Hi, I'm a novice and restoring an old church

NotJustin

You must be the chap who’s first jump was off the top board...

Welcome.

Is it listed in some form?

It looks weathered, but restoring render should be easier than restoring all the stonework to be pristine.

Lochcarron.

We're lightly converting to live in it. But mostly restoring. Guy before us tore a lot out without permission. It's grade 2 listed.

could be 3 floors of we wanted. At the moment there is a gallery as a second floor. We have a website www.lochcarronchurch.com

The first serious project, now we have water, loo and power, is the roof which has nail sickness. Hence a cherry picker.

Edited by Justin Tuijl

15 minutes ago, Justin Tuijl said:

We were toying with business ideas but my wife became disabled, so it's all over as a business. It's just a home.

So your idea of crowd funding to repair the roof on the basis of community use might be the wrong approach now?

Oh, it's all very convoluted. We have a community recycling point in the porch. But right now we're simply attempting to save the roof. Since lockdown we've been unable to get even a quote for the roof. Hence the cherry picker and starting to do it ourselves. As for the crowd funding, that was the option for a very rich and large family in the USA to help out, which they haven't.

Like I say, we had many plans, we missed the funding applications due to lockdown and we're not sure if we'll be able to open the doors again. My wife is still hoping to have a gaelic language studio here. But at the moment, who knows quite what is happening. We do have commercial listed building insurance and public liability insurance.

Just have to see what the future is like when and if Scotland comes out of lockdown. Number 1 is to stop the roof falling in, without the roof we have nothing, regardless of viruses, business and so forth.

Things are nuts, we're having trouble even getting batteries for the cherry picker. It was hard enough getting delivery to the Highlands before, now with lockdown, impossible

This building will be, and is, first and foremost, a home.

Unfortunately the website is a bit of a mess due to us and the world, and the building all shifting around.

Edited by Justin Tuijl

What are you doing about insulating the roof?  I suspect there is none at the moment.  If you want to preserve the original look from inside, then probably the best way is whole roof off on one go, external insulation making it a warm roof and re tile.

It's a fair project that, but you're lucky to have that spot - I love Lochcarron and will be back up there as soon as Mrs Sturgeon allows. It's somewhere I'd very much like to live - hope the hotel survives the current crisis, I've had some wonderful mad nights in there!

Currently we are think not to add insulation. We had a corner of the roof fixed that cost 5k. The guy put tons of Kingspan up there, we found out later that a building like this is designed to breath and take in water to a certain extent. Kingspan is not a good product to use. Usually the listed building advice is to use sheeps wool, or like products.

Anyway, wer'e thinking of having "pods" in the building that seperate it up. Then the main area doesn't really need insulation. We would do the whole roof in one go, but, not sure we'll manage it.

The tourists are already in Lochcarron. Don't think lochdown is counting for much. I'm not sure what businesses around here are going to come out of it well. Certainly my webdesign business is pretty much ruined.

I can promise you that the roof was not designed to take in water.

If you add pir type insulation above the rafters and re-roof, the roof structure will stay warm and dry.

I have seen sheep wool insulation destroyed by moths, even with boron treatment.