Material shortage

nod

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2021 at 09:07, ToughButterCup said:

Why oh why oh why did I sell my Landrover

To translate a compound noun to English, because they are:

Posycrapunreliablecostlyuncomfortabledreadfulwasteofspace.

Easier to say they are just shit.

You can tow with a normal car. I towed a 22 foot spa bath to Gibraltar, behind a 309 diesel.

51 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

To translate a compound noun to English, because they are:

Posycrapunreliablecostlyuncomfortabledreadfulwasteofspace.

Easier to say they are just shit.

You can tow with a normal car. I towed a 22 foot spa bath to Gibraltar, behind a 309 diesel.

no other vehicle of the size can LEGALLY tow as much weight as a landrover --no other vehicle of its size can tow a 3ton digger +trailer OR A HORSE BOX AND 2 BIG HORSES  --thats why people like them 

as they out dated junk ,that should have had the basic problems sorted 30years ago--YES

why no galvanised  chassis from new?

, when by 1960,s they knew they were just buckets - lots of other well known problems i could recount --but no need if you have one you will know about them 

Edited by scottishjohn

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

lots of other well known problems i could recount --but no need if you have one you will know about

Drive and half shafts.

Kind of defeats the purpose of them.

Strange some how people like modern kit in a house, but want to own a 70 year old design crap car.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 12:33, SteamyTea said:

Drive and half shafts.

Kind of defeats the purpose of them.

Strange some how people like modern kit in a house, but want to own a 70 year old design crap car.

You've got a strong dislike for them eh? They're a bit marmite. You either like them or not. Did you own one that was particularly troublesome for you, or is it hate from afar?

We've got newer cars, but the landrovers are my favourite.

No one has complained about the old design when they ask me to pull them out of trouble in winter, no matter what they're driving. ?

2 hours ago, Digmixfill said:

You've got a strong dislike for them eh

Only mechanically.  I like the look of them, though they are cramped inside, but then so was the Discovery.

A farming mate of mine had one, I was always having to go around to fix it, then he got a Disco, that was just as bad.

He ended up with a couple of Troopers, had little trouble from them.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I was always having to go around to fix it,

That’s the bit where you either love them or hate them, it’s just part of the package of owning a Land Rover. I have two, one of them is just used as a non MOT off public road vehicle and despite its terrible condition it just keeps going, if you applied the same amount of neglect to any other car  they would just NOT work but Land rovers are so chunky that they are very forgiving when it comes to neglecting repairs and maintenance.......

4 minutes ago, Cpd said:

if you applied the same amount of neglect to any other car  they would just NOT work

Anything with a Peugeot XUD engine would still be going.

Landrovers should be classed as EVs, the body panels and the rivets make a mice battery.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Only mechanically.  I like the look of them, though they are cramped inside, but then so was the Discovery.

A farming mate of mine had one, I was always having to go around to fix it, then he got a Disco, that was just as bad.

He ended up with a couple of Troopers, had little trouble from them.

You get good and bad builds with all makes. We owned a Ford Focus once that would make the pope swear :$

We've had our Discovery from new in 2001. The chassis is made of cheese and since about 2016 it has needed patching for MOT. Everything else has been wonderfully reliable. It has only needed service items along the way - belts, fluids, wheel bearings, bulbs, tyres. Our Defender is a TD5 engine (as with the Discovery). It's got panel damage and is looking a little tired, but it keeps on plodding. As @Cpd mentions above, even neglected they will still keep going.

Re: your battery comment - galvanic corrosion is the bane of the Defender.

Both are great for loading up with heavy/bulky stuff at the merchants.  It's just costing more to fill them now with prices on their upward trend.

11 minutes ago, Digmixfill said:

As @Cpd mentions above, even neglected they will still keep going.

Don't sound it.

My current car has had one set of discs and pads, still on original clutch and cam belt.

The only thing to stop working is the heater fan on settings 1 and 2.

Oh, and had a 5 quid bit of pipe changed, but could have done that myself if I had had time.

In 170k miles. Now for to the stage where it is not worth changing clutch and cambelt.

How can a 'rugged 4x4" need a wheel bearing?

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

How can a 'rugged 4x4" need a wheel bearing?

I'm assuming your 170K is all on tarmac?

My discovery isn't a Chelsea tractor that's polished and clean. Try driving your current car through deep muddy water for a while, or axle deep mud  and see how your wheel bearings and brakes hold up :)

10 minutes ago, Digmixfill said:

Try driving your current car through deep muddy water for a while, or axle deep mud  and see how your wheel bearings and brakes hold up

You don't live in Cornwall do you, wading rivers is not unusual, had to do it this week.

But I would think that lateral loads on a wheel bearing are higher on the road, as are the breaking forces (generally the greatest forces on a car).

It is decades since I studied automotive engineering. But the book fell open at the right pages.

IMG_20210524_190211903_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210524_190159575_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210524_190137166_HDR.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

I'm in the midlands, but have dunked my car in many counties and two continents. 

I think it's the abrasive properties of the mud and stuff that gets trapped in or near the hubs that eventually breaks the seal on a bearing. The next dunking puts the abrasive paste into the bearing itself and then it's just a matter of time before they grumble to let you know they need replacing.

Edited by Digmixfill
two isn't many

15 minutes ago, Digmixfill said:

I think it's the abrasive properties of the mud and stuff that gets trapped in or near the hubs that eventually breaks the seal on a bearing.

Or just poor design, testing and quality of materials.

(My Suzuki Swift used to eat through rear wheel bearings and it only weighed the same as an empty packet of crisps)

"If you want to go to the Outback, get a Landrover, if you want to come back, get a Toyota"

4 minutes ago, Digmixfill said:

Or my lax cleaning after getting it dirty?

I'm happy with the 20 years of ownership so far, and happy to keep it for as long as I can.

Cars are like my women.

Dirty, unreliable and now all over 20.

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

It is decades since I studied automotive engineering. But the book fell open at the right pages.

Unless I'm looking to modify something my automotive engineering is simplified to  broken=order parts and fix.

I have enough time vampires to juggle already :ph34r:

On 02/05/2021 at 08:23, PeterW said:

Popped out for some postcrete for a DIY project - none in town (sheds or BMs)  - managed to get last 3 bags in next town along at Screwfix.

No cement based products of any description available at moment whether bags of dust or the DIY readymix bags.

• Sad 1

Cement! 3 bags of it.....in Wickes! Mind you I had to travel. The website says that Erith has 120 in stock. When I got there they had precisely NONE.

I'd clocked going in, an abandoned trolley by the tills with 6 bags on. As I'm standing looking at the empty shelves a Wickes guy brought the trolley back and said "That's all we've got, do you want the lot?"