Extension- Last Stuff.

Why don’t you put the frame back from the edge by a couple of inches, less likely to see the difference, and it’s an old cottage so this is called “character”.

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Why don’t you put the frame back from the edge by a couple of inches, less likely to see the difference, and it’s an old cottage so this is called “character”.

Which way do you mean joe? towards camera, or in away from camera ?

Anyway Ive had to crack on, so the top of lining is proud / towards us. Btm is flush. Ive got lining offered in/ plumb etc/ looks great. Packing away but all falling out/ sods. Anyway I gotta fix in the header really before packers i just thought. But before that I need to consider the block:

Ok next problem is the lower 1/3rd of jams will need to fix thru the pB > into the block behind (no timber on these two lower corners). Ok I'm loathed to move my lining now, spent ages getting it plumb/ sqaure etc.

Is there any way of fixing thru jam into the block, without moving the timber away? or is thye only way drill pilot hole/ remove whole shebang/ put in plug/ put whole lining back in-?

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Is there any way of fixing thru jam into the block, without moving the timber away? or is thye only way drill pilot hole/ remove whole shebang/ put in plug/ put whole lining back in-?

I drill with a 6mm drill through wood and into blockwork,  carefully tap rawlplug (red) into the wood , hammer it through  into the block with the screw and a hammer and then tighten the screw.

Or use 7mm drill and brown raw plug.

Edited by joe90

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Frame fixings. Counterbore the jambs first with a flat wood bit. Then cover with the stops.

I saw my electrician fix a door lining piece, similar principle, onto my solid wall.. but doing exactly this idea I want to do: IE with timber in place he drilled right thru into wall, didn't move timber, got the plug & screw in. I cant understand it (bc surely the plug wont go thru the timber hole.. or if it does/ if hole's made big enough, the screw will pass thru it too, so timber cant be fixed).

He looked at me after this 3 min job like i was a idiot.. but I still don't know how he did it.

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I saw my electrician fix a door lining piece, similar principle, onto my solid wall.. but doing exactly this idea I want to do: IE with timber in place he drilled right thru into wall, didn't move timber, got the plug & screw in. I cant understand it (bc surely the plug wont go thru the timber hole.. or if it does/ if hole's made big enough, the screw will pass thru it too, so timber cant be fixed).

He looked at me after this 3 min job like i was a idiot.. but I still don't know how he did it.

He probably used frame fixings.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

yes, but a bit late now.

well its not, cos Ive only offered the lining in. but I dont get it! but anyway yes I m going with how Ive offered it in.. unless its a NO! dummy! you'll then not be able to xyz! I hope not.

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

well its not, cos Ive only offered the lining in. but I dont get it! but anyway yes I m going with how Ive offered it in.. unless its a NO! dummy! you'll then not be able to xyz! I hope not.

be carefull drilling next to the edge of the block, especially at the top if the frame is proud, it will probably split the edge off the block, if it were me I would still move the frame into the opening a bit.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

He probably used frame fixings.

I think I have some in fact.. but wtf is the difference between them & a plug & screw?! does my nut in  (hence spark looking at me like an idiot.. I think cos I tried to use them, like you would a normal plug.. & couldn't work out why it kept spinning iirc).

You see unless I understand what the difference is, I cant really know how to use them properly.. & they'll spin again.

Just now, zoothorn said:

I think I have some in fact.. but wtf is the difference between them & a plug & screw?! does my nut in  (hence spark looking at me like an idiot.. I think cos I tried to use them, like you would a normal plug.. & couldn't work out why it kept spinning iirc).

You see unless I understand what the difference is, I cant really know how to use them properly.. & they'll spin again.

YouTube frame fixings

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

be carefull drilling next to the edge of the block, especially at the top if the frame is proud, it will probably split the edge off the block, if it were me I would still move the frame into the opening a bit.

But I just dont get the atchitrave addition then. unless Onoff tried to explain with the 'tack' reply.. but now I'm getting really confused (again) cos I didnt understand that reply/ what its relating to.

I think I can fix to the block ok if careful, & put them in the inside/ away from camera.. maybe fill nearside with pB glue foam as a fix.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

YouTube frame fixings

Yes wss going to do.. but can you explain difference between them & a std plug?

Why are there specific 'frame fixings' at all, if a frame is just a bit of wood/ nothing specific, and whatever its fixing to similarly is nothing specific either.

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

YouTube frame fixings

Just done- but still dont understand. I have right here 8x80mm ones. I look at youtube it says drill 8mm hole > he fires it in, tightens it up in 30 secs.

If I have the plug section head, -wider- than the head of the screw............ how the flying feck can it pass thru the 8mm hole??????? magic?????

Ive never known such a head****. This is why I had to get my spark to do it once (did it 30 secs, but the ^ with some from this very pack, but Q remains). does my total nut in.

Never has a screw and plug, made someone so cross. Calmed down now.

Going pretty good, lhs jam fixed in, solid, no frame screws! Had a bit of stud i could use, actually all the wobbly stud i was worried about fixing it to, all behaving.. major luck that.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

how the flying feck can it pass thru the 8mm hole??????? magic?????

It doesn’t ... head of the fixing ends up on the outside of what you are installing - the “plug” fits in the timber but doesn’t go all the way through. 

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It doesn’t ... head of the fixing ends up on the outside of what you are installing - the “plug” fits in the timber but doesn’t go all the way through. 

Right!.. no wonder my spark looked at me funny. But I just tried it.. & disaster/ the screw spins in the plug/ no torque at all. 8mm drill hole, felt it go into the block behind, pushed it in, I mean wtf.

@joe90 believe me Ive watched this 3x.. but still can't do it!!

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yeh they are called hammer fix sometimes for a reason ... 

yes depends which fixings you have, some are hammer as Peter says, how did your spark do it, hammer or screw?, try bashing it in a bit then screw.

Tried another, got this one gently hammered in, but way too tight so then head has blitzed/ driver not anywhere near the power, cannot remove it. absolute disaster. thank -god- its the non-hinge side.. but I still need to fit it in. i dont suppose p'B foam glue will have the strength to stop it bowing out over time. hateful things.

11 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Tried another, got this one gently hammered in, but way too tight so then head has blitzed/ driver not anywhere near the power, cannot remove it. absolute disaster. thank -god- its the non-hinge side.. but I still need to fit it in. i dont suppose p'B foam glue will have the strength to stop it bowing out over time. hateful things.

Sounds like you did not drill deep enough, needs to be a bit deeper to accommodate dust etc. Did you have the correct driver bit? They are usually no 3,s