Solar Quote Help Please

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Is that Western Power?

Is the word 'potential' yours, or theirs?

Yes WP.

Let me re-phrase. I am not allowed anymore export i.e. I have 2 x 3.66 inverters ( one for pv other on Tesla battery ). Apparently that's my limit. I should mention I'm not particularly worried about export - I want to keep as much as I generate as possible. They did inform me that in my area for future installs they may have to limit it to 3.66Kw. The example she gave was if all my immediate neighbours all suddenly decided to have PV and export they would have to reduce export due to infrastructure limitations. DNO's are under lots of pressure. Government says 'go green' yet the DNO has to manage the variable export that could occur ( bet they have fun in summer )

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Yes WP.

Let me re-phrase. I am not allowed anymore export i.e. I have 2 x 3.66 inverters ( one for pv other on Tesla battery ). Apparently that's my limit. I should mention I'm not particularly worried about export - I want to keep as much as I generate as possible. They did inform me that in my area for future installs they may have to limit it to 3.66Kw. The example she gave was if all my immediate neighbours all suddenly decided to have PV and export they would have to reduce export due to infrastructure limitations. DNO's are under lots of pressure. Government says 'go green' yet the DNO has to manage the variable export that could occur ( bet they have fun in summer )

Chuck a DC Solarwatt battery on before the inverter and it’s not notifiable. You could put as much as you like in then as the only AC coupled stuff would be your existing equipment. ?

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Chuck a DC Solarwatt battery on before the inverter and it’s not notifiable. You could put as much as you like in then as the only AC coupled stuff would be your existing equipment. ?

Yep I believe that is exact what I am doing. 1st Solar Edge battery goes in in May; will allow space to piggy back another 2.

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yep I believe that is exact what I am doing. 1st Solar Edge battery goes in in May; will allow space to piggy back another 2.

please keep us (me) updated on this as, due to various reasons I won't go in to here, my Powerwall install has been cancelled and so before I go and find another installer for a Powerwall I thought I'd investigate other battery options and will be interested in your other battery experiences. interesting that you're going Solar Edge battery and not the Solarwatt that @Nickfromwales is suggesting. I thought Solarwatt had more experience in the battery segment?

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

please keep us (me) updated on this as, due to various reasons I won't go in to here, my Powerwall install has been cancelled and so before I go and find another installer for a Powerwall I thought I'd investigate other battery options and will be interested in your other battery experiences. interesting that you're going Solar Edge battery and not the Solarwatt that @Nickfromwales is suggesting. I thought Solarwatt had more experience in the battery segment?

It was only because the installer who bothered to reply to my many questions recommended SE. ( probably they don't do SW ).

I email loads of companies on anything I am interested in. No reply, or a weak reply, or just a "brochure attached " means I bin them. If they can survive 10 emails of questions then it shows me they want my business and $$$$$.

I would add another Tesla battery but aren't allowed . With SE I can do what the (expletive deleted) I want.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

cancelled and so before I go and find another installer f

Tesla installs are at least a 6 month wait; I've been told. I believe you are 3 phase - so you could in theory have 3 of the bad boys.

SolarEdge ( as I said may for install ) so that's not too bad. No idea about SE - but @Nickfromwales is a plumber/tiler - not sure his expertise expands into battery storage .?

Just now, SteamyTea said:

How, and what, are you going to monitor all this?

It is OK fitting all this extra kit, but it has to power things internally, so you need to know the Who, What, Where and When.

Not sure what the question is here?

Monitor it? ; my PV production, how full or empty a battery is? ; my daily consumption/export? - you mean all that??

Through the APP! - come on Cornwall catch up!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Through the APP! - come on Cornwall catch up!

That will probably only give you a general overview.

It would be nice to know that if you have a load of say 300W, and your PV/Battery combo has 500W generation, and your water needs 1 kWh (see, I have changed units, for a reason), would you know how your system is performing?

Edited by SteamyTea

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

That will probably only give you a general overview.

It would be nice to know that if you have a load of say 300W, and your PV/Battery combo has 500W generation, and your water needs 1 kWh (see, I have changed units, for a reason), would you know how your system is performing?

Not sure how you are going to measure "performance " ?

My view of performance will be how small the electric bill is.

I *could* in theory add HA to water tank ( even every electrical appliance and socket ) so I could see exactly what is using how much.

But - I'm sure exactly how useful all that info would be.

Just now, pocster said:

I *could* in theory add HA to water tank ( even every electrical appliance and socket ) so I could see exactly what is using how much.

But - I'm sure exactly how useful all that info would be.

Well only to the heavy loads, i.e. water heating, car charging, oven and hob useage.

It is very useful.  How I get such a low usage and lots of time without any usage.  Times without any usage are, in your case, charging times.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Well only to the heavy loads, i.e. water heating, car charging, oven and hob useage.

It is very useful.  How I get such a low usage and lots of time without any usage.  Times without any usage are, in your case, charging times.

Yeah I could do that. It would be easy to add. I did think of things like that some time ago. But playing with these things will need to take a back seat for now....

4 hours ago, Thorfun said:

80% guaranteed at the 10 year anniversary with SolarWatt, vs 70% with Solaredge.

SW are using the same cell tech as is rolling out in the new BMW EV’s. SolarWatt are 100% owned by the brother and sister who own 80% of BMW. Pretty robust in terms of warranty longevity imho. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don’t you achieve that by not turning anything on much or at all

Yes, after a couple of years detailed analysis.

when I first started logging energy use (about 13 years ago), I used a desktop PC that was drawing 100W, 24/7.

Also found out that my DHW was heating up, cooling down, heating up again, cooling down, and quite often heating up again.  So limited thee time that the heating starts in relationship to the time I use it.  Going to fine tune that a bit more this year as I think I can probably save another kWh.day-1.

Also, being away a lot this winter, I have found the best setting for my storage heaters, then put a 50p piece on them to easily adjust the input side.  That is a job that is crying out to be automated.

Everything else is now such low energy, except the washing machine, that it is not worth worrying about i.e. I don't care if I leave a 3 W LED on, or my 8 W laptop download from bittorrent all night.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

SolarWatt are 100% owned by the brother and sister who own 80% of BMW

You never driven a 1 series, that would put you off the brand for life.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 hour ago, AliG said:

I’m off to Disneyworld tomorrow.

Surely it’s basically free if I turn the heating off while I’m away.

Depends how much heat energy the fabric of your home loses and what it then takes to recover it. 
Better off leaving it idle at a setback temp perhaps vs off? 

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

when I first started logging energy use (about 13 years ago), I used a desktop PC that was drawing 100W, 24/7.

I deliberately leave a desktop PC, NAS, several Raspberry Pi's and a 300W dehumidifier on 24/7 to help maintain 15° in my electronics workshop. I wish there were a few more loads I could move over there from the house as the remainder of the heating demand is currently made-up with a 2kW digitally controlled panel heater. The more useful work I can get done for the same power input the better during the heating season.

Pity it's too far away from the kitchen.