Basic garden room insulated slab

daiking

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

Are you sure you’ve thought this through? Looks a bit amateur-ish to be honest.

That’s all onoff does: think it through... it’ll be 10+ years before it’s put into action, but he will be able to walk around it using his VR goggles. ?

Edited by Gav_P
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

That’s all onoff does: think it through... it’ll be 10+ years before it’s put into action, but he will be able to walk around it using his VR goggles. ?

St Peter to @Onoff  - So, what did you do with you life?

Reply: This. (Presents iPad containing 367 3d models of planned projects)

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, goatcarrot said:

Great project. Thinking of doing same sorta thing. I presume it wouldn’t be permitted development in a field rather than garden? 
Hoping to build a real house in the field too but not got a design or planning yet... 

Er, thanks but it hasn’t really got anywhere yet and the (pre-made) kit arrives on Monday ?

The plan is to finish it before lockdown finishes so no rush just yet.

On 29/01/2021 at 10:35, Bitpipe said:

If his 'mind palace' is sufficiently rich then he need never build it at all.

Worst case he can just live out his days on VR like on Ready Player One

Artists impression of the mind palace

EE2EB6C6-5BE1-4E9A-AEA3-A929F14B2FA3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, goatcarrot said:

Great project. Thinking of doing same sorta thing. I presume it wouldn’t be permitted development in a field rather than garden? 

Just put wheels on it, Shepard’s hut!!!,

12 minutes ago, daiking said:

Artists impression of the mind palace

EE2EB6C6-5BE1-4E9A-AEA3-A929F14B2FA3.jpeg

Belongaonoff!

Not too far off the mark tbf. Second hand shed that was destined for firewood. Stocks circa 1863 from the chimney on my first house. Used the original door T&G to block the side windows. Made a stable door for the front.

Given the spaces I have, wtf was I thinking? Should have sold it as firewood down the gate and built something bigger!

SAM_7329_zpsb4906bb6

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... the plans for the cabin show a (much) different height to the the nominal height figure in the promotional literature (2462mm vs 2240mm) Which would breach the PD rules if I continued along my current path. 

So I wanted the block foundations to be finish above ground level to keep the timber of the walls off the deck. Now They need to be lower. A bit more digging and the timber will be closer to the ground. The 'foundation beam' (a ring of treated timber on the blocks) may even be laid at or below ground level due to the height. 

There's a 300mm overhang on 3 sides (1200mm on the 4th) and I was going to put gravel at the base anyway like a french drain so hopefully that will all be ok. 

Whose stupid idea was this in the first place? 

I am trying to make sure the base of my trench is level by starting in one corner and working my way round. I’ll be honest, it’s not working. I shall try again tomorrow.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, joe90 said:

Practice makes perfect ?

No it doesn’t, it also tells you when to give up. Spent the afternoon trying to dig through the roots of the beech tree in the last photo. 

it’s trunk is over 50cm in diameter and I’m digging on one side about 1m away, a trench about 40cm deep.

I believe beech does have shallow roots but I’m mostly cutting out stuff about 25mm diameter. It’s not going to fall down ? 

Edited by daiking