Super thin floor tiles

Pocster

I’m thinking ahead ( probably by a year ?

But I’ve got to tile this large floor . Don’t fancy grinding the screed lower !

That tile is around 8mm ; without adhesive or Matt it lips the door ?

Anyone installed any 4mm floor tiles ? ( I think that’s the thinnest you can get ) I still need to get a decoupling mat and adhesive under there somehow ! . I usually use a 10mm notch to give a 5mm bed . Can I go lower ? 4mm notch to give 2mm bed???

image.jpg

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What would it matter if it were a few mm above the door with a suitable edging?  It is a sliding door so does not need to clear the door.  Building regs allow a 15mm step in a "level threshold"

I just worry about chipping - but yes edging could prevent that . I just wanted it completely flush . Getting ocd the more I tile 

Does that grey upright member overhanging the tile in pic 2 slide with the window?  If that is what has to clear the tiles I would be attacking the bottom with the multitool to give enough clearance to allow the tiles to sit a little higher.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Does that grey upright member overhanging the tile in pic 2 slide with the window?  If that is what has to clear the tiles I would be attacking the bottom with the multitool to give enough clearance to allow the tiles to sit a little higher.

Yes it does ! It will look like a horrible hack if I do that . The frames are coated and my dremel ( and it’s owner ) aren’t confident of ability to make a neat job of it 

Just now, pocster said:

350kg x2 doors ?

Ill pass on that ?

Why, do you have a gap at the top? 

Undo the fixing screws, cut the sealant, get 4-6 of those blow up window lifters, pump it up and re secure it. 

Its not like you nedde to lift it out, the hard bit is already done. 

Man up ya big girl. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why, do you have a gap at the top? 

Undo the fixing screws, cut the sealant, get 4-6 of those blow up window lifters, pump it up and re secure it. 

Its not like you nedde to lift it out, the hard bit is already done. 

Man up ya big girl. 

Gap at top ????

Finishing flush would be nicer like you want, I'd say you may have to suck it up and lift the door if there is space at top? Short term pain but long term gain?

I'm sure I have seen @nod say before that the bed depth should be the same as the tile depth?

1 minute ago, LA3222 said:

Finishing flush would be nicer like you want, I'd say you may have to suck it up and lift the door if there is space at top? Short term pain but long term gain?

I'm sure I have seen @nod say before that the bed depth should be the same as the tile depth?

Unfortunately it is 

plus 6 mil for matting 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Never heard of karndean . Quickly looked at the website - what actually is it ?? 

Strips of vinyl glued directly to the floor

Its similar price to tile 
Looks and feels like timber slats 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just grind the screed. ?

you know that if you don't you'll look at the bodge job you end up doing and regret it.

(although Amtico is a nice product. had it in the last 2 houses in places)

Edited by Thorfun

1 minute ago, LA3222 said:

No gap at the top for this !