Electricity provider/Meter install

KTB

We have agreed to pay Scottish Power (The network owner) to run cable to our site as a temporary connection, but they have said we require to have a meter installed after that.

Does anyone have any tips/preferences/avoid at all cost advice re: putting the meter in??

Thanks in advance. 

Just now, TonyT said:

Start now, if you are lucky it might be in for project completion!

Yeah - We are - And, we have only done pre planning re: site access so far !! Although the plot was previously granted permission for 4 houses, which still stands.

After our experiences with Scottish Power, Scottish Water and Openreach I sometimes wonder how anything gets done at all. 

Only advice I have is to factor in a lot of extra time for any of them to get anything done.

So you have the power in so you will have your MPAN number.

You can now contact any energy provider you wish and sign up with them and as a new customerthey will come and fit the meter.

I found it a lot simpler to sign up with SSE who is also the DNO here on their standard variable rate, no fixed term contract, and then swap energy supplier once the meter was in, as not all suppliers will fit a meter.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a zero/low standing charge electricity supplier who will fir a new meter? I have a new connection in a kiosk which will new used as temporary building supply. Tried searching the web but I can’t see anything suitable. All the comparison sites want to know my current supplier and how much I am paying now ... ?

We've signed up with Octopus to install a meter and have an install date for the main supply from scottish Power in 2 weeks. Here's hoping 

In the meantime, bought a static caravan thinking I could run it with a generator until the install - Hmmmm

Caravan is a 32A supply, (pretty hefty) generator output is 16A - Totally different connectors - Trying to locate an electrician to advise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KTB said:

We've signed up with Octopus to install a meter and have an install date for the main supply from scottish Power in 2 weeks. Here's hoping 

In the meantime, bought a static caravan thinking I could run it with a generator until the install - Hmmmm

Caravan is a 32A supply, (pretty hefty) generator output is 16A - Totally different connectors - Trying to locate an electrician to advise. 

Caravan can be whatever you expect to run on electricity. If you have no electric heaters and only want to have lights, TV and boil a kettle occasionally then 16A is fine. Whats more important is the size of the generator KVA?

1 hour ago, markc said:

Caravan can be whatever you expect to run on electricity. If you have no electric heaters and only want to have lights, TV and boil a kettle occasionally then 16A is fine. Whats more important is the size of the generator KVA?

Thanks Mark, it's this generator - Its a German model, with a really terrible manual - I need to change the connector too - Currently trying to source a wiring diagram 

We really only need to run the electrics for the gas boiler, the lights and a TV, daily hoover and shower, occasional kettle - all the rest is gas. 

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

@KTB thats a decent gennie, I would keep the red 3 phase plug and split your usage on the caravan.

Bit of faffing but would get the best out of the generator and prevent lights diming or tv problems while using shower etc.

a sparky will know what i mean. 

Then again as this is only temporary, just get a 16a 5 pin 3 phase plug and pick up one phase and neutral.

3 minutes ago, markc said:

@KTB thats a decent gennie, I would keep the red 3 phase plug and split your usage on the caravan.

Bit of faffing but would get the best out of the generator and prevent lights diming or tv problems while using shower etc.

a sparky will know what i mean. 

Then again as this is only temporary, just get a 16a 5 pin 3 phase plug and pick up one phase and neutral.

Thank you Mark - I'll grab a plug later and give it a try 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KTB said:

Thanks Mark, it's this generator - Its a German model, with a really terrible manual - I need to change the connector too - Currently trying to source a wiring diagram 

We really only need to run the electrics for the gas boiler, the lights and a TV, daily hoover and shower, occasional kettle - all the rest is gas. 

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

That generator is less useful than you think, unless you want to drive a 3 phase load.

I bought one from a man selling it out of his van, brand new, identical to that but a different silly name.

Each of the 3 single phase outputs are a surprisingly small rating and you CANNOT connect them on parallel to get more load, so unless you are going to rewire the caravan with a 3 phase board to split the loads it will be very limiting.

Once I realised how rubbish it was I advertised mine on Gumtree and sold it for more than I paid the man with the van.

4 hours ago, KTB said:

Its a German model, with a really terrible manual - I need to change the connector too - Currently trying to source a wiring diagram 

Seriously ?!?

Do NOT even THINK of running different phases in a caravan off that red outlet. :S Lethal advice, unless you go to a new 3ph CU with all RCBO's. Cheaper to buy a proper 1ph genny.

Leave it well alone and sell off this boat anchor. ?

• Like 1

I think the one I had had a PEAK rating of 7KVA, but that is loading all 3 phases.  So the peak load on one phase was about 2.3kVA not even enough to run a kettle.  And that was the peak load, not continuous.

If I recall it had a copy of a Honda engine powering it.

as @Nickfromwales says dispose of it and buy the best single phase generator you can.

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

I think the one I had had a PEAK rating of 7KVA, but that is loading all 3 phases.  So the peak load on one phase was about 2.3kVA not even enough to run a kettle.  And that was the peak load, not continuous.

If I recall it had a copy of a Honda engine powering it.

as @Nickfromwales says dispose of it and buy the best single phase generator you can.

Didn't realise it was a heap of junk - Thankfully, I just borrowed it from a mate - I'll get on the phone to speedy and hire a decent single phase one - Have an electricity install date of the 30th anyway 

On 20/07/2021 at 21:32, Bonner said:

Can anyone recommend a zero/low standing charge electricity supplier who will fir a new meter? I have a new connection in a kiosk which will new used as temporary building supply. Tried searching the web but I can’t see anything suitable. All the comparison sites want to know my current supplier and how much I am paying now ... ?

I tried searching to and there aren't any.  The reason that I have been told is that all energy providers that to pay a fee to the National Grid which provides the  transmission and distribution of electricity.  "In 2016, Ofgem removed the requirement for tariffs to have a standing charge following recommendations by the Competition and Markets Authority. However, though suppliers are no longer required to set a standing charge on their tariffs most still do."

• Like 1