The on & on & ensuite saga..

Onoff

In the cold light of day..."somebody" ?needs to put the breaks on this.

Literally at risk of chucking good money after bad.

Get the WC done to make it useable then reassess I reckon.

I will not under any circumstances overboard. Just knowing what's underneath "offends" me. I'm thinking gut it then membrane the lot like I did downstairs. I will remove the shower and wall and that might just make madam see there's not that much more to "gut". The roof leak isn't tbh that bad. If I went membrane, pb, battens, low profile LEDs, pb I could maybe relax a bit knowing the leak was outside the membrane. Then just say f*** it and drop the ceiling, old Artex, rat city 'n all. It can all be bagged up and go out the window onto the flat tiled roof.

Of course extending the dormer rearwards will make it all a bit pointless! ?

In a strange, indecisive mood this morning...

This old WC detail. I don't think it's helped that the short 110mm pipe from pan to the branch has been "rocking" on the 9.5mm pb where it passes through the stud wall (clouded bit). The weight then of all that soil pipe gubbins in the eaves has been on that point. Can't have done much for the pan seal either, over time. Some scalloped bits of ply (fixed to the studs) using the 114mm Starrett are in order I think to support the short pipe for a start. Some nice draughts too coming in around that pipe!

pan_001

Looking at all this and I can't help wondering, if long term, it'd be better to take the soil waste though the floor rather than the wall. There's enough  gap between the u/side of the dormer joists and ground floor ceiling joists.

Edited by Onoff

All socket and pipe apertures in the 3/8" pb filled with cut roundels etc of pb and stuck flush with EBT & Sticks Like Sh!t. Towel rail gone.

Cistern mounting holes drilled through (got to put some timber mounting blocks on the back of the pb).

The new soil pipe hole neatly drilled with a 114mm cutter and the hole edge smeared with neat, white D3 glue. Amazing how it hardens up the cut edge and stops it from crumbling. I always do the same around socket cut outs.

IMG_20201127_242938571.thumb.jpg.b3da8147ef78a9895dcff85b16d4fb49.jpg

SWMBO will paper it hopefully tomorrow.....yuk.

Then I'll run a new mains water pipe (off the CWS before), fit the new pan and be done with this for now.

I'm thinking it's best to change the WC fill to mains from the current CWS tank feed? Quicker fill etc.

The original feed is that capped 15mm hanging in mid air.

Low down left there's x3 15 mm copper pipes I ran when I did the downstairs bathroom. Middle one is mains. Thinking  to chuck in a 15mm compression T there and come straight up and through the wall albeit with some fancy pipe bends. 

IMG_20201122_150314640

I thought I was being so clever when I tidied up the lighting wiring and put it in that white wiring centre, neatly clipped to the joist. I've now had to move that for the new soil branch position. As least I've also gotten rid of that towel rail spur to the right of the old soil pipe hole. That is in fact the DOWNSTAIRS ring! 

The original wiring and plumbing here varies from taking the shortest route to the longest but always the easiest! Joints galore on both ?

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm looking around for a 1200 x 800 shower tray. I'm thinking to go the tray route 45mm 'ish high. Thinking

Stone resin

ABS capped

Non slip

90mm waste 

Anything else I should look for?

Portable crane by the sound of it.

• Like 1

I have one packet of fixings came with the pan set:

IMG_20201128_161949436.thumb.jpg.f587f54afaaba08d3a7ccdbc2a2a9537.jpg

The little plastic inserts fit the pan but also the cistern (the holes that bolt it to the wall).

IMG_20201128_162050830.thumb.jpg.d55bc2e37d40598b24db679074514fa8.jpg

Surely the fact these fixings come with little chrome dome nuts, means they're the ones meant to bolt the pan to the floor?

I can't use them anyway as I'm going into an 18mm t&g chipboard floor aka Weetabix!

This doesn't bode well. SWMBO has stuck the cheapest of cheap, I'll fitting, pi$$ trap self adhesive tiles over the old vinyl that was there. I can't therefore even bond the pan down ? The previous pan at least had 4 fixings. Just wait till it gets my fat ar$e on it!

1606580821686891516716.thumb.jpg.f6a70266c1588f89d423d734ef3fd05d.jpg

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Isn't that stud wall going for the bigger shower, so what's the point in doing the floor yet?

I'll give you her number, you ask. Seems irrational thought / insanity is all part of the menopause. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Cistern bolts

Just use a couple of 5x75s and glue a mirror cap over the top. Won’t move then.  

6x80 A4 stainless screws into the little plastic inserts to hold the pan down.

For the cistern, 4.5x45 A4 stainless through some cut down Fischer fixing sleeves:

IMG_20201128_213201333.thumb.jpg.ed9f2bb7943df7caeb024dab131bfe2a.jpg

The Cistern screws go through into some extra, 4x2 noggins I put in:

IMG_20201128_213317456.thumb.jpg.541e8c5e82300ee200653ceab62016c9.jpg

Yet to connect the waste and mains water.

Edited by Onoff

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just for stopping the draught from the uninsulated eaves space.

surely the quickest way to stop that is to seal from the eaves side ..? Can you also not stick some polystyrene insulation on the back of those boards to stop condensation ..? Would only need to be 30-50mm but would make a big difference. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

surely the quickest way to stop that is to seal from the eaves side ..? Can you also not stick some polystyrene insulation on the back of those boards to stop condensation ..? Would only need to be 30-50mm but would make a big difference. 

I can certainly squirt something in from the back. 110mm pipe in a bang on 114mm hole. Pipe sat on the bottom of the hole so 4mm at the top and less as you go round. It's just something to cover the "ooze" room side. It was insulated in there with old, fluffy roll stuff. It's in good nick and some can go back in.

Just ordered one of those collars @PeterStarck linked. Tbh you said about them before when I had that soil pipe problem at the rental. Going over there now actually to see about this inspection hatch for BG.

• Like 1

Typical! I have a leak. I think from around where the stud comes out the bottom of the cistern. Dripping down by that wing nut. Either that or the flush is getting by the big foam rubber washer that's compressed between pan and cistern. Pretty sure it's the stud. I'll back it off and reassemble with some CT1.

IMG_20201129_173424027.thumb.jpg.b8599b5e5a9c8d3ca4a638edd33a3fec.jpg

Playing with some copper off cuts and going to do a one piece, multi bend feed pipe off the mains.

IMG_20201129_173449093.thumb.jpg.dc1baf0cc7d641e743f22e96d49f2dae.jpg

IMG_20201129_173449093.jpg

Did you tighten the wing nuts equally to compress the doughnut washer level?

Do the studs fit through the cistern? or onto a metal plate that is fitted to the outlet of the flush mech?

Edited by wozza

2 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Is there a nut on the stud, between the cistern and the pan?

Yes. See the picture below, this bolt goes through a nut on the other side.

2 hours ago, wozza said:

Did you tighten the wing nuts equally to compress the doughnut washer level?

Do the studs fit through the cistern? or onto a metal plate that is fitted to the outlet of the flush mech?

Tightened equally. Hopefully it's not the big washer on the main flush mechanism.

The studs go through the cistern. My money's on it being this:

IMG_20201129_200052388

Could be anything, the pan/cistern has sat in the garage for years.

(Given me loads more space now (in the garage). I now have room atop the freebie Bosch integrated fridge for even more cr@p! ?)

Edited by Onoff

One piece 15mm feed for the cistern. This will come off a compression T I'll fit to the centre 15mm pipe (mains). Optical illusion, the T is loose though looks like it's fitted to the furthest 15mm pipe:

IMG_20201129_195914241.thumb.jpg.c19c51494af2e0c595f3b6f8f0c57b37.jpg

IMG_20201129_195923440.thumb.jpg.4f175bd6623a4d266c71d2667ef42027.jpg

Still got to re site the wiring centre for the lights.

I'll get to the horrible, original wiring sometime. Tests out OK, just a mess.

Edited by Onoff