Whacking at an angle - sucking my teeth a bit - advice please

Normally I love whacking. Find it soothing. Occasionally a filling falls out , but what the heck. You end up with a nice smooooothe surface.

Now when @Mr Punter writes this, (here)

The trench will need filling in any case and there is a mile of fall on the garden....  It can probably be backfilled with the as dug and compacted to the correct level without any great harm.  Maybe use a trench compactor if there is a lot of material.

I sit up and take notice. The word probably might be important innit?

I've backfilled .... like this 

20200508_121209.thumb.jpg.f5ff0a9c47cae39f4e6a17e9d4568343.jpg

gone is the sheer cliff face, insted, theres this 40 degree 'slide' - had fun rolling the glacial till boulders downhill....

20200508_121229.thumb.jpg.f70ecedbfbe05e32acc0be11cd3bb832.jpg

And of course @Mr Punter is right: it needs compaction.

Now I never was Charles Atlas, or Geoff Capes - but Hell even those two would have found pulling or pushing a whacker up that slope a bit of a challenge.

Do I have to hire a fiver tonner and thump that sloped bit of the  trench hard with the bottom of the bucket?  

And once I have, how on earth do I get 100mm of gravel to sit nicely on the slope at 40 degrees?

Rope and pulley to wind the wacker up and down the slope?

DON'T use round gravel.  It will roll like marbles. you need crushed irregular shaped gravel that will bind together.

• Like 1

Do it in 1m sections so your not going up hill for long. 

Or

If you push down on the handle so it's sort of wheeling up then it goes up hill a bit better. 

A trench rammer is a different kind of beast. Pull the cord and hold on till your finished our your arms are ready to vibrate of you. Make sure your phone isn't in your pocket if your swinging of one of these. 

This is so easy 

hire a whacker from shop A, start at top and when you get to the bottom phone up and off hire it, when the bod turns up to collect it just point at the bottom of the hill and say there you go chummy. 

Repeat until all local hire shops have refused to serve you. 

Easy peasy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 degrees is quite a slope! I dont think you can 'Whack' your way uphill at that gradient, that's hard enough just to walk up. Id go downhill with a rope on the wacker to slow it down and hold it from the top with your hands whilst letting it out.  bring it back up with your digger.

However since you have a digger just thump the trench with the bucket to compact it every 150mm of fill, use the rounded back of the bucket to get harder compaction.

23 minutes ago, Miek said:

It's only a drainage trench in a garden so no need to go crazy over it, just basic compaction will do IMO..

so this is a ditch 

to be filled with gravel as a sloping soak away 

or is there a pipe to go in it  then back filled 

Do you need to put this pipe in now. 

How about compacting 200mm layer with your feet and then just leave it alone, I find I do lots of land remodelling around my place and leaving a few days for the weather to dry/ wet,  settled the area naturally ready for me to then stamp it down again before adding another layer. 

Think about it, just back fill for an hour and go and get on with another chore and come back in the morning to do a little dance on it, do a bit every day for two weeks and it should firm up very well. 

No whacker needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

still not on right road today --spent it all dumper driving moved about 300tons today -minimum

but snapped a few of the moderate size ones on the road side 

thats my chainsaw helmet on them to give scale .

your WEE diggers would not lift any of them 

05110001.JPG

05110002.JPG

05110003.JPG

05110004.JPG

05110006.JPG

Edited by scottishjohn