Scotframe or Fleming Homes?

S_M

Hi @Redoctober I have already read your entire 'journey' blog and found it inspirational and really helpful. I'm waiting for a quote from Fleming Homes - we're on the South coast of England so not so close for us - but they seem willing, and I've already had a good chat with Max Ellis. We're also going to the H&R Show this weekend where someone from Fleming Homes is doing a talk. Up until a few weeks ago this was a renovation project(!) so I'm running to get up to speed on rebuild instead, as it looks as though it could be cheaper/less risky and a better route forward. My computer has taken a pounding with all the desk research but every article, blog, quote and phone call offers up new information so I feel as though I'm gradually getting there. Many thanks and will bear your recommendation very much in mind.

• Like 1

@kaye Thank you! I have messaged you... I think Solo is now out of the frame (haha) as they only do aluminium windows and I think we're set on aluclad. I definitely want the windows installed by the timber frame company as the installation of the windows has been an ongoing concern when this was still a renovation. Timber Frame are interesting in that they are more bespoke and prepared to build up from the existing slab, but I think in our case this might be a mistake. Probably better to start afresh from the bottom up. So my current shortlist is the same as yours was - Scotframe, MBC and Fleming. MBC don't do stairs, but have offered u/floor heating as an option, and both Fleming and MBC offer Rationel windows while Scotframe also offers Nordan. Demolition costs have been surprisingly low - groundworks I am still researching. The number of elements to look into is mind-blowing, but I think I am (slowly) getting there! 

• 2 months later...
On 11/01/2024 at 16:53, Flossy1234 said:

@kaye Thank you! I have messaged you... I think Solo is now out of the frame (haha) as they only do aluminium windows and I think we're set on aluclad. I definitely want the windows installed by the timber frame company as the installation of the windows has been an ongoing concern when this was still a renovation. Timber Frame are interesting in that they are more bespoke and prepared to build up from the existing slab, but I think in our case this might be a mistake. Probably better to start afresh from the bottom up. So my current shortlist is the same as yours was - Scotframe, MBC and Fleming. MBC don't do stairs, but have offered u/floor heating as an option, and both Fleming and MBC offer Rationel windows while Scotframe also offers Nordan. Demolition costs have been surprisingly low - groundworks I am still researching. The number of elements to look into is mind-blowing, but I think I am (slowly) getting there! 

What option did you go for in the end? We have gone the Fleming route and been very happy with it.

hi @Rick K We would have gone with Fleming Homes as they have done us a fantastic interpretation of the renovation plans which were already approved (and they have been great to work with) but sadly it’s looking like we can’t get the costs within budget. I’ve only just discovered that the Party Wall Act applies to us (even though we are detached) as we are lower than one neighbour and the two properties are within 3m of each other, and there’s another neighbour’s garage the other side. It’s probably the last nail in the budget coffin so we may end up going down the minor renovation route instead of demolish & rebuild. But we were very happy with Fleming Homes.  

Just curious that Potton don't get a mention in this thread. Any particular reason? I think they might be the biggest self build timber frame supplier.

Probably best to add, that MBC (and some others) do the cellulose filled frame vs SIPs, but tbh the SIPs I find to be horribly acoustically transparent vs a fully blown (graveyard quiet) offering.

Apples for apples quotes should consider this, as SIPs isn’t a house I’d build for myself, ever, especially one featuring a flat / mono-pitch SIPs roof! If going down the SIPs route, defo go for pozi’s in the roof and just pump that full of cellulose.

You’d thank me later, but it’s hard to fully comprehend the difference(s) unless you’re as fortunate as I am; being able to gather real live / life data from my many clients differing builds / choices (some which I now know to avoid!). 

Almost all seem to pay little homage to M&E design / integration, but in fairness MBC seem to embrace this far more than most others. Being ahead of the game with the M&E stuff can save a load of money with downstream trades, if addressed (identified and caught) in the early days (before the slab goes down). Simple things like not going for I-beams for one!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Simple things like not going for I-beams for one!

Nic can you expand, I used I beams for my floors and roof and don’t see a downside?

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Nic can you expand, I used I beams for my floors and roof and don’t see a downside?

Pulling in pipes and ducts. Be mindful that I referred to trades prices vs DIY so savings are had both ways, one in time (you) others in cost (bringing in an installer). 

• Like 1

We used ibeams for the ground floor, no services under there other than services coming up through the floor so no cutting of webs.

Posi joists for first floor, plenty of room for all services without having to butcher anything.

I only wired one house with first floor ibeams, plenty of work drilling the webs and keeping within approved drilling zones.  the plumber seemed more "flexible" about where and what size he drilled.  Why make it difficult?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

the plumber seemed more "flexible" about where and what size he drilled

And not all sparkies care (or perhaps understand)  either.

I've seen plenty of notches out of the tops of joists and holes just anywhere that suits them  for cables, ducts or pipes.

I have to assume that many site managers and building inspectors don't understand it either, or do they dismiss it as nonsense?

Does anyone know the approximate cost differential between osb flanged engineered joists or posijoists?

As the former is most used I guess it is cheaper for bulk factory orders. Posijoists will suit smaller, local  production?