New build floorplans - opinions welcome

Indy

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Its not in the renders, but we did have a structure at the front on the left hand side in an earlier version of the floorplans. Plan was to have Parking bay 2 as an oak framed open carport attached to the bike storage structure.

However, when we saw the 3D render - it was too imposing and completely blocked the views from the front study so we've given that up and retained a clean view from the street, to keep the light flooding in, at least in the mornings.

Carport.thumb.jpg.138b3460ee265c78115e00d2418a15ef.jpg

People here certainly dont flower their feedback and sometime this is exactly what we need.

That garage structure is too big in the context of the house. One stand alone double garage set bit away from the house would be ok. The georgian design is better definitely and timeless.

I have seen few houses recently built with glass porch nearby and a georgian house built in 2008. One of the house (first pic) is very similar to yours though their width of the main building is 12m and the roof is much simpler and seem nicer. Flat in the middle and pitched ok the sides and this gives you much better space in the loft and look nice or compared to what your architect has drawn. All photos attached just for a your information and comparison purpose.

I will suggest going to Golden Triangle Beaconsfield (last pic) for a drive/walk for inspiration. There are some YouTube videos of those properties as well. There you can see classier design winning by greater margin and people pay premium for them.

Looking back at the design for the the rear of the house I am not sure about the balcony unless you have grand views (even then). I would also suggest showing the plans to a local estate agent and getting their opinion as to how to maximise the value from the design.

20220121_174749.jpg

20220121_174828.jpg

20220121_174930.jpg

20220121_174902.jpg

20220121_175000.jpg

20220121_175245.jpg

Screenshot_20220121-175644_Earth.jpg

Screenshot_20220121-181107_Earth.jpg

Given you have plant room I am suspecting you will have MVHR. Someone told me that open plan kitchen and MvHr might not work and gave me the idea of scullery (smaller dirty kitchen) and a larder in addition to open plan show-off kitchen especially if you cook curries /stories etc regularly. This might not apply to you.

10 minutes ago, Zak S said:

Given you have plant room I am suspecting you will have MVHR. Someone told me that open plan kitchen and MvHr might not work and gave me the idea of scullery (smaller dirty kitchen) and a larder in addition to open plan show-off kitchen especially if you cook curries /stories etc regularly. This might not apply to you.

No problem.  An mvhr input vent at the dining end of the room, and am mvhr extract vent at the cooking end.

Recirculating cooker hood with carbon filters will take care of most of the smells. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No problem.  An mvhr input vent at the dining end of the room, and am mvhr extract vent at the cooking end.

Recirculating cooker hood with carbon filters will take care of most of the smells. 

This is high risk especially for strong spices used in curries when cooking in the open plan living area? The guys at very upmarket kitchen showroom mentioned this subject to cooking styles in the house. I would definitely consult on this as last thing you would want the smell across the house via MVHR. Though all depends on the cooking styles employed in the household. 

I have open plan living area which we dont use other than to have dinners. For me personally need for separate living room is hard to ignore.

Definitely have some sort of separation or room you can sit in other than kitchen adjoining. I don’t like the idea of a snug with no window you can see out of, not only would you cause a fire escape problem (I guess you can go through the stair route, a long way), but it would be pretty unpleasant, just sitting there looking at the birdpoo on the skylight.

also the more I look at the roof, the more I think it’s a nightmare and drawn incorrectly. The plans don’t match the 3D which isn’t a massive problem but you should get them to look at that and fix the plans and check it’s buildable. 

Edited by CharlieKLP

7 hours ago, Indy said:

A little more visualisation of the current design - which adds a little depth. I do still really like it, especially the porch/front entrance bit with the double height glass. 

Decisions decisions... 

Front_render_1.thumb.jpg.cd232c61084b26763d6704d06f744313.jpg

image.thumb.png.8493dfbf28fb9e5faaa47119f926828e.png

I really found it ugly so thought I'd at least try something to make it look better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, freshy said:

I really found it ugly so thought I'd at least try something to make it look better.

