Refused planning objection letter

Bud 1

Hi all

hope you can help me 

I have required the objection letters from the council regarding my plans 

can anyone tell me if I can legally get the door numbers  who put the complaints in  as my council don’t advertise the complaint on the local planning web site 

Yes I can

kitchen smells ,

I have looked on that open land for years ,

All the houses are different down the road but yours will not fit in  to it with the style 

thanks joe 90

Perhaps that was a mistake  to give me that  information , may have  been   made by a junior person 

????, thats so funny, the only thing the council may pick up on is “fitting in with the local vernacular” and this is totally dependant on the planners personal opinion relative to your area. Let us know how you get on (we have lots of knowledge here about planning refusals and even going to appeal!!!!).?

1 hour ago, Bud 1 said:

Perhaps that was a mistake  to give me that  information , may have  been   made by a junior person 

No, you have every right to be aware of the content of objections that are made, otherwise you have no ability to address them.

If those are the only objections you've received, I'd just ignore them. If "I have looked on that open land for years" were a valid objection, nothing would ever get built unless it were completely out of sight of every other dwelling. "kitchen smells" is simply ridiculous. The last one adds nothing to what the planning department will already consider as part of the planning process, so can safely be ignored.

I can't see how you'd gain anything by learning the numbers of the houses involved. Proposals for new buildings are nearly always objected to, even by apparently otherwise rational people. In many cases, there are no long term issues, especially if you're a good neighbour going forward. Of course, there are some people who might remain prickly, but frankly it's unlikely you'd want to be friends with people like that anyway, so no loss.

• Like 1

Planners can only reject for reasons that comply with planning policy, which they will refer to in the letter.

'Community comments' are often just a list of personal gripes and if so are rejected by the planners as 'immaterial'.

The volume of rejections may force the decision to go to committee but that is about it.

See if you can address some, if not all, of the planners objections and re-submit - you normally get a 'free go'

You can then appeal both rejections if you feel you have grounds.

We won on the second attempt so don't give up at this stage.

1 hour ago, Bud 1 said:

Rather than the objections i think that you need to focus on the reasons outlined in the rejection letter, it is those that are the material considerations and would need to be address by any resubmission.

15 hours ago, Bud 1 said:

can anyone tell me if I can legally get the door numbers  who put the complaints in  as my council don’t advertise the complaint on the local planning web site 

For what reason do you want that information?

You need to address valid complaints, otherwise ignore. There is no need for you to know where they live.

3 hours ago, George said:

For what reason do you want that information?

You need to address valid complaints, otherwise ignore. There is no need for you to know where they 

Would  have been nice to know  the door number  because every one to your face says one thing  and then writes another 

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

????, thats so funny, the only thing the council may pick up on is “fitting in with the local vernacular” and this is totally dependant on the planners personal opinion relative to your area. Let us know how you get on (we have lots of knowledge here about planning refusals and even going to appeal!!!!).?

?

4 hours ago, jack said:

No, you have every right to be aware of the content of objections that are made, otherwise you have no ability to address them.

If those are the only objections you've received, I'd just ignore them. If "I have looked on that open land for years" were a valid objection, nothing would ever get built unless it were completely out of sight of every other dwelling. "kitchen smells" is simply ridiculous. The last one adds nothing to what the planning department will already consider as part of the planning process, so can safely be ignored.

I can't see how you'd gain anything by learning the numbers of the houses involved. Proposals for new buildings are nearly always objected to, even by apparently otherwise rational people. In many cases, there are no long term issues, especially if you're a good neighbour going forward. Of course, there are some people who might remain prickly, but frankly it's unlikely you'd want to be friends with people like that anyway, so no loss.

Thanks jack

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Planners can only reject for reasons that comply with planning policy, which they will refer to in the letter.

'Community comments' are often just a list of personal gripes and if so are rejected by the planners as 'immaterial'.

The volume of rejections may force the decision to go to committee but that is about it.

See if you can address some, if not all, of the planners objections and re-submit - you normally get a 'free go'

You can then appeal both rejections if you feel you have grounds.

We won on the second attempt so don't give up at this stage.

Thanks

5 hours ago, jack said:

@Bud 1, I missed the subject of your post. Have you actually had a formal planning refusal?

yes

i have now put another lot of plans in   to rectify the first lot(Which  i am not going to appeal ) which i am happy with. The neighbours comments seemed madness to me on first lot of plans ,just wondered if most  neighbours we  like this building your dream home ?So just going to wait now ,will keep you posted 

thanks jack and  every one  for your comments 

39 minutes ago, Bud 1 said:

The neighbours comments seemed madness to me on first lot of plans ,just wondered if most  neighbours we  like this building your dream home ?

You can ignore any comments, even from Parish Councils unless they make 'material' objections - material objections are to do with the planning laws.  Most neighbours wouldn't know a material objection if it hit them in the face and Parish Councils are not much better.

If the comments are about views, loss of value in their property etc. then they have no 'material' value.  If they are about things like loss of light, there are rules for this that you can check etc.   But never forget that the planning officer assigned to your case can make subjective decisions, as @joe90 said - fitting in with the local vernacular could be something they pick up on. But we have permission to build a 2 storey tin shed between 2 bungalows on a lane of (ex) council houses and the officer said it was great that someone wanted to build a contemporary building - mind you, that was after we won the appeal on their first attempt at getting it right.  ?

Good luck

Simon

19 hours ago, Bramco said:

You can ignore any comments, even from Parish Councils unless they make 'material' objections - material objections are to do with the planning laws.  Most neighbours wouldn't know a material objection if it hit them in the face and Parish Councils are not much better.

Not all the time. It depends on the council/Parish council relationship. I once sat on a Parish council planning committee and despite having a retired barister as chair and all our objections being in line with planning law, we were almost entirely ignored. It was a waste of time. However, with our current development, our application was recommended for approval by the planning officer, but the manager referred it to the council's planning committee because the application was considered contentious. The Parish council had objected, despite those objections being non-material. We only had one other objection, again all non-material.

The committee approved our application and I suppose if it hadn't we could have appealed, but what a waste of time and money for everyone. But during the committee meeting several other developments were refused only on the basis of Parich council recommendations, with one councillor specifically saying that they had to listen to the local opinion as they know their area best!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 12:53, SimonD said:

But during the committee meeting several other developments were refused only on the basis of Parich council recommendations, with one councillor specifically saying that they had to listen to the local opinion as they know their area best!

Wow! That is very poor! Let's hope they have plenty of money:

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/councils-lose-12-million-in-planning-appeal-costs

On 16/04/2021 at 16:25, Bud 1 said:

i have now put another lot of plans in   to rectify the first lot(Which  i am not going to appeal ) which i am happy with. The neighbours comments seemed madness to me on first lot of plans ,just wondered if most  neighbours we  like this building your dream home ?So just going to wait now ,will keep you posted 

As long as the revised plans address the reasons given for refusal you should be OK.  If you have gone through an architect I am surprised they were not asked by the planners to make some changes, rather than a straight refusal.