How to pick a toilet remotely?

23 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Very helpful @Onoff thank you. With the 98cm frame, is there any scope for changing the height of the flush plate by a couple of inches so that it it is a bit higher than the top of the toilet seat?

Not with these no:

25531294755_a4cb577b90_k.jpg

On 21/03/2021 at 09:31, Adsibob said:

I’m looking for a toilet with the following characterics:

- spacious so that one’s dangly bits don’t touch the inside of the bowl when sitting on it (I never thought this would be an issue , but the rental where we are living in at the moment has this issue and it’s horrible);

I'm not sure any showroom, lockdown or not, allows for real world dangly bit interference tests, do they? ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonD said:

I'm not sure any showroom, lockdown or not, allows for real world dangly bit interference tests, do they? ?

I think if I’m sat on the toilet (fully clothed of course) I could look down and use my imagination to visualise if I’d fit. There really is not much of me down there to fit and I had never thought this would ever be an issue with toilets. I think I’ve just been traumatised by the very odd loo I’m having to use at the rental we are staying in whilst doing the building works.

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I think if I’m sat on the toilet (fully clothed of course) I could look down and use my imagination to visualise if I’d fit. There really is not much of me down there to fit and I had never thought this would ever be an issue with toilets. I think I’ve just been traumatised by the very odd loo I’m having to use at the rental we are staying in whilst doing the building works.

Take your clothes off then sit on it . Far more fun 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2021 at 08:27, joe90 said:

I prefer a lid closed unless it’s being used, there was an advert on TV recently for nice bathroom smelly stuff, it showed someone flushing the toilet and air particles (smell) emanating from the pan, this would not happen if you shut the lid before flushing (then you can use/see the flush plate). Perhaps that’s why it was designed that way?

@joe90 and the salesperson I met* at a showroom today are at idem on this point. Apparently, i've been exposing myself to all sorts of dangerous fomites by not closing the lid before I flush all these years! Not sure I'll change a habbit of a lifetime now though...

*thereby undoing the whole purpose of this thread! Turns out it is still possible to go to some showrooms as long as you make an appointment and cover yourself in protective gear.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

@joe90 and the salesperson I met* at a showroom today are at idem on this point. Apparently, i've been exposing myself to all sorts of dangerous fomites by not closing the lid before I flush all these years! Not sure I'll change a habbit of a lifetime now though...

*thereby undoing the whole purpose of this thread! Turns out it is still possible to go to some showrooms as long as you make an appointment and cover yourself in protective gear.

I think your toothbrush needs to be at least 2m from the WC pan...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/03/2021 at 18:30, SimonD said:

Agreed. At today's showroom visit I managed to get around this my measuring a crucial dimension with my finger. It turns out that German made brands such as Duravit are much more spacious than their Italian equivalents (e.g. Catalano).

21 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Agreed. At today's showroom visit I managed to get around this my measuring a crucial dimension with my finger. It turns out that German made brands such as Duravit are much more spacious than their Italian equivalents (e.g. Catalano).

Haha, brilliant. I can only imagine what that must have looked like. Probably better than asking the rep to turn around as you pull your trousers down! ?

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 20:10, ToughButterCup said:

Ah toughen up the lotta ya! Go and sit on an old style German crapper. That'll make men out of you.

german-toilet-1024x683.thumb.jpeg.209a6cdaa9a89f434b408d58ade5f619.jpeg

Man, that takes me back. We had those in our house in Switzerland when I was growing up.

What really toughened me up was what we had outside the cottage in Sweden. Something looking like this:

depositphotos_96776430-stock-photo-outho

Shovelling the sh*t every year was something I thankfully managed to avoid!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 10:51, PeterW said:

with rimless you have to watch the flush pressure as you can get spill over on some bowls and will have to somehow restrict the flush - not easy with a built in cistern !!

Researching this further, I’ve discovered Grohe do an “optional flow manager” which they describe as follows:

“• Rimless ready
• Fully adjustable
• No demounting necessary
• Adjustable via revision opening”

Haven’t yet managed to work out which Grohe models come with this option yet and whether Geberit also offer this. 

On 04/04/2021 at 20:14, SimonD said:

What really toughened me up was what we had outside the cottage in Sweden. 

Yep: you don't waste time reading your copy of the Church Times when you're on an outside pooloo. 

In an earlier existence I did a lot of climbing in Wales.  There, outside the climbing hut there was a Ty Bach  - suspended precariously over a stream. 'Twouldn't be allowed now. Modesty prevents further description of testosterone-soaked male activity surrounding successful use of the facility. Especially when the stream was in spate. Which was often.

Oh how we laughed. Sad.

So I had decided on the 620mm projection Duravit Durastyle wall hung rimless toilet having finally managed to make my way to the showroom and try it out for size. Very comfy and as reported earlier in the thread, no dangling issues (as measured by my finger!)

The only issue is that now that the build is progressing I'm wondering if I have space for it. Duravit also make the same toilet in a shorter 540mm projection. The two toilet diagrams are shown below. Having not tried the 540mm model (they didn't have it in the show room) I'm now wondering whether it will be feel that much smaller. The 80mm difference is partly accounted for by the 45mm difference between the hingepoint of the seat and the rim of the seat, but that doesn't seem so meaningful. Or is it?

What projection toilets have you installed in your builds?

image.png.548dd9c10eed3903e6b02571d90ec57c.png

image.thumb.png.eae99efa52a5db70f6324b5fd0d59eae.png

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tanneja said:

@Adsibob, can I ask what bowl you went with in the end?

All Duravit rimless:

Duravit ME Starck, and then a slightly smaller D2 Happy for the under stairs toilet, and the slightly bigger P3 Comforts for my big bottom.

i tested all of them at CP Hart (not properly tested, but whilst wearing Lycra I sat on the seat for a bit) and they were all pretty comfortable.

Including the expensive soft close slim toilet seats, worked out about £480 each in the CP Hart sale. I think if you push hard, CP Hart will give you those prices outside of sale season too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

@Adsibob did you put in cisterns which were OK for rimless toilets?

I have grohe rapid sl cisterns but its a lottery if you get spillage (which i absolutely dont want) when you flush. I don't need rimless but seems to open up more options

These days, the standard Grohe cisterns are so pathetically light on volume of water that I don’t think spillage is an issue. I think all of mine are fine. There is a slight amount of calibration on the cisterns if there’s any issue. 

I have a brand new, still in the box Duravit P3 Comforts with soft close lid and wonder gloss finish on the porcelain  if anybody wants to buy it off me. Cost me about £480 including the soft close seat but I will consider any sensible offer. 

• Like 1