Asbestos removal

LSB

2 hours ago, Dunny1234 said:

Hi Joe, how much did you pay for the skip, and what size was it. Thanks 

Gosh it was a couple of years ago now, I think it was a 6 meter skip and cost about £400, it also depends how far they have to take the stuff.

3 hours ago, Dunny1234 said:

Hi Joe, how much did you pay for the skip, and what size was it. Thanks 

Thanks Joe, got a pile thats been gathering dust in the corner of a field for years. Everyone always talks about the removal side, I just need a skip. It’s been there for 10 years, time to get rid of it maybe. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dunny1234 said:

Thanks Joe, got a pile thats been gathering dust in the corner of a field for years. Everyone always talks about the removal side, I just need a skip. It’s been there for 10 years, time to get rid of it maybe. 

we were quoted £500 for a skip, which must then be double wrapped as does each individual item that goes in it.

We have 10 full sheets, 2 half sheets, 5 ridge sheets and 2 gutters.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 13/01/2021 at 12:26, joe90 said:

I got an asbestos skip with lid and filled it myself, dressed like a nuclear scientist, got a “ticket” that covers its removal and that included the quarry it was being put into, copy went to BCO on completion.

I strongly suspect we have some so getting a company out next week to give me a quote. Terrified of the size of hole it will blow in our budget. Was also thinking of dressing like a nuclear scientist, been looking at this https://www.protectivemasksdirect.co.uk/jet-stream-switch-go-unit-8hour-en12941-1999-th2psl-dust .

Edited by CalvinHobbes

i was quoted £600 to remove and dispose of a corrugated asbestos roof off a 14x16 ft double garage last year. then another £600 to remove and dispose of the walls.

be interested to see what you go with as im obviously in a similar boat 😁

Edited by gaz_moose

On 13/01/2021 at 12:06, George said:

Licenced waste carrier that can take hazardous waste, I think you can check here:

https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers

You need to do all that is reasonable and practicable to check it is legal. So record the emails/phonecalls that you have had to demonstrate your due diligence. 

How often do they update the database.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-skip-hire-boss-operating-7911527

image.png.f40f643124e6e11a1676226c14c6b89e.png

• 4 months later...

We've got an Atcost barn to be demolished, which has asbestos in the roof (had contractors out to size it up). I think they wanted about £6k to take it down and dispose of it. I figured that seemed reasonable.

We had a local farmer come down to talk about something else, and he was like "ah, just take that down yourself, it's not that hard." I'm wondering if that could be a fairly easy saving?

9 minutes ago, Drellingore said:

We've got an Atcost barn to be demolished, which has asbestos in the roof (had contractors out to size it up). I think they wanted about £6k to take it down and dispose of it. I figured that seemed reasonable.

We had a local farmer come down to talk about something else, and he was like "ah, just take that down yourself, it's not that hard." I'm wondering if that could be a fairly easy saving?

I removed a Nissen style concrete asbestos garage a few years ago. As suggested if contact someone like Biffa and they can supply a sealed container. I hired a Genie type lift to lower the pieces down. Keep it well watered, now cutting with a saw.

• Thanks 1

Double wrap it and take down the local council tip.

Only conditions are 200gsm polythene sheeting and apply for your free asbestos disposal licence.

When they opened up the skip so I could put mine in, there we're all sorts of split random rubble sacks of the stuff in there. So it was obvious some people don't take it seriously.

I can take three loads in per month but they don't log your visits... fine by me.

• Thanks 1

It can work out quite expensive and time consuming if you need to take it to the local tip.

What does it cost? 

Material Description Charges from 1 August 2019

Asbestos

Bonded type only

A small domestic roofing sheet is approximately 180cm x 90cm.  You will be charged for any item the site staff believes contains asbestos.  All asbestos must be double wrapped/bagged in strong plastic.

£10.80

Per sheet or bag

It may be different where you are though. This one was 5 x 10m.

IMAG0528.jpg

We had a 6 yard skip from local waste operator for stripping old bungalow, lined with a https://www.123bigbags.com/uk/asbestos-bags/asbestos-removal-bags-355x170x115?channable=4060eb6964003538320e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhsTV5_uz_gIVpO_tCh191Q5eEAYYASABEgJzUfD_BwE and paid for weight and haulage!

Good quality masks and PPE and hosepipe running continuously, think about 3 ton in total.

Recall about £1200.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 13/01/2021 at 12:27, markc said:

Many organisations use the fear of Asbestos to print money.

Last big building we took down had around 8 tons of Asbestos cement roof sheets.

A word with HSE and we were told it was low risk asbestos cement, but we couldn`t flame cut or grind the old bolts off as these cause dust. We had to hammer the bolts through the sheets and place all the sheets in a covered skip for transport by the registered waste company.

This is my summation of the situation as well.  The fact that you can dispose it at your local recycling centre indicates to me that asbestos cement roof sheets are no where as deadly as these companies portray in their marketing spin.   I have a job like this shortly, and I am going to suit up and do it myself.   From sites I have looked at, it would appear that you will pay around £1000 to have the roofing removed from a single storey extension.

2 hours ago, flanagaj said:

I am going to suit up and do it myself. 

Hose and watering can will quickly prevent any dust from scattering, which is the main / only risk.   Well, apart from falling while doing it.

Have a look at the guidelines on the HSE website. Practical and simple, and very handy to show to concerned neighbours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

In the same skip? With masks.

You know you've packed it well and  got good value when the lorry struggles to lift the skip.

the skip was totally full, flat to the top, and yes the masks and suits all went in wrapped the same.  Chances are that there wasn't much asbestos in the sheets, but we decided to do it properly.  Skip lorry took 2 attempts to lift.

Although since then we have dug up quite a few small bits that we have been able to take to the tip, about a bucket full in total when we dug out, only about 2 inches down though, good soil under that, not sure where they came from as couldn't be seen until we dug.

It's funny, it's not until looking that those pictures that I remember the roof was curved.  We're supposed to replicate the shape with the new green roof, that will be a challenge, it we decide to try, but not on our drawings so probably won't.

The quotes we had were for about 6 - 8 k so did it for 10%.

Except one quote for £500, but we just didn't fancy finding it a week later in one of our ditches.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The cladding will curve naturally if you choose the right profile, but getting the rails right takes a bit of working out.

it's more the green roof bit that I'm not sure about curving.

That was the grand designs using glued together herringbone  tiles, didn’t they use plastic formers to hold the soil in place? (I thought it was a big gamble but looked good!!)

Edited by joe90