Structural Warranty Quotes

It's a quick one.

I have, on recommendation, received a quote from CRL for structural warranties, I would like to compare this to other quotes.

Does anybody else have any recommendations for a warranty they felt they got a good deal through/good service.

Thanks

Not heard of CRL, I ended up with Buildzone after getting a few quotes and reading the cover provided. The "top-tip" for saving money is to combine structural warranty with build control. The inspections overlap and, in my case, adding BC cost an extra £200ish instead of about £1k if bought separately.

Buildzone have been fine to deal with as have their subcontracted inspector. I had to appeal some decisions and a remediation notice and, in the end, all was fine.

• Like 3

I got both site insurance and warranty (and thus the building control as otherwise it would have cost an extra £1000 to use my own BCO) via Buildzone. 

Didn't seem to be any chance to get a discount as they seem to be different parts of the company.

But obviously try for yourself- you might be better than me

We went with LABC, and used the LA BCO for Building control, both have been fine to deal with. The LABC even picked up a structural issue that the LA BC missed and MBC corrected quickly as it was nothing too major just some vertical timbers through the floors.

LABC had no issues with our passive slab, we took out the warranty in December last year (2015)

I actually went with C-R-L in conjunction with Assent who will inspect for warranty as well as executing Building Control. Trade Direct/SelfBuild services needed two weeks to quote (and I didn't have the time). Ark didn't seem to be that interested in the Self Build market. Got a cheaper quote from Premier, but then found out that they might have issue with my reinforced concrete slab (apply/give money/await engineers assessment/engineer says no or asks for premium).

Guess the moral is - shop around.

Another for selfbuildzone here. The Building Control part pretty much comes for free compared to other warranties with separate building control. I asked about discount for insurance as well and they said no chance as it is through another company. What was interesting though was that my insurance quote actually went down when I extended the period from 18 months to 2 years. My policy is 2 years and converts into normal building insurance once the build is complete. Building control was contracted through BBS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was just on the phone with NHBC. They estimates £1355.00 for structural warranty for a house worth min. £180.000

That's a lot..

Could you please just confirm if I'm right.

If I decide to go Full Planning Application way (for 2 houses) , I will pay .£205.00 plus £658.00  (please see picture)

Does it include site visits of building inspector ?

and just need to find insurance (is it building insurance, or how it it called?)

Thanks a lot

BC.jpg

Edited by anna

16 hours ago, anna said:

I was just on the phone with NHBC. They estimates £1355.00 for structural warranty for a house worth min. £180.000

That's a lot..

Could you please just confirm if I'm right.

If I decide to go Full Planning Application way (for 2 houses) ,

Did the NHBC know you are building two houses? I might be wrong but they used to have a policy for self builders building their own house (single), but if building multiple houses or houses for sale at a profit or they expected you to become an NHBC registered builder. I may have that wrong.

Yes my understanding is you would pay £205 + £658 and that includes site visits. Best plan is to conclude each site visit by asking when he wants you to call him back for the next one. If he finds anything that needs fixing or if he suggests a work around send him a letter to confirm what was agreed verbally.

Hi.

Yes you are right. I forgot to mention. I registered myself as LTD company (tax purposes)

I told them that I'm a developer and I have a self employed builders.

They told me I need to register myself , another £1158.00 

So I think the warranty they offered is Buildmark,

Thank you

I'm really confused which warranty to take.

I read all the threads about it on a previous forum, but still not sure. I haven't quoted any other than NHBC yet, but I'm going to and I think it will be cheaper.

I noticed NHBC offers' discounted' insurance too. Did anybody use it?I guess its not really cheaper:)) but will see.

Is the insurance I need just called SITE insurance or should I shop by other names ?

Another question please.

I'm trying to figure out External Floor Area (for the warranty quote)

Ground floor and first floor are ok, not sure about the second floor, with the roof, not sure witch number to use . There is a dormer window too there. Could someone please help?

Thank you

second.jpg

Hi

Rule of thumb is that if the ceiling height is less than 1m it is not counted as floor space. 

For info, 162sqm warranty is coming in at around £650 at the moment for us

Thanks

Peter

• Like 1

Its via Buildsafe for the warranty.

Height will be on the elevations, and it won't usually be marked ! What happens is they put the scale at a printed page size on the plans (1:50 at A3 etc) and then you just use a scale rule to read it off.

If you use 2.4m for ceiling, and 250mm per floor depth, for the purposes of estimating you won't be far out.

• Like 1

Ground floor 6,965m x 6,065m = 42,24m2

First floor 42,24m2

Second floor 6,065m x 3,7m= 22,44m2

GEA = 106,92m2

I hope I'm right :-)

Thank you very much . Really helped me a lot.

Hi.

Could you please advise what the best way of doing it is. I'm just completing the quotes for warranty. I have 0 experience in building. My builders has more than 15 years.

Is it better to state that I am a developer and a builder (and then subcontract work to the builder) or to state that I am a developer with 0 experience but I have a builder with 15 years of experience. 

I wouldn't even think about stating that I am a builder too, but ..... the lady on NHBS helpline suggested to do it that way to avoid registering myself and a builder . :-)))

I think my question is: how important is the experience for insurance providers?

Ok - probably worth deciding up front how you will be developing.

Are you looking to do this as a limited company or a sole trader ..? This influences how the form will be filled in, and for some insurers that will also include status of the company / trading arrangement. 

If you've already decided that, you will need to put in place various "systems" such as a Quality Management System (QMS) and the processes you will follow to ensure a reasonable quality level within the build. These don't need to be onerous but they do need to be thought through and documented as they may also form part of any JCT minor works contracts you put in place with any subcontractors. 

The main question is do you have to build both together ..? If you built the first one as a self builder and moved into it, whilst building the second, then it would allow you to be a "self builder" with the benefits of retaining both the warranty and CGT rules as long as you live in both for 12 months each if I've interpreted the rules correctly !