Cordless Drill

vfrdave

Folks would welcome some advice for a new cordless drill, my very old Bosch has packed in. I am just about to start a new build in January so would imagine it will get a fair bit of use after a while.  Interested in something that I will be able to use the battery in other tools or multitool.

Had a brief look at dewalt and makita but the range is mind boggling.

Thanks in advance.

I would say Makita not Dewalt of those two and go for one of their more recent battery systems.

If you are looking for a range of tools over a period from scratch, then the "packages" and "kits" are worth a look, for example:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/kits-twinpacks/cat830712

But look at each tool for gotchas, such as a multitool which needs a spanner to change blades etc.

For cordless drills, having two .. or a drill and a driver .. makes a real difference to productivity - one to drill, one to screw.

It looks a little challenging, but add up the individual costs and you will have a couple of free tools. Others may have done this.

If the upfront cash is an issue then there are any number of 2-3 year interest free credit cards available at present. The way is to take one out, and money you spend in the first couple of months or balance transfers may be interest free for a period of 24 to 48 months. Then you set up a payment which will clear the balance for when it is needed as a standing order, and put the card in a drawer or cut it up. Moneysavingexpert has the details. 

Alternatively Wickes currently have a BLACK20 £20 for £100+ orders discount code until 6/12. But don't rush on that as there will be other offers. My handyman got a midrange SDS drill 55% off last week ay B&Q, for example. It is a buyers market.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I decided to go for Makita when I started my build, and have not looked back. Forked out on a set of brushless driver and drill with 4ah batteries. I didn't fancy the larger kits as they tended to include at least one 'tool' that seemed not very important, e.g. a torch or a radio. Absolutely delighted with them. Found the best deals tended to be on eBay and mine ended up coming from Germany because the postage to the Highlands was cheaper!

I've added a circ saw, grinder, and sander (I got that secondhand) and they are all very good. Batteries last for ages unless you are going really heavy on either the saw or grinder, which usually means jamming blades.

I did briefly look at getting some gear secondhand but the prices hold up well and I decided it would be better to buy new and then sell on (I think this helped get it past SWMBO!)

what is your favourite colour? 

I run Makita and have done for a long time so they would be my recommendation, But since deWalt stopped putting nylon gears in stuff all of the big brands are much of the same

(Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch)

If you want really good, then Festool or Hilti, But i wouldn't unless someone else was paying for it, 

I would also avoid Ryobi and einhell as they still arnt up to scratch yet from what i hear.

So choose a colour and stick with it ;) 

Makita for me, all the way.  As to what to go for, I've gone with the cheapest brushless model, usually at ffx tools or similar.  I buy bare tools (no battery or case).  I've had good results with a 4Ah non-Makita battery from eBay.

In the general "drilling" area, I have an impact driver (amazing bit of kit if you've never owned one) and a one of the larger cordless drills.  Between the two of them they've handled all of the jobs I've had to do onsite, including light masonry drilling.

I've always had cheap tools in the past, but now that I've had quality I could never go back.

Got dewalt stuff. Never missed a beat. Most of it is recon (but otherwise new) stuff. Mates have got makita - none of us think there's any real difference. You stick to the make you buy first - batteries being the real reason. I would buy dewalt again if all my stuff got nicked.

Hi, it's not so much the drill that matters: bit like iPhone-Android - it's the system that matters.

Your choice of drill will inevitably colour your decision on other tools. And, unless you want several charging systems, then , like @Nickfromwales says, choose a colour and stick with it across the piece.

Ja, ze Bosch drills for me Tommy!

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

AIUI Dewalt have separated pro and consumer ranges, and the latter are not as robust as Dewalts from several years ago. 

Open to correction.

Dewalt went through a VERY rough patch, but their current pro range is very nice stuff. 

The consumer stuff usually has shitty little low power batteries which do ok for diy but you'd end up killing them if you use it for a build etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Dewalt went through a VERY rough patch, but their current pro range is very nice stuff. 

