Does the Bora hob scratch?

On 25/07/2021 at 15:34, Mandana said:

I’m lining the base of the kitchen and utility cupboards with a specific felt liner for the job,

@Mandana can you elaborate on that felt. We’ve been looking for something to do the job but found nothing we like yet. 

You have two choices in life with any visible product that is heavily used, either buy the most expensive thing you can that is renowned as strong so it looks good and you can enjoy it (& don’t fret but be careful) or get something cheaper that still gives a similar effect which you are happy to replace when it looks a bit tatty! Same applies to nearly everything in life. I wouldn’t really want to be putting a protector on something I want to use if it’s also supposed to look nice but that’s my take on it because protectors undoubtedly look worse than a cheaper product I’m less worried about and then I would wonder why I even bothered, unless you really just want a kitchen as a show kitchen for when friends are over ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d come back to this. A year on and the surface of our Bora hob is shot. Scratches everywhere, and I’ve been so careful to not drag anything across it. It is just so prone to scratching. 

Last night I used a new pan which has a disc in the middle with the company name. It’s totally ruined my hob. So annoyed with the pan, myself for using it and the hob for being so scratchable. Ugh 😩

Picture below with offending pan 

4BA2C58C-7BBC-4B7C-A8EF-FB2761611D2D.jpeg

• Sad 1

We have been using a couple of Bake O Glide hob protectors on our Bora hob (one each side) - after over twelve months of daily use it has virtually no marks.

The Bake O Glide protectors are a perfect size and they have silicon edges - people think they are part of the hob.

Edited by wozza

22 minutes ago, wozza said:

We have been using a couple of Bake O Glide hob protectors on our Bora hob (one each side) - after over twelve months of daily use it has virtually no marks.

The Bake O Glide protectors are a perfect size and they have silicon edges - people think they are part of the hob.

Dammit!! Why didn’t I know about these before? 😫😫😫

33 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@Mandana that’s gutting (well it would be for me).

The Lakeland protectors we’ve been using has kept our hob looking like new for anyone else looking for ’prevention’. 

Wish I’d known about these 😩

Edited by Mandana

Thanks everyone. I’m wallowing in self-pity for not buying something sooner. Woe is me! 

Never mind. In the grand scheme of things there are plenty who would be overjoyed that their main upset of the day was a scratched hob. 

• Like 2

Is there something different about the Bora surface. We have had 3 Siemens induction hobs over the last 20 years and not had a single scratch on any of them. Actually looking at the picture of the edge, is it coated with a black coating, it looks like it is coming off at the edge? Siemens hobs are ceramic glass with any colour under the glass.

My wife's friend did scratch a different one by dragging an iron pot across it, but that was her fault. It was just a single scratch though, never seen anything like that.

I wonder if T-cut might fix that, I would suggest a magic sponge but the surface should too hard for that to work.

• 2 months later...

Likewise we used a Neff for over a year prior to the old house demo and no issues and that with me not being overly careful half the time. Now bought a ex-demo Bora for the new house - if that ever gets out of the ground - so Im hoping that Bora dont use some sort of inferior glass!

On 25/08/2022 at 19:47, AliG said:

Is there something different about the Bora surface. We have had 3 Siemens induction hobs over the last 20 years and not had a single scratch on any of them.

In this rental we've had some off brand hob that has been treated 'fairly well' but I certainly move pans around from burner A to B (without lifting) and no hugely noticeable scratches

@Mandana a very stupid question perhaps but it *almost* looks like you still have the protective plastic film on your hob.... you know, the thin sheets of plastic that you can always peel off electric equipment in a pretty satisfying way... could it be ..?

Frankly unless you did something truly unreasonable that level of scratching feels it should fall under warranty..

• 2 weeks later...

You may remember back in August my husband a brilliant idea of how to use my big non-induction pan on our induction hob. Our new, very expensive Bora hob! 

It worked really, really well … until it didn’t, and the pan which was the conductor overheated and bowed  😩

This caused the disc on the bottom to protrude, and as I was stirring the mahoosive pan full of whatever it was I was batch cooking, the conductor pan turned and made circular scratches in the black ceramic glass. 

The other day I got a quote to replace the glass as I was so upset about how it looked, but when I talked to the engineer he said he would try buffing the scratches out first with Barkeepers Friend. As I happened to have some I gave it a go. Would you believe it, it worked really well! 

Not all the scratches are gone, but I’ll keep at it gently buffing and try to remove all the scratches. Saved us over £921.60!!!

Top photo was the damage. Below photo is after first attempt to buff out the scratches. In time it may well be like new again 🤞🏻

275A602F-A520-4F78-81EE-6B40A9B7125F.jpeg

• Like 2