Extension- Last Stuff.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

If he licked his finger first he could at least gauge the direction of the draught maybe?

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

No just the opposite. You are trying to find out the overall cause. It could be caused by length of time of occupation, airtightness or many other things but without knowing the level of humidity in each room and how they are being used and are constructed it's just finger in the air guessing.

Without knowing the measured level of humidity it's very difficult to say. The human body is very bad at determining temperature and humidity. Putting your hand in hot water or cold water can feel the same. Sitting in front of a stove will feel different to sitting in another room at the same temperature. Some people find it uncomfortable with low humidity and others with high humidity. You need to measure what you find comfortable in terms of temperature and humidity. If you find that you are more comfortable with lower humidity then you will need to install some form of ventilation in the rooms that need it, but without knowing the levels you've got nothing to work with.

But Peter you are now suggesting anyone just cannot tell an uncomfortably clammy-hot room.. to a pleasantly-dry room unless measuring it. Of course you can, we all do. You know at your barbados villa when its clammy its clammy, at your saharan villa when its dry air its dry air. Did you need a device to tell you of these obvious huge climatic differences? No. Similarly I know every time I see parents, & it feels far drier when i get there so much so its a lovely relief & identical each time over 5 yrs.. I know this is not something I might possibly only be perceiving; it is a fact it is drier, i dont need a measurement 'or Im not able to say so'. Paper is soft & limp here, its normally dry there (as of i need any proof.. but there it is anyway) is a useful and succint example of what is found/ tangibly/ fact.

Its a similar huge difference between these two areas of the uk.. and.. my disparity in these rooms. Made even more bizarre as you'd expect the total reverse as to what Im finding if the old damp room feels normal dry with heating on.. & the new dry room feels unusually humid with heating on. If its a humid day, you - can-  just say it is humid with an acceptable degree of certainty. 2 million years.. we've evolved enough to sense things well enough!

.It seems like my fkn ashp waking me up & leaking still, im stuck in a catch22.. can't put dehumidifier on overnight- noise will prevent sleep. Cant run CH as it should- noise will prevent sleep. Seal room so its airtight to aid heat containing, but must vent the room so heat escapes & like now Im bloody cold again having had window open for 5 hrs. And then the 'bag' analogy also inevitably facilitating moisture build up (so how can i make sense of this counterintuitiveness). Old damp room feels dry.. new dry room feels damp etc.

If I dont get the cup for longest thread, ill surely get it for longest fkn word (20!). If it is a word. Thx zh

The human body has no nerve receptors for damp, read about that in Bill Bryson's latest book about the human body.

What we can detect is temperature and rate of temperature change, couple that with life experiences, we can interpreted a rate of change as damp.

If anyone has got into a cold nylon sleeping bag, it can often feel damp at first, even when bone dry.

Why do some people think that measuring and collecting data is pointless.  Or do they like to compare themselves to me, 6' 2", West Indian, and very strong.

Barbados is only humid on the East side where the plantations are, the rest is a rather pleasant climate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Even the spammers are avoiding it.

Perhaps we will get some ransom ware on this thread . We all have to pay £10 to get it unlocked . You’d pay for us all I know you would .

Edited by pocster

56 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

But Peter you are now suggesting anyone just cannot tell an uncomfortably clammy-hot room.. to a pleasantly-dry room unless measuring it. Of course you can, we all do.

Yes you can think it's hold or cold or whatever but do you think everyone would think the same. The point is that without a standardised measurement nobody actually knows what the room is like. I might like the room you call clammy and not the other room.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

If its a humid day, you - can-  just say it is humid with an acceptable degree of certainty. 2 million years.. we've evolved enough to sense things well enough!

There's always a degree of humidity and you might say it feels more humid than yesterday but you could be wrong because as I said we can't sense things as well as you think humans can. A lot of things can affect how you sense humidity, such as air movement or temperature. Are you sure you can sense the difference between an RH of 50% and 60% in different conditions. You are measuring humidity using the feel of sheet of paper and I measure it with a hygrometer. Using the hygrometer is more accurate and if you're trying to ascertain differences between two rooms you would be better off using a hygrometer and thermometer.

Solution for @zoothorn

https://www.vesternet.com/products/zwave-plus-aeotec-arq-temperature-humidity-sensor?utm_campaign=Latest Products 12%2F02%2F20 (VnDdqM)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=All&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogImJSUDN6YSIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJwb2NpcG9jc3RlckBvdXRsb29rLmNvbSJ9#description

So he installs a z wave hub , z wave everything . We setup a vpn so we can all access his heating etc . 
Then we can all turn it on and off ! . Plenty of stats generated for @SteamyTea to muse over .

Anyone remember the old film Demon Seed ??? ?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

The human body has no nerve receptors for damp, read about that in Bill Bryson's latest book about the human body.

What we can detect is temperature and rate of temperature change, couple that with life experiences, we can interpreted a rate of change as damp.

If anyone has got into a cold nylon sleeping bag, it can often feel damp at first, even when bone dry.

Why do some people think that measuring and collecting data is pointless.  Or do they like to compare themselves to me, 6' 2", West Indian, and very strong.

Barbados is only humid on the East side where the plantations are, the rest is a rather pleasant climate.

I can't feel damp.
Every time when taking putting away the washing I have to ask "is this damp, or is this cold?"

• Like 1

Is there a “Previously on Lost...” synopsis so I don’t have to read the entire thread to understand the current sitrep?

I hope the network don’t lose interest and cancel the show leaving us with a rushed and deeply unsatisfying conclusion.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

Is there a “Previously on Lost...” synopsis so I don’t have to read the entire thread to understand the current sitrep?

This thread has reminded me of Lost in more ways than one. Maybe the DHARMA Initiative installed the ASHP?

• Haha 1