I was playing 'spot the difference' and the only thing I thought I found was that you'd modified the lion on the left so it looked a bit like a dog... I didn't spot the bl00dy great windows for quite some time!!

Edited by MJNewton
  • Haha 1

On 21/01/2022 at 19:48, CharlieKLP said:

Definitely have some sort of separation or room you can sit in other than kitchen adjoining. I don’t like the idea of a snug with no window you can see out of, not only would you cause a fire escape problem (I guess you can go through the stair route, a long way), but it would be pretty unpleasant, just sitting there looking at the birdpoo on the skylight.

also the more I look at the roof, the more I think it’s a nightmare and drawn incorrectly. The plans don’t match the 3D which isn’t a massive problem but you should get them to look at that and fix the plans and check it’s buildable. 

The alternative to having the snug where it is, would to swap it out with the study and give it views over the garden. The issue there would then become of how to create access to it without going via our bedroom (a corridor would mean giving up space internally) and another thing we've discovered during lockdown is that you need a study that's tucked away from the family to minimise background noise on calls. 

On 21/01/2022 at 21:10, freshy said:

image.thumb.png.8493dfbf28fb9e5faaa47119f926828e.png

Again, liking this quite a bit though the wife doesn't agree and thinks its too much glass at the front of the house (!) 

I've now gone back to the architects with both these images as a representation to see what we can do. Was very touch and go as we were on the verge of submitting on Friday with the Design and Access statement having been finalised, and the pack ready.

This will probably mean a small delay/additional work and cost to get the frontage right but I am keen to get it right now rather than resolve later. Internal layout, we're fairly set on and I can't see it changing massively but will read through the comments to see what tweaks we want to make. 

Thank you for all the comments so far and please do keep them coming.

On 21/01/2022 at 18:22, Zak S said:

People here certainly dont flower their feedback and sometime this is exactly what we need.

That garage structure is too big in the context of the house. One stand alone double garage set bit away from the house would be ok. The georgian design is better definitely and timeless.

I have seen few houses recently built with glass porch nearby and a georgian house built in 2008. One of the house (first pic) is very similar to yours though their width of the main building is 12m and the roof is much simpler and seem nicer. Flat in the middle and pitched ok the sides and this gives you much better space in the loft and look nice or compared to what your architect has drawn. All photos attached just for a your information and comparison purpose.

I will suggest going to Golden Triangle Beaconsfield (last pic) for a drive/walk for inspiration. There are some YouTube videos of those properties as well. There you can see classier design winning by greater margin and people pay premium for them.

Looking back at the design for the the rear of the house I am not sure about the balcony unless you have grand views (even then). I would also suggest showing the plans to a local estate agent and getting their opinion as to how to maximise the value from the design.

Agreed, Georgian covered in brick would be the winner for me and timeless to boot but it's about how it fits in with the surrounding houses and how the planners are going to view it. One of the partners within the architect's firm is a Chartered Planner and his advice has been that its possible to get what you want - IF you're prepared for a length fight and waiting for a few years to exhaust all the options. That's very much what I don't want and the options we chose were carefully selected to maximise the chances of winning approval in the 1st go!

40 minutes ago, Indy said:

waiting for a few years to exhaust all the options

I don't understand why it would take a few years.  Also, the options are finite.  If you submit an application it will normally be determined within 6 months (often 3), even with amendments and committee. If it is refused, the appeal process should be perhaps a month to prepare and submit and about 8 months to determine.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/appeals-average-timescales-for-arranging-inquiries-and-hearings

The taking years would only happen if, for example, you were trying to build outside the settlement boundary.

Before you submit please have a sence check on the glazing to the west and east. 

It will make the house almost unusable if you continue as is. 

I've been thinking about how to bring in more light.  I would raise the eves height and go for a flat GRP section in the middle of the roof. This would allow you to include some skylights in the centre of the master bedroom ( vaulted ceiling for some real wow!)

