achieved under lab type conditions.  Any bits of missing or badly fitted gasket, incorrect adjustment, poor sealing, bad detailing etc can end up letting in water.

They made and fitted it. Here I quote the owner of the company:

Unfortunately the doors are a flush system brush sealed and in heavy wind and rain like Sunday you will often find that it is heavier than the weather rating (brush will only hold out so much water)
In this weather the system is designed to not allow water past the inner most outer wall of frame. There is nothing I can do to rectify it as it is not something to be rectified. And as expected in those kind of conditions the brushes will only hold out so much water .

Basically where the frame meets the tile there is just a simple brush stuck on the tile  - it's not partocularly air or water tight as you can see. The runners for the frame end about 3 inches short of the end of the frame and then there is a little plastic end cap that 'finishes' off the runner to the end to maintain some form of airtightness. However there is a gap of about 4mm. There is zero adjustment that can be done. This is where the wind is bubbling in I think. However its so tight to the floor I just cannot get to it.

Its just a cr**ping design and sloppy manufacturing, and fitting. The is the window https://www.cortizo.com/en/sistemas/ver/93/cor-vision-plus-sliding.html however the website it out of date with the latest design which we have. They have been a nightmare since day one, been back countless times to fix countless issues.

I will have to bodge something it seems.

Reading into the definition:

The objective of the test is to determine the watertightness of the windows and doors by applying a steady water spray test to the product and applying air pressure to the product which is increased every 5 minutes. Testing is carried out as per BS EN 1027 and is considered completed/failed when water has penetrated the specimen and there is an onset of leakage. The time and maximum pressure achieved before failure is recorded and classified in accordance with BS EN 12208. Leakage is defined as being any appearance of uncontrolled water (other than condensation) on the inner face of any part of the product. Classification for exposure category in BS6375 (Table 1) ranges from Class 0 (no test) to Class 7A for windows (max. test pressure of 300 Pa) and Class 3A for doorsets (max. test pressure of 100 Pa).

A quite look at this https://www.thermosolar.sk/wp-content/uploads/download/certifikaty/protokoly/TS300-TS250-TS500/Windspeed-to-Pressure-conversion-chart-23.9.11.pdf would suggest the winds we had at the weekend was around 150-200pa, so given these failed after a couple of hours (or at least thats when we noticed it), I don't think I have a leg to stand on (they are class 7A)

First time in my life I've had windows that let water in. I thought I'd done my research, but there you go... :(

Edited by gc100
  • Sad 1

Brush only threshold products, should not be sold in the UK.

They should be ashamed of themselves for supplying it. They should be ashamed for allowing the use of this threshold profile. 

If no other threshold profile exists, then they should not be supplying this product in this climate.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey GC100, I’m keen to understand how you resolved the weatherproofing issue on these sliding windows.  I just had mine installed last week and on first inspection they looked great but then when I looked in detail I couldn’t believe the gap between the sliding frames and the finished floor level! there must be a gap of 3 or 4mm which just isn’t air/water tight.

I’ll be speaking to the window company that recommended these windows tomorrow as I can’t believe they would think this is sufficient for any kind of rain and draft proofing.  Keen to understand how you resolved this? My initial idea is some kind of heavy duty seal at the bottom of the frame to sit flush against the floor level.

Cripes, just seen this thread- we had these very sliding doors fitted a few months ago. No water has been blown in, yet. Give it time...

Thanks guys. Yes that’s what I was thinking of having to install in due course once the floor is in. The window company is confident the drainage in the tracks is good so nothing should be blown in, they’re coming back tomorrow to take a look and advise. 

I have a picture but it’s difficult to see as the floor and finish between panels is not in yet. What did you put between the tracks. They’re 20mm deep so was just going to put 20mm tiles that I will also have outside. Do you have pictures of your finish? IMG_8002.thumb.jpeg.14e720063eabc6fb9ace2242bc98cba5.jpeg

Still difficult to gauge your finish, can you take some wider angle pics?

This is south facing, so not as much driving wind, but I have pressure washed it all a few times, incl channels, and that does force water in.. But it sits in the channels a bit, but not enough to need more then a kitchen roll wipe up....

External grout is a bit rough, but we haven't snagged yet...!

20240118_155706.jpg

20240118_155646.jpg

20240118_155629.jpg

20240118_155623.jpg

20240118_155619.jpg

Hi,

sorry for late reply I don’t come here very often these days. In the end I put some 3d printed blocks that have a brush seal pointing upwards embedded in the tiles in parallel with the end face of the doors to seal the gap. 
not had any leaks since as far as I can remember. I slight bit of air movement still comes in (for example now sure storm Isha), but I’m not worried about it as the house is plenty hot enough all the time. 
not sure how long they will last but I could away remove in the future and replace. I glued them down and made sure the tiles aren’t too tight against them so I could get them out in the future.