Poor quality?

willbish

I took delivery of a prehung doorset from an online door retailer.

Is this quality a bit below standard?

I was expecting them to use a jig and router but it has been hand chiseled. I reckon I could have done as good a job myself despite only having done a few hardwood external doors.

IMG_20200903_121628.jpg

IMG_20200903_121043.jpg

IMG_20200903_120825.jpg

IMG_20200903_120804.jpg

OMG! the lock rebate looks awful, yes ive seen much worse on new build houses but anyone selling `pre-hung` doors etc should be geared up with the necessary tooling and jigs etc.

I would complain and want a decent discount as a minimum.

Is it possible that that door originally came with different hardware and was changed to what we see now. Both the hinge and door catch are not for them holes. Either that or Stevie wonder has bought a set of chisels and a lump hammer. 

No chance I would be paying for that.

50 minutes ago, willbish said:

Would it be appropriate to name the company? 

Just hold fire on that and give them a chance to rectify the situation first. You can then come back and update one way or the other and paint a complete picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Just hold fire on that and give them a chance to rectify the situation first. You can then come back and update one way or the other and paint a complete picture.

Why?  Even if they do rectify the problem I would like to be aware that they have sent out substandard products. I vote name them, at least via a PM if not publicly.

I am soon to be in the market for a few pre hung door sets and would like to know so I can avoid them. 

@willbish I have sent you a PM.

Mainly because the true test of how a company operates is how they deal with a complaint. They could hold their hands up and offer a full refund or replace the door. Or they might not. 

But the very least is you give them a chance before they get ripped to bits here.

• Like 1

Sorry but in my opinion a true test of how a company operates is how they perform first time round, this is not a faulty product or something that has been damaged - why was such poor workmanship allowed to be dispatched to a customer. 

I am not interested in ripping them to bits - I will just avoid them.

19 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Mainly because the true test of how a company operates is how they deal with a complaint. They could hold their hands up and offer a full refund or replace the door. Or they might not. 

But the very least is you give them a chance before they get ripped to bits here.

I totally agree with this, everyone makes mistakes, it's how far they go to put it right that shows a good company. It could be down to one employee who's done that job and passed it, which is shameful.

18 minutes ago, wozza said:

Sorry but in my opinion a true test of how a company operates is how they perform first time round, this is not a faulty product or something that has been damaged - why was such poor workmanship allowed to be dispatched to a customer. 

I am not interested in ripping them to bits - I will just avoid them.

They might just be a reseller and can't check every single product they sell. Could be lots of different reasons so let's just let it play out and when the situation is resolved one way or the other then the post can be updated.

So 8 days since I raised the issue with this company, they are really testing my patience and we've not agreed an amicable solution.

To their credit they have offered a replacement, it's just that they have nothing even remotely similar in stock. Lead times are a number of weeks.

A partial refund for repair has been offered, £55.45 My response was to ask if they could put me in touch with the joiner that will come to fix it for that ?

I have proposed that due to the time delay, inconvenience and cost of repair a full refund would be appropriate.

Unsurprisingly, no response from them. One email a day max is all they seem capable of.

Disappointing how a company can fall from 'Business Award Winner' in just a couple of years

58 minutes ago, willbish said:

A partial refund for repair has been offered, £55.45 My response was to ask if they could put me in touch with the joiner that will come to fix it for that ?

how is a joiner going to fix rebates  that are too big?-unless he is going to fit larger door furniture 

24 minutes ago, Vijay said:

pay by credit card? If so get them involved and then tell the supplier they can deal with the credit card company if they don't refund within 7 days

Unfortunately not, section 75 would be real handy right now 

It won't be a joiner who puts that right. It will be a magic man (French polisher type) A Pal of mine had to do 300 doors in a hotel like that, together with scratches, dinks etc. they fill and colour to remove the faults. I met him years ago, when i had a level (not stood in a corner) slide fall, and clonk a very expensive wood edge. A couple of hours later, and no matter how hard you looked, you could not find the large dent.

Unable to reach a reasonable solution to this issue, I am going to post the last correspondence from Doordeals Ltd below.

After receiving the below email, I asked Doordeals Ltd if they were happy for me to post their email on a public forum. 48hrs later, I assume their lack of response indicates they couldn't care less.

Hi Mr 

After looking into this further we deem the issue to be minimal and easily fixable. . 

We don't see any issue with the hinges and the lock cut can be repaired easily, this is due to the specification of the doorset being altered. 

We have previously offered to collect and repair the door which we would do as and when passing and then redeliver. This would have a lead time involved.

If the doorset has been worked on or attempted to be hung we would not offer this option as the door would be classed as accepted.

Alternatively we would offer the good will gesture payment as previously stipulated by my colleague Tim for £55.45 to repair the door on site. 

These are the only options I would offer. alternatively we would happily see you in court. 

Regards

Their offer to collect and repair the door seems reasonable and it is. Although they are hiding behind the fact I explained in my initial complaint that I was pressed for time and looking for a speedy response. They asked if I would like a replacement and I agreed. It took 6 days to establish that they don't have anything remotely similar in stock.

A company who cared could have had the door collected, repaired and possibly on its way back to me by day 6.

This is clearly a company that doesn't care about quality or customer service. Avoid 

What exactly did they mean by they could collect the door when passing?? As in I think we might be in your area in December, January and will lift it then type of thing or did they give you an approximate time scale to do this.

I think you have been pretty fair with them throughout and have gave them enough time to come to a satisfactory conclusion which so far they haven't. 

So what happens now are you going to try and source bigger hinges and lock to try to hide the poor work???

No timescale to collect. Judging by the speed of communication it could well have been Christmas.

I'm going to take the £55, and yep get some larger hinges.

With regards the lock, no idea yet, filler and then router? I just need to get the frame fitted tomorrow for the renderer to start.

Will sort the door another day