The on & on & ensuite saga..

Onoff

The horrible ensuite wc here has never been right. 'Eventually' I'll fit a wall hung WC but in a different position if I ever get to extend the dormer. For now though I need to sort this. There's a drip from the flush pipe that's been filled with ancient silicone, might even be boss white tbh. The 110mm (brown) outlet pipe slopes upwards slightly too and now the pan connector has a drip. I think it's a crappy Floplast one.

IMG_20201116_200114283.thumb.jpg.27674048261b9b996283cb068cfb8c48.jpg

IMG_20201116_200100717.thumb.jpg.806339d197045859cb06322125bbbd39.jpg

I can't for the life of me tell what the difference is between these two McAlpine pan connectors:

This:

ae235.jpeg.a0f0b96e0b5d557d78955d7e87543b16.jpeg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-macfit-mac-1-wc-straight-pan-connector-white-90-112mm/78806

&

223516012_ae235(1).jpeg.fc42ceb2ff7cd779916bcbfd4f9944dd.jpeg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wc-con1-straigt-rigid-wc-pan-connector-white-110mm/2866p

Edited by Onoff

Hi On Off, I can't help much with words of wisdom, but having to climb the soil pipe wont help. I expect that you are getting water sitting at the pan connector and just not getting away. Empty the pan, raise the toilet on a bit of ply perhaps. Or a crap load of silicon, put on in Two coats, and dont use it for a couple of days.

4 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Hi On Off, I can't help much with words of wisdom, but having to climb the soil pipe wont help. I expect that you are getting water sitting at the pan connector and just not getting away. Empty the pan, raise the toilet on a bit of ply perhaps. Or a crap load of silicon, put on in Two coats, and dont use it for a couple of days.

SWMBO wants a new pan. Tbh no 'effin difference to what's there. So this weekend it's old one out and new one in. The "new" one is the one that came with the bathroom suite. Put that to one side when we went wall hung. 

Wtf not just sort this one???

She'll paint a room ceiling again and again where the flat roof is leaking. Or buy expensive wallpaper and paste on the hardboard walls we have here in place of pb. Beats me. Getting very like her mother! ?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Length ... CON-1 is 117mm, Macfit is 140mm, 

Must be reading a different bit...

Says Macfit 130mm, CON-1 120mm under More Info unless I'm missing something. For 10mm I thought it must be some other difference. The EVA construction maybe?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Normally the pipe flows down hill from the pan, so anything will drain down away from the pan.

But if your pipe is going up hill then yes "stuff" will settle there.

I wonder if I'd be better with the WC-CON1...

Probably overthinking it but irrespective of the angle, the section behind where I'm pointing will fill up with "stuff":

IMG_20201117_202309529.thumb.jpg.781e0964fe11520a024c8ee99e88b787.jpg

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Surely where I'm pointing with the pen is going to fill up with "stuff"?

IMG_20201117_184946922.thumb.jpg.770cd82b26e185682727c0e19eff8193.jpg

Yes, I've seen that before. You need to connect that white bit to the waste system. Do let me know if I can be of any more help... ?

Edited by MJNewton
  • Haha 1

FFS!

The antiquated en suite... ceiling (Artex), walls ( 3/8" pb) and floors (18mm non moisture resistant T&G) need replacing. That's let alone if I extend the dormer a bit.

Replacing the WC just now and SWMBO pipes up "Could we do the shower?"

That means move the dividing wall to the right to incorporate the sliding shower doors I got originally for the downstairs bathroom before I decided to go for the wet room corner.

IMG_20201122_123057088.thumb.jpg.3b5fd5e0c9a5ef02e3964f0d9b69e1c2.jpg

IMG_20201122_123104831.thumb.jpg.da05b4f8f92215580b7f20099f9b2434.jpg

Whatever we do there's a risk of the failing flat roof above undoing everything.

Only saving grace is the sliding door set is for a 1200mm wide enclosure. Dodged that one for now I think! 

Just been to measure.  The WC room in our static caravan measures 690mm wide.  That is definitely at the "cosy" end of the spectrum. Placing of the loo roll holder needs care so it is not in the way, and there is even a tiny wash hand basin to squeeze past on your way to the loo.

The wall between the shower and WC will be fine at 100mm so will buy you a bit more "room to manoeuvrer" but why not make it a glass panel of negligible thickness?

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just been to measure.  The WC room in our static caravan measures 690mm wide.  That is definitely at the "cosy" end of the spectrum. Placing of the loo roll holder needs care so it is not in the way, and there is even a tiny wash hand basin to squeeze past on your way to the loo.

The wall between the shower and WC will be fine at 100mm so will buy you a bit more "room to manoeuvrer" but why not make it a glass panel of negligible thickness?

Unfortunately this is looking to be a "goer". Just measured from the centre of the downstairs WC to the tiled wall and that's 450mm. Losing 2" of that would still work i.e 400mm centre to wall. 

Watch this space.

I'm going to try "But you'll lose the towel rail!" Always thought it super unhygienic there anyway. (I always get one from the cupboard). 

Holy Thread Drift Batman!

& so it begins, the anti Christmas story...

WC is now moving to the right. 1st problem there's a stud in the way. I'll be taking that out shortly with the multi tool. Let's hope the corner of the dormer doesn't fall down ?

IMG_20201122_150804551.thumb.jpg.641b563b100b19062b341bf157d46834.jpg

IMG_20201122_150314640.thumb.jpg.a335fcf878513676cebc3cc7beaf8461.jpg

Look on the bright side.  At least now you can get the pipe falling away from the pan.

Now I am not usually a betting man, but I will wager this will NOT be complete before Christmas.

I am not yet convinced this thread will rival the length of the "boxing in" thread.

BUT. Looking at all that space in the loft.  I would fit a back to wall pan and concealed cistern in the loft.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Look on the bright side.  At least now you can get the pipe falling away from the pan.

Now I am not usually a betting man, but I will wager this will NOT be complete before Christmas.

I am not yet convinced this thread will rival the length of the "boxing in" thread.

BUT. Looking at all that space in the loft.  I would fit a back to wall pan and concealed cistern in the loft.

The MAIN bathroom won't be finished by this Christmas!

Geberit concealed / wall hung is the plan but "later" when I extend the dormer.

I did just suggest it but she doesn't want to spend £195 on another Bernstein pan. FFS we probably bin that much in food that goes out of date every few months but that seemingly is OK. 

Chalk and cheese, she just showed me the new wipe clean wallpaper. Apparently it'll be good because of the leaking roof! 

24 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Have a look at that bathroom auction I linked to - £40-50 fora wall hung pan 

I did thanks but SWMBO wants them all to look the same. If not they would apparently annoy her...in this house! ???