Structural Warranty Quotes

I have been getting quotes for structural warranty for a 280 m2 house.

LABC declined to quote. They dont like the KORE passive slab system that MBC supply. Has anyone managed to get LABC to provide a warranty for an MBC frame with the passive slab?

CRL - 4000.

Buildstore  - £3350

Waiting to hear from Protek. Have I missed anyone?

Do these sound reasonable?

• Like 1

yes selfbuildzone came back cheaper than buildstore 

I cant remember exactly now but i found a number of the other warranty providers use the same underlying company for the warranty and came back with differing quotes

I went with local authority on the basis that LABC would be able to insure without checking. They have rejected it. I didnt actually think that any structural warranty provider would have problems with the MBC/KORE system.I have paid the initial fees to LA but it may be worth looking at building control elsewhere if the overall package is cheaper overall. LA BC feels are actually quite low compared to a couple others I have had back.

• 2 months later...

PeterW,

I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier. We had a break from 'building' for a while. Coming back again.

I set up a limited company (for tax purposes) . It's hard to get a good quote for warranties and insurance, as I have no experience.

I can't do it the way you mentioned (although I know it's the best way for us and it's very attempting for me). I have 2 small kids , I live in a toy shop, would have school run problems if we moved etc. 

We will start building with one house, as we still have problems with missing land. Maybe some of you remember my thread about mistake in land registry map.(Just to give you an update...we wanted to buy missing 1,3m from our neighbor ....our solicitor discovered after 4 months, that according to land registry map we already own the land we want to buy and we can't buy the land we own......)

We have done drainage last week...the 80 year old neighbor already phoned me and wants me to paint her fence.... Fun has begun :))

IMG_0547.JPG

Site insurance.  You really need some sort of cover in place when work starts (if not earlier) to mitigate your liability should something go wrong.  BC inspections will be required at key stages, starting with foundations. Warranty may be optional, depending on your lender if you have one, and/or your plans to sell in the future.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2016 at 08:22, Oz07 said:

A PCC enables you to borrow money on your finished house without the expense of a warranty. 

I think the comments above are a bit OTT. Alot of people view nhbc as worthless remember!

PCC? Excuse my ignorance.

After looking into this myself I have opted to not get any, this has been discussed here before and I am planning to stay put for at least ten years but if I do have to sell I will take out indemnity insurance when I do sell and from discussions here before it's cheaper than doing it now ( and that's if it's needed) . It has also been said here before that NHBC indemnity insurance is not worth the paper it's written on if your trying to claim.

6 minutes ago, Mikey_1980 said:

One to thing to think about is wether you will need to remortgage when the build is complete, we are switching lenders and they required the warranty to do this.

Well we are lucky that we don't need a mortgage otherwise I would have considered some sort of warranty.

On 24/11/2016 at 10:04, Sensus said:

An individual payout by a Structural Warranty company is a tiny percentage of the NHBC/LABC's annual turnover, whereas the implications for an individual Professional Consultant can be dire - they can rapidly become uninsureable, which will put them out of business.

I can't argue with your view, and if I'd heard it earlier this year I may have made a different decision. However, perhaps, that as the risk for the 'professional' is significantly greater, maybe they'll take more care to ensure that your house is built right? Surely that's the primary aim, rather than the ease of making a claim if it all goes to rat$h!t!

• 1 year later...
On 25/11/2016 at 12:13, Mikey_1980 said:

One to thing to think about is wether you will need to remortgage when the build is complete, we are switching lenders and they required the warranty to do this.

We purchased a warranty (however, per other thread, looks like the underlying insurer has gone into administration before we got the cert) but during the remortgage off Ecology, the surveyor only asked 'if' we had a warranty - never asked to see it.

Obviously some will be more diligent than others!