The consumer stuff usually has shitty little low power batteries which do ok for diy but you'd end up killing them if you use it for a build etc. 

I think the thing to look for with DeWalt would be brushless motors.

The other brand I like is Metabo, which are very well made, but I think they are more expensive.

Ferdinand

7 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Personally, I use Milwaukee, wouldn't have anything else,

According to the guy who runs this youtube channel (which I highly recommend recommend more generally, especially for those not easily offended by swearage), Milwaukee's quality has been falling for several years following its acquisition by Techtronic in Hong Kong.

7 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Next best would be makita, 

Just be very careful on makita model numbers though.

+1 on that.  They really don't make it easy to compare, as newer models seem to have almost the same features as the old ones, and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason in the numbering scheme.  Their range is too big, imo.

• Like 1

maybe they have improved the batteries, maybe they just put a new case on it to sell a different range, 

I wouldn't go near it for a few years, or at least until they bring out the rest of the range in it

"The G-series range from Makita is a different lithium-ion battery platform to the Makita LXT range of professional cordless power tools"

I read it as its NOT their "professional range"

Last milwaukee cordless repaired halfway thru warranty period then failed again 1 month out of warranty. Tried to get repaired as goodwill but no joy. I bought milwaukee again but only because I got 18v naked for £100 odd. 3 year warranty.

To be honest I've come to conclusion that I use a drill so much it's bound not too last for ever. If I can get a drill for £33 per year thats a good deal. Although will have to renew batteries at some point.

FFS don't go anywhere near AEG. My BiL had a "blue" one bought as end of range. Metal chuck, gears and feels solid, like it'd  pass the "drop test"! :) This before production moved to China.

On the strength of his I bought a new range "orange" AEG from Toolstation on offer. The moment I got it home I knew I'd made a mistake. It sounded like a bag of bolts, looked like a spark firing Christmas toy and felt like it was made from that bit of plastic left when all the biscuits in the tin have gone.

Took it straight back the same day to be told I couldn't return it to them but that it had to go back to AEG. Apparently I should have been told this at the time of purchase. I suggested they play their CCTV back to show I hadn't been told. Being 6'5", hirsute and having a demeanour that makes small children burst into tears I got a refund. Went to S'fix next door, bought a Makita and haven't looked back. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jack said:

Pleased I got a 5 year warranty deal on the AEG dryer I bought last year then! 

Different from the power tool business I think:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information/2742-aeg-domestic-appliances

Techtronic Industries Company Limited (TTi) own the power tool side AEG and Milwaukee, Ryobi etc:

http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands/by_brand/aeg

I've had a Milwaukee combi for 7 years, 

Drills 25mm holes through joists, even with an auger bit, put the first set of new brushes in it last Xmas, that drill gets hammered, so, maybe it is the newer stuff,

Other hammered stuff is the SDS, drills 25mm metre long through block, and the impact, the cladders couldn't believe the performance of the impact for 18v, they ranked it with their 24v hilti stuff,!!!

Been quite impressed with the Bosch 18V drill I bought for work recently. 67Nm which is a bit less than my main Makita which is eighty something Nm.

The thing with the Bosch it that it's so short front to back.

Currently using the old dewalt 18v xrp kit (drill, recip saw, circular saw, torch) bought on American eBay. apart from changing brushes on drill, bought more batteries and replaced the bulbs in the torch it has been faultless. only reason i am looking at the new battery style dewalt tools as I fancy the battery nail gun(no gas) and auto feed screw driver for plaster boarding. we are pretty hard on tools and used them daily for 6 years for day job. 

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Different from the power tool business I think:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information/2742-aeg-domestic-appliances

Techtronic Industries Company Limited (TTi) own the power tool side AEG and Milwaukee, Ryobi etc:

http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands/by_brand/aeg

Ah, interesting, thanks.