Strawberry Tree Lodge update

NSS

I have to ask, why 15mm plasterboard not 12mm?

In fact I am a fan of 9mm plasterboard, especially for ceilings, so much easier to lift especially if you are doing it DIY and one of the "lifters" is SWMBO

How did they get the sheets up and hold them while they fixed them, especially on the vaulted ceilings? did they use a plasterboard lift or just brute force?  (we use brute force and a "dead man" to hold them, but I can't see how that would work on a vaulted ceiling hence the question)

47 minutes ago, ProDave said:

In fact I am a fan of 9mm plasterboard, especially for ceilings, so much easier to lift especially if you are doing it DIY and one of the "lifters" is SWMBO

How did they get the sheets up and hold them while they fixed them, especially on the vaulted ceilings? did they use a plasterboard lift or just brute force?  (we use brute force and a "dead man" to hold them, but I can't see how that would work on a vaulted ceiling hence the question)

15mm is what Scandia Hus specify and supply, but Mickey (the boarder) was really pleased to be using it and said he finds it much nicer to use than 12mm. All lifted by hand, indeed it was only some of the vaulted areas where it was a two man lift. Mickey was cutting and tacking the boards up, and David followed behind putting the rest of the screws in each sheet. I guess it's like anything, the more you do it the easier it gets.

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I scored some free 15mm board, the blue one. Sound proof one I think. Works very well.

Tidy. I need 40 sheets mate. I'll send a van ;)

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

How did they get the sheets up and hold them while they fixed them, especially on the vaulted ceilings?

I bought a PB lift / hoist. I'm going to save about 4 times its cost on labour over the next 3 jobs as they all have ceilings to reboard. You can get them with a tilting bed to deal with vaulted ceilings but I just bought a good quality, robust straight one. 

10 hours ago, NSS said:

In case any of you are interested, I've finally got our blog up to date (had some spare time due to an enforced lay off). You can find it at http://strawberrytreelodge.blogspot.co.uk/ 

Lugging 8.4t of PB 's isn't fun, but the knee sounds even less appealing :(. With 15mm, don't drop one directly on your foot as that'll smash most of the bones in it! They're heavy as hell. We're halfway through 15mm FB'ing a ceiling now and they're a doddle with the lift. I went for 15mm over 12 purely for extra sound deadening, but the extra 'robustness' is undeniable. I'll put roofing battens across these, at 90 degrees to the joists, to level the ceiling flat, then resilient bars, then 12mm acoustic PB. The idea being I can fit the slimline 6w and 9w LED lights wherever I want without compromising the fire barrier ( and no more baked bean can size GU10's for me :) ). Just fitted 5 in my boys bedroom and the light output is phenomenal, with a dispersion that spanks the arse off of any regular down lighter. ?  

@NSS, Thanks for the blog update, keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

I keep looking for one of those PB lifters second hand but haven't found one yet. (anyone close selling one?) I will probably end up buying one new and then selling it when done. At the moment I'm boarding my vaulted ceilings with 9mm OSB.

Just now, ProDave said:

I keep looking for one of those PB lifters second hand but haven't found one yet. (anyone close selling one?) I will probably end up buying one new and then selling it when done. At the moment I'm boarding my vaulted ceilings with 9mm OSB.

They are about £130 new on eBay and you can get £50 for one second hand. They are about £75 a week to hire so it doesn't need a mathematician to work that one out ..!! 

I used to be part of another forum that owned one as a collective - top of the range beast of a thing that cost about £600 and was split 6 ways and you basically "sold" your share to the next person who wanted to borrow it. 

12 hours ago, NSS said:

In case any of you are interested, I've finally got our blog up to date (had some spare time due to an enforced lay off). You can find it at http://strawberrytreelodge.blogspot.co.uk/ 

Looking good.  It's a great feeling seeing all the PB on, actually lets you see what the house is going to be like.  

I know we had the debate about the insulation previously. Have you got any heating on / heat input to give an idea of performance?

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

When our vaulted ceilings were boarded, it was a two man job, one on the scaffold tower, the other lifted a board to him.  Lowest row fixed first, rows above sat on top of previously fixed boards.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Yep. Thats the one I have too. Works brilliantly and tilts for vaulted too.

I find the 12mm stuff heavy so the 15mm must be a right bar steward to lift and fix!

Luckily I borrowed the one I used. It was either that or make one from Unistrut & conduit with a spare hand winch I have.

Easiest method I have found using two dead men, T pieces of wood in video. 

Instead of stepping up all the time I used 4 mini trestles and built a platform out of scaffolding planks so my arms didn't need to stretch up. 

For my vaulted roof a Batten at the bottom to rest the first board on Then two screws held the board in place when you flipped it up. Then as you move up keep moving the batten up to hold the bottom of each board. 

It's one of them jobs the more hands and strong backs you can get to help you the better it is.

1 hour ago, Stones said:

Looking good.  It's a great feeling seeing all the PB on, actually lets you see what the house is going to be like.  

I know we had the debate about the insulation previously. Have you got any heating on / heat input to give an idea of performance?

When our vaulted ceilings were boarded, it was a two man job, one on the scaffold tower, the other lifted a board to him.  Lowest row fixed first, rows above sat on top of previously fixed boards.

Yes, and the pleasing thing is that the spaces are exactly as I imagined they would be when I designed the place. The big difference is how light it now seems.

No heating on as such, but we did have a small fan heater running for a couple of days to help the jointing skim dry before the rub down. Wasn't on overnight but the house was still warm in the mornings.

That's basically how the boarder did ours. His lad lifted them up and then Mickey positioned and tacked them.

Edited by NSS

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

A piece of lath about 400mm long and one  screw in the middle to let it spin round to catch the edge of the board.

That's what I am doing at the moment to hold the bottom edge of my OSB sheets as I am sheeting my vaulted ceilings with OSB. I don't mind this here as the vapour layer goes on top of the OSB. but if I do the same when fixing the plasterboard, that's a nail hole through the air tightness membrane that will then be pulled out. (a lot of my PB is going straight on the OSB with no service void to maximum height)

Re working platforms, That's the advantage of something like Kwikstage. You can join it together both ways to make a really big working platform, not just restricted to a narrow scaffold tower.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That's what I am doing at the moment to hold the bottom edge of my OSB sheets as I am sheeting my vaulted ceilings with OSB. I don't mind this here as the vapour layer goes on top of the OSB. but if I do the same when fixing the plasterboard, that's a nail hole through the air tightness membrane that will then be pulled out. (a lot of my PB is going straight on the OSB with no service void to maximum height)

Re working platforms, That's the advantage of something like Kwikstage. You can join it together both ways to make a really big working platform, not just restricted to a narrow scaffold tower.

The hole that the screw in the lath leaves you put your plasterboard screw in. You just use a narrower and shorter screw in the lath. 

I agree kwikstage is very easy to make into whatever kind of size and shape of platform you need.

Time wise I can't see the benefit of using them lifting tools. Much quicker just to lift using the techniques on the video above. After you get the hang of it you would surprised how fast can do it.

I see the benefit when using fermacell or similar heavy boards.

You can get half sheets of the weight is an issue but then it's more joins.