Also I would dispence with the balcony and push the master bedroom towards the garden. Widen the hallway and have a large skylight over in the style of an atrium. 

It could look amazing and would transfer the feel of the centre of the house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Agreed, Georgian covered in brick would be the winner for me and timeless to boot but it's about how it fits in with the surrounding houses and how the planners are going to view it. One of the partners within the architect's firm is a Chartered Planner and his advice has been that its possible to get what you want - IF you're prepared for a length fight and waiting for a few years to exhaust all the options. That's very much what I don't want and the options we chose were carefully selected to maximise the chances of winning approval in the 1st go!

Not sure why planner would appose a classic design unless you live in the conservation area. Some time every property in the road is unique so easier to get permission. But if there is strict adherence to certain design feature due to conservation area etc then even your glass porch might struggle. But having said all that you know the road well and what's on there.

PS: roof design and balcony something should be reconsidered. I have not ever seen such a roof.

Edited by Zak S

@Indy I've been plugging away at this for a couple of hours on sketchup. 

First here are the elevations continuing in the style as before. As before I have no idea if the neighbours will be overshadowed or overlooked badly with this design. The council may be dead set against it too. Obvious points to note are. 

1. Same footprint as your existing design. 

2. Simplified roof. Just a hip roof with a flat GRP rectangle in the centre. 

3. Fake chimneys only. 

4. Open porch/balcony added to the rear. 

BEFORE 

image.thumb.png.cd9d0d6ed856a51a27b7b85578290b4e.png

AFTER

image.thumb.png.c79a42b0b0c720fa428f7ec645676448.png

Now for the floor plans.

BEFORE + AFTER

image.thumb.png.fba54a658454c7d6a3ea03a69d3612b1.pngimage.thumb.png.b9a74a31cc53ab61d0638f856a6943f7.png

image.thumb.png.ee0198e3ecdd0505a2eea8382685ba5e.pngimage.thumb.png.97f8cd8cb3020520da12f4c1ec4a099c.png

The foot print is the same I;ve done my best to keep the positioning and sizes of the rooms as you had them. Changes to note: 

1. I've added side windows to the porch. 

2. The hallway is more defined and has built in storage. 

3. The study has an additional south facing window, built in book shelves and a glazed door with sidelights to brighten the hallway. The Storage opposite is symetrical. 

4. The generous sized WC (wheelchair accessible size)  has a south facing window and the door into the hall has a fanlight to do the same. Symetrical with the door to the visitors suite opposite. 

5. The Visitors suite enters into a large dressing area with a tall window. The bedroom has an extra window and some shelving. It is further removed from the hallway for privacy and noise. 

6. The central hallway is the part of which I am most happy! The staircase is much more of an event, fitting of such a larger house. Storage underneath.  The South facing tall window will give tremendous light.  Above is a surrounding wrap around landing and in the flat roof 3no 1m2  velux flat roof lights. 

7. I've removed the niche for the ASHP. it would be more effective in the front garden with a stylish screen. Where it is it's awkward to build around and might be continuously defrosting due to lack of airflow. Also I'm not too enamoured with such a high current device enclosed on all but one side by the house re fire. 

Domestic bliss calling here............................................ I'll finish when I get a chance! 

Edited by Iceverge
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think there’s just something fundamentally wrong with the proportions and (not to get too architecy) hierarchy of the different parts. 

I don’t have a problem with glazed entrances, but they say a lot about the people who have them and I would say, use them incorrectly. 

A brief update following some very active conversation with my architect this week (who also has a link to this thread and has been through the comments and other sketches).

1. They very kindly drew up a number of different Georgian options for us to consider. Not that this hadn't been considered in the past but laying it on the plot and comparing ridge and eaves heights, its clear that the georgian facade wouldn't work. The Chartered Planning consultant that's part of their firm also provided her professional opinion that the design would be out of kilter with the neighbouring plots and that the planners would take a very strong view of the proposed height of our development  - which goes from 1.5 storey to 2 storeys and a loft.

The end result is that we've taken their professional view into consideration and decided that it's not going to work.

2. We are in the process of looking at alternative options to pretty up the front facade, which includes the increased glazing on the 1st floor windows, different fenestration options amongst other things. I hope to get updates from them by the end of this week.

3. I've asked them to reconsider the roof design and we're looking to incorporate some rooflights/velux windows to bring more light into the centre of the house and change the design of the front gables so that it allows us to take the glazing all the way to the roof. This will mean a revised roof design and adding considerable cost - so we're considering our options here - but this is something that can be tweaked at a later stage, after planning has been granted. 

• Like 2

On 29/01/2022 at 12:39, Zak S said:

@Indy similar to your original design I noticed some where :)

20220129_123242.jpg

Thank you so much for this, eerily close to what we were going for and great to see a visual representation of a finished product. The only difference would have been the choice of external cladding where we're leaning towards bricks/brick slips rather than render/timber cladding. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

A brief update following some very active conversation with my architect this week (who also has a link to this thread and has been through the comments and other sketches).

1. They very kindly drew up a number of different Georgian options for us to consider. Not that this hadn't been considered in the past but laying it on the plot and comparing ridge and eaves heights, its clear that the georgian facade wouldn't work. The Chartered Planning consultant that's part of their firm also provided her professional opinion that the design would be out of kilter with the neighbouring plots and that the planners would take a very strong view of the proposed height of our development  - which goes from 1.5 storey to 2 storeys and a loft.

The end result is that we've taken their professional view into consideration and decided that it's not going to work.

2. We are in the process of looking at alternative options to pretty up the front facade, which includes the increased glazing on the 1st floor windows, different fenestration options amongst other things. I hope to get updates from them by the end of this week.

3. I've asked them to reconsider the roof design and we're looking to incorporate some rooflights/velux windows to bring more light into the centre of the house and change the design of the front gables so that it allows us to take the glazing all the way to the roof. This will mean a revised roof design and adding considerable cost - so we're considering our options here - but this is something that can be tweaked at a later stage, after planning has been granted. 

One further update that I forgot to add is that all the glazing on the sides - the advice from the architect is that it wouldn't be worth it. We're building pretty close to the boundary on either side (leaving just over 1m to be compliant with the regulations) and have buildings on either side. So the windows on the sides won't actually bring in much light.

Still debating as to whether its worth it, but this seems like sound advice - focus on the front (east) and back (west) glazing and rooflights on top, rather than spend more on the side windows which won't add much in the way of light but will increase cost. Happy to hear opinions on this.

5 hours ago, Indy said:

take the glazing all the way to the roof.

You're going to build an uncoolable unheatable monster if you're not careful. Have a proper energy model done before committing to this. After planning is too late. 

Can you confirm your architects credentials please. Beginning to have my suspicions. They seem to show a poor appreciation of natural light re south facing windows. As I understand they can be frosted if needed for privacy. 

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Oof awkward. 

But massive kudos to you for rethinking.

Why are they wasting time drawing up Georgian facades if they don’t match the area and have eves that are too high? (Hope that was free lol)

Will what you have now even get planning at that height? 

The objective should be get planning on something buildable and within budget. For the price you are paying it should be attractive. I’m not sure you’re there yet on any of those.

What styles are appropriate for your area? Can they give you better guidance?

Edited by CharlieKLP
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Iceverge said:

You're going to build an uncoolable unheatable monster if you're not careful. Have a proper energy model done before committing to this. After planning is too late. 

Can you confirm your architects credentials please. Beginning to have my suspicions. They seem to show a poor appreciation of natural light re south facing windows. As I understand they can be frosted if needed for privacy. 

This is something they've already taken into account and some of the design decisions (especially the recessed balcony) was at their suggestion - to fit in with the SAP calcs.

And while I thank you for your concern, I do have trust and confidence  in their abilities. If anything, I'm guilty of what has been mentioned in the past - i.e. being too prescriptive on what I want and to their credit they've usually run with it and given me most of what I asked for.