Cost for good quality triple glazing

joe90

Well there's some interesting prices in here, which does make me wonder if I'm being taken for a ride.

Prices exc VAT for 8 Topswing Windows, an Entrance Door (with two sidelights), Laminated large fixed window and some sliding patio doors (3.0*2.1)

Rationel 9363.57
Velfac 15076.05
Nordvest 12975.38
Nordica 13728.60

When Challenged Velfac immediately offered me a special discount down to 9750, but were incredibly pushy, high pressure sales people. which instantly makes me ignore their calls.

Still waiting to hear back from internorm, idealcombi and a local 3g pvc company

Can anyone advice on the likelihood of getting a better deal from rationel, or is the price you get the price you pay?

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Like 1

Recent experience from others here seems to suggest that Rationel are often pretty keenly priced and good quality.  That's something that has changed in the last three years or so, as when we got quotes Rationel were around the same price as some of the higher-end companies.  We also found a wide variation between suppliers for very similar specification windows, ranging from around £24k down to around £8.5k, (all installed price, with cills).  Top price when we were getting quotes was Internorm (who also had the longest lead time), Munster Joinery were the cheapest, but I'd hesitate to recommend them, as they are a complete PITA to deal with.

We fitted Rationel Auraplus windows and couldn't be happier.  Almost a year on now since they were fitted.  Obviously time will tell in terms of longevity, but they are performing well keeping out all the wind and rain Orkney can throw at them.

Certainly when I pushed the Rationel supplier, they came back with a better offer.  Certainly worth trying.

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at triple glazed windows. We have about 41m2 of windows/doors including a 5m slider which I think is accounting for the most variance in the quotes

This thread is a year old and i wonder what allowances should be made for inflation. I'm getting intial quotes from Rational, Ideal Combi, norssken about 440 to 600 or so per m2 for alu clad, not including fitting etc includes 3 exterior doors, french window and the slider. More quotes coming. Ideal combi is the cheapest so far because of the spec/price of the slider.

Has anybody got any more current prices to add ?

Any suggestions please message me.

Edited by Lin

I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but...

Have you considered Eurocell's Modus Range? 75mm profile, and with the correct glass will get you a Uw of 0.81, for a pretty reasonable price. I got a quote for a Window which we had made by another supplier who use Liniar profile, and ended up a 1.1Uw, and Eurocell were cheaper! The Modus Profile is also suitable for passivehouse, but isn't a certified component, its been designed with PH in mind. Pretty sure you'd get a good discount on them too.

I've quoted recently for 48m2 worth of windows and the prices range from £356 to £485 per m2. You can see a chart of them below:

image.png.18420e2e8214c4f844f3849b8db17220.png

PM if you want the breakdowns in excel!

Edit: X axis is the area averaged U value of the whole window (glass and frame combined)

Edited by Visti
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but...

Have you considered Eurocell's Modus Range? 75mm profile, and with the correct glass will get you a Uw of 0.81, for a pretty reasonable price. I got a quote for a Window which we had made by another supplier who use Liniar profile, and ended up a 1.1Uw, and Eurocell were cheaper! The Modus Profile is also suitable for passivehouse, but isn't a certified component, its been designed with PH in mind. Pretty sure you'd get a good discount on them too.

I have had quotes for upvc including that brand from window/supply fit companies. Not including the slider window which i would get in alu, the modus works out about 350/m2 + VAT. is that what you would expect ? No u value stated

I  have a quote for grey triple upvc not including slider that works out half the price of the modus with u-value 1.3, but can go down to 1.1 with extra low e glass.

49 minutes ago, Visti said:

I've quoted recently for 48m2 worth of windows and the prices range from £356 to £485 per m2. You can see a chart of them below:

image.png.18420e2e8214c4f844f3849b8db17220.png

PM if you want the breakdowns in excel!

cool chart !

Do you think you get good quotes because you are a regular buyer ?

4 minutes ago, Lin said:

I have had quotes for upvc including that brand from window/supply fit companies. Not including the slider window which i would get in alu, the modus works out about 350/m2 + VAT. is that what you would expect ? No u value stated

I  have a quote for grey triple upvc not including slider that works out half the price of the modus with u-value 1.3, but can go down to 1.1 with extra low e glass.

Still seems a bit on the high side for what we got quoted.

Spec i asked for was: Eurocell Modus which is 75mm profile (4/16/4/16/4 Optiwhite Pilkington KS Pilkington KS Argon SuperSpacer Premium Full Thermal A++ 31 0.8U)

Price was £386, and window size (2 side openers, 1 top, 1 fixed pane) is roughly 1.7m2, though it is just a price on an email, so theres the chance they could have quoted wrong, but I would hope not since i gave them the exact spec.

I found that things like fitting and external cill profiles can make a big difference to prices.  Internorm, for example, gave us a quote, but when I enquired further I found that when fitting and external cills were added to the price it went up by over £3k.

As with all things, it seems the devil is in the detail, and not all companies quote an all-inclusive price.

just for a comparative pricepoint,  we're looking at roughly 35m2 including composite front door, sizeable multipanel front windows, and a set of french doors, over 16 openings.

Supply and fit 70mm UPVC wih foiled exterior and units in 4/20/4 DG with warm edge and low-E, we're looking between £170 and £200/m2

12 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

just for a comparative pricepoint,  we're looking at roughly 35m2 including composite front door, sizeable multipanel front windows, and a set of french doors, over 16 openings.

Supply and fit 70mm UPVC wih foiled exterior and units in 4/20/4 DG with warm edge and low-E, we're looking between £170 and £200/m2

Did you get a price of baskil for there future proof 3g range???

Sadly, we are still having warranty problems rectified by them, nearly three years after installation.  They are responsive, and they do fix the problems very well, but it's far from an ideal situation.  On the positive side, the performance is very good indeed.  The major issues we've had have been related to the challenges of dealing with the company and some pretty clear manufacturing shortcomings.  I can say that the good windows and doors are fine, so if you are fortunate enough to get a good set from them, with a good installation team, then I doubt you'll have problems.  They are winning a great deal of big contracts around here.  At a guess they must have supplied and fitted well over 500 new builds with doors and windows over the last year or so, so the big developers (Persimmon, Redrow etc) are using them a lot.  I'm not convinced that's necessarily a good sign, but it does mean that our local defect rectification guy (with whom we're on first name terms, he's been here so often) is pretty damned good.

We had Munster in a previous property (installed by builder) they looked great they were replica Victorian sashes and mostly the windows were ok but getting them out for repairs (we had a lot of issues in first few months) was an absolute nightmare. They were difficult and unreliable and we were less than 10 miles from their  English HQ near Stratford upon Avon.

We did ask them to quote for this build ... not sure why really......anyhow they were just as much of a nightmare trying to get a quote out of them so we gave up eventually, probably for the best.

@dogman On the glazing bars.......ours fell off too. They were just held on with little bits of velcro type stuff and the fitter who came out to repair gave me bag full to keep and said they fall off all the time just stick them back on yourself!

@Declan52 mine were not the mass market ones. It was a building that was newly converted from a victorian school. It was a heritage conservation project and the windows were a special commission.....the project features on their website in the commercial section.....the conversion formed a number of 3 storey houses that sold for over £700k each. The windows were a major job  and a first for Munster in meeting the quality and standards required while still looking like the original sashes to meet the needs of the historic building officer.

The windows looked quite magnificent and in keeping with the proportion of the rooms...I had 15ft high ceilings in my sitting room. They were a triumph of style and were high quality spec just not up to the same standard on the finish with niggling issues that they were slow to attend to as most of their repair men  were occupied on the mass market jobs.

• 1 year later...