Basic garden room insulated slab

daiking

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If you’ve never laid bricks then buy one of these.

https://bricky.com/building-tools/bricky/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoMTU7NeL7QIVIe_tCh39GQ7FEAQYASABEgJ9dvD_BwE

I was pleasantly surprised how good they are - no use for anything non-standard or reclaims but great for smooth engineering bricks. 

+1.

The guy who invented it, Noel, is a pleasure to deal with. I bought a kit years ago and instead of the advertised Marshall trowel it came with a Rolson copy. I emailed him and got a Marshall trowel plus a couple more of his brilliant string line holders and pointing tool. A personal email from him too.

36 minutes ago, daiking said:

Quoted £1500 to dig out, 100mm hardcore, 100mm insulation, 100mm concrete.

If I want bricks for no thermal bridge that’s obviously extra £££

That’s £1500 to dig a hole and put £450 of stuff in it.

£80 of stones,

£120 of polystyrene

£250 of concrete

just checking 

10 minutes ago, daiking said:

That’s £1500 to dig a hole and put £450 of stuff in it.

£80 of stones,

£120 of polystyrene

£250 of concrete

just checking 

Is that not £1050 to dig a hole to put £450 of stuff in it, or is it £1500 in labour plus the £450 materials? (tongue in cheek)

Edited by dangti6

13 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

Is that not £1050 to dig a hole to put £450 of stuff in it, or is it £1500 in labour plus the £450 materials? (tongue in cheek)

You are just being pedantic 

you know what it means ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daiking said:

Quoted £1500 to dig out, 100mm hardcore, 100mm insulation, 100mm concrete.

If I want bricks for no thermal bridge that’s obviously extra £££

I hired an excavator, wacker plate and small dumper. The dumper was needed to move some of the soil i dug out and the concrete from the front of my house around to the back. Also used excavator to dig trench for power cable. Think excavator was about £160 for a weekend. 

Edited by Temp

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

but have you decided on which floor yet?

First step in the dance is to move the shed to survey the area properly. 

If it’s like usual the ground will be full of tree roots and organic matter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve dug out the old shed base and have made a rough guess of where the cabin will sit.

the ground is pretty claggy clay and full of root matter from when the garden was completely overgrown. There’s close proximity to a couple of tree, a slight fall left to right and on the right hand side behind the tree and chain link fence it is the bank of a stream. We’ve not had flooding but the highest stream level came up to the base of the chain link fence, approx 100mm below the ground level there.

85DD8E2C-BAD4-45E0-92EE-350F658A1A08.jpeg

At the rear left corner, it’s currently only about 0.4m away from the tree which I imagine will be a little close. I think I will be able to move the position forward a little and rotate around the front right to bring that rear left corner away from the tree.

2AABA2EF-D516-49EB-9E19-21D09D940372.jpeg

I’m still at a loss as to what sort of base to build. My wife wants a concrete slab but I want it properly insulated. I will struggle to build something straight and level

enough.

I’m not looking for something super insulated, it’s a 45mm thick log cabin and I won’t be insulating the walls, only the floor and roof. It’s not going to be used all the time so I’m wondering if it would be a mistake to include the slab in the thermal

envelope as it will always need heating up when we use it. Whereas a cold slab with insulation on top with a floating floor might be warmer?

But I wouldn’t want it to literally float if there was a flood ?

I’m looking for the lowest skilled solution.

Edited by daiking

I still think ground screws would be best for you/that location with insulated timber timber floor. Any ground heave from flood or roots will have minimal impact.( I prefer woodwork to concrete/bricklaying). 

I think the cost is worth the lack of hard graft shifting concrete etc, just wind them in to the level you want ?.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2

*sigh* it’s the feeling of solidity she wants with a concrete base - it makes a such a difference in the house.

The log cabin sits on a (approx) 50mm thick timber beam around its perimeter when on a slab so I’d expect to put 25mm of PIR on the floor in between timber bearers with a floating chipboard floor on top. (I’m expecting the finished floor to be an engineered wood floor)

with that in mind, is there a significant difference in real life with the thermal properties of an insulated slab with insulated upstand inside a short wall or just a shuttered slab with insulation beneath the centre but not at the edges?

I just dumped my shed (aka office) on a scaffold board timber deck. Built the shed and then lined it all with 40mm pir. I chucked laminate flooring down and it’s solid, no bouncing about. Stays toasty warm with a little £10 oil radiator thingy. 

Tell her she’ll get what she gets and be grateful about it! ... unless she wants to dig the base and barrow the concrete in. ??

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I just dumped my shed (aka office) on a scaffold board timber deck. Built the shed and then lined it all with 40mm pir. I chucked laminate flooring down and it’s solid, no bouncing about. Stays toasty warm with a little £10 oil radiator thingy. 

Tell her she’ll get what she gets and be grateful about it! ... unless she wants to dig the base and barrow the concrete in. ??

mine wasn’t insulated as it was just for storage but I have just dismantled a very solid shed base with a scaffold board deck. The scaffold boards didn’t do very well that low to the ground ? some rot in the outer edges in my location. 

It’s been unusually cold for 2 weeks now so this still isn’t getting done. Was supposed to be marking out a trench for the footings with some string but balls to that at -1 deg. Will be warmer tomorrow in the rain which is nice.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

It’s been unusually cold for 2 weeks now so this still isn’t getting done. Was supposed to be marking out a trench for the footings with some string but balls to that at -1 deg. Will be warmer tomorrow in the rain which is nice.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/memes/comments/e9ht6u/bro_tip_wear_a_period_pad_to_keep_your_nuts_warm/

2 hours ago, daiking said:

Northern pu$$y